September 15, 2010

LARGE ALLIGATOR KILLED IN FLORIDA

Filed under: Animals — Scottie @ 16:10

These first 2 pictures were taken by a KTBS helicopter flying over Lake Thomas, Winter Haven, Florida.  The helicopter pilot and the game wardens on the ground were in communication via 2-way radios.
Here is a transcript of their conversation.
‘Air1, have you a visual on the gator, Over’
‘Approaching inlet now, Over’
‘Roger Air1′
‘Gator sighted. Looks like it has a small animal in its mouth….moving in, over’
‘Roger Air1′
‘Oh Crap it’s a Deer!’
‘Confirm Air1.. Did you say Deer?, Over’
‘Roger………a Deer in it’s mouth….looks like a full sized buck….that’s a big gator, boys.  We’re gonna need more men, Over’
‘Roger Air1…..can you give me a idea on size of animal, over’
‘Its a big one…..25 feet at least, please advise, gator is heading to inlet….do I pursue?, over’

That has to be a HUGE gator to have a whole deer in its mouth!
The deer was later found to be a mature Stag.
If you ski at the west end of the lake —- try not to fall overboard.

This alligator was found between Lakeland and Winter Haven Florida near the house of Anita and Charlie Rogers, who could hear the beast bellowing in the night.
Their neighbors had been telling them that they had seen a mammoth alligator in the waterway that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations.
‘I didn’t believe it,’ Charles Rogers said, but after the alligator was killed, they realized the stories were, if anything, understated.
Game wardens were forced to shoot the alligator.  Joe Goff, a 6’5″ tall game warden, shown below, walks past the 28-foot, 1-inch long alligator that he helped shoot and kill in the Rogers’ back yard.

1. http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/gatordeer.asp

Hello Diana. Thanks for writing in and giving us this information. It was a pretty big gator, but as always it is great to know the true story. Hugs

Comment by Diana Pawelski — August 30, 2011 @ 13:07

2. I am very very happy thay got that sucker.

Hello Jennie, please see Diana’s comment. She gave the link to more information on this gator. Hugs

Comment by jennie — August 30, 2011 @ 13:47

3. I wonder how old that gator was?

Hello George…I don’t think I would have stopped long enough to ask him…I would have been well out of hearing range before I touched ground. LOL Hugs

Comment by George Leask — May 11, 2012 @ 06:42

4. It’s a hoax. Check it out —> http://forteanzoology.blogspot.com/2009/06/another-alabama-alligator.html

Hello Buck. Thanks for the update. I get lots of stuff from emails. I hope you will write in more often. Thanks again. Hugs

Comment by Buck — September 8, 2012 @ 11:19

5. anything is possible but I don’t think that Gator was taken from lake Thomas. I use to live on Lake Thomas and never seen a gator over 6 foot. plus deer are rarely seen in that area

Hello Mark. You know the two posts I made on huge Gators are the ones most searched? With everything I have posted about, the gator picture and the shopping bags remain the most looked for. You could be right about it all. I got the picture and story from an email and have no idea of its truth. It seemed Ok,and the pictures were different and from some one I knew. But as your from that area I will go along with what you say. Hugs

Comment by Mark — September 26, 2012 @ 10:16

6. I dont see the need to kill the Gator relocation to the Florida Everglades or a wild life santuary would’ve been more appropriate. The Alligator was probably 70yrs old know human had been reportedly attack by the gator. It was senseless to shoot the gator.

Hello and welcome. I am not sure if we have the whole story, normally they are very careful about killing gators around here. However if they are a threat to people in some way they do destroy them. I have nothing against gators, but I do respect them. I stay out of their habitat and prefer they try to avoid mine. LOL…. best wises, hugs.

Comment by T. Dunbar — April 24, 2013 @ 15:53

7. Why didn’t someone call The Gator Boys to come and catch the alligator instead of them just shooting it? I wonder how old that alligator was?

Hello Dawn. I don’t know when the pictures were taken, or even really if the story with them is true. It was sent to me by email, and I posted it. I have no idea how old the gator was. Be well, thanks for writing. Hugs

Comment by Dawn — May 28, 2013 @ 16:16

8. That’s alot of bs, if u go to myfwc.com you can view largest gator in florida taken was 14′ 3 1/2″. taken in Orlando 2010.

Hope your enjoying my blog Catherine. Be well, have joy in your life, and best wishes. Hugs

Comment by catherine — June 18, 2013 @ 20:56

9. what a shame why kill him????

Hello Allen. I really don’t know. I posted this because it came to me from an elderly lady I knew. I have been told by several people it is a fake. I have no information on it, and I don’t know if the gator is real, if it was a hazard or if someone doctored the photo. I do not like killing just to kill. However in the area I live in we have to sometimes remove or kill a gator that becomes a threat to the local humans. Hugs

Comment by allen — August 14, 2013 @ 12:25

10. that is some story, and I know it real, but ik it may have been hard but why didn’t they just put it in captivity I mean its the largest alligator ever an du shoot it I mean really btw im an animal person :D

Hello Lydia, I am also an animal person. The recent hunting season on gators is not something I support. Huge old gators killed for human sport. Not right. As to the story you are commenting on, there is a debate as it it is true, and I have no idea why humans kill for sport instead of a compound or zoo of some type. Hugs

Comment by Lydia Arrowood — August 28, 2013 @ 20:33

11. I first saw “Big George” (my father named him) in 2003 when I bought a house on Lake Thomas Fl. He looked to be about 12-13 feet long at that time. Nobody knows for sure how old they can get or how big. It is known that they grow about one and a half feet a year in the wild to 4 feet a year in captivity. This is because of diet. They are also cannibalistic. Big George pretty much cleaned out all the Muscovy Ducks, geese and other alligators on the lake before getting shot. I still never see any gators on the lake anymore. My point being In 2003 at 13 feet and growing a foot and a half a year, by 2010 he could have conceivably been 28 feet long. By 2005 and the years that followed I could easily see he was still growing. I was first told about him by a neighborhood kid and dismissed it as nonsense. After see him first hand I couldn’t believe my eyes. He looked like a dragon without wings. It has now been years since I’ve seen him or any other Alligator on the lake. based on the size and crunching the numbers on possible growth. It’s “Big George”. I believe it’s been about 4 years since my wife and I last saw him. So the time frame seems right. I stumbled across this article by accident this morning. Some people wouldn’t believe that a man could be 9 feet tall either but that has happened too. Lots of gators are over 14 feet long and are taken illegally because of the value of their hides and meat. They aren’t in the records books because they aren’t being reported. Most are pulled out of populated areas 6-8 footers) and shot or released into unpopulated poaching areas by Florida Fish and Game. Problems with story…KTBS is 3 NEWS SHREVEPORT, LA however what are they doing using their helicopters hunting gators in Shreveport LA with Fish and Game?

Hello Joe. Thank you very much for writing. I have taken a lot of flax for posting that story. I had no way to add anything to it, to prove it or disprove it. I am so glad to have someone who actually saw this wonderful force of nature. Hugs

Comment by Joe — June 6, 2014 @ 12:27