July 5, 2016

I said in a comment

Filed under: Ideas, My Life and Rants, Political, Questions — Scottie @ 19:42

I would love to thank each and everyone who has come to my blog and left a comment.  I admit I was feeling somewhat down and went to my bed early , not wanting to get up but Ron thought I should.  He was correct.   I would like to address a comment just left by a wonderful person.  Our founding fathers.

The men ( sadly they took little notice of the women who did have an effect but could not’ be named ) who made the rules we try to live by.    The were not just some picked off the street.  The were the wealthy self made men of their time, they were the activists, the ones rousing against the system they lived under.  They were the educated of their time as well.   See we mistake them for the politicians we have today.   That is a falsehood.  They would draw swords or single shot guns over the actions of our leaders today.

They fought with each other and argued their points in both books, and the papers of the day.   So does it surprise you at the idea that the document they wrote was not the end of their ideas, but the work of a committee.. a compromise.   For those who claim they never will compromise then they dishonor the ones who wrote the document they claim to worship.

Never did our founding fathers want the document the wrote to be cast in stone, never argued , never talked different of.   No they would have hated that.

They wrote a thing they thought they could live with.   It is our job to continue that task.   Why do we think we should end it all now for words on parchment in ink.  Is that something that stops a single bullet, helps heal a single ill… no it is our job, our calling, our need to keep the document   living for those who come after us.

They left it for us to improve as we understood our generation, as they did theirs, why do we hide from that task.   Hugs

1. Well said. $Amen$

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — July 5, 2016 @ 19:59

2. They also left a constitutional and legal way of changing it. Amendments voted on and passed by Congress, signed by the President and ratified by a 3/4 majority of the state’s. Unfortunately, leaders and politicians on both sides of the aisle have ignored that path because it is harder than just ignoring the laws and constitutional protections all of us are supposed to benefit from. If it’s wrong, I say change it, amend it. But do it the right way, the way provided for by “the Supreme law of the land ” the way it’s already been done 27 times in our history. The founders included a system of updating the constitution when need and public opinion decide. Let’s do it right is all I’m saying

Comment by KIA — July 5, 2016 @ 21:22

• Yes, yes I agree !! Well said. We need people like you to write papers, editorials, go on the TV shows and PUSH what was meant to happen. They left the way to change it, they did not want it never changed, they expected it to be changed. I never understood why some people won’t consider even thinking about changing it. Some act like it was handed down on stone tablets and recopied by the founding fathers. And I get upset there is so little mention of the Native Indian tribes who helped give the ideas for our system of government, who pushed for more freedom for all people, not just the white males. freedom of movement and so many other grand Ideas. Thank you. You have the idea! Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 6, 2016 @ 11:25

3. If I understand you right, you feel as though our earliest documents may not exactly be for today. I absolutely agree. Its like anything else in life. We all need to occasionally take inventory of our homes, families, partnerships and even our own belongings and personal ideas. What can we give away or recycle? What is that weird paper or disgusting piece of garbage that should have been thrown away already? What do we keep? How should we expand or grow? It’s part of evolving. We know that the US Constitution was written with pretty much the richest of white males in mind. Obviously, because that’s who pieced it together. Over time we’ve found out about founding fathers having one to two (or is it three?) hundred slaves each. Them we have Andrew Jackson and the Trail of Tears. Japanese internment camps, women’s suffrage movement, civil rights movement and Hawai’i stolen from its citizens are just a few of the monstrosities in our not so distant history. I think evaluation and examination of the whole picture is key. I don’t think I’d want to be a politician though because I’ve seen how even the better ones are powerless when others willingly choose to shoot down every idea they have. I know downer Debbie here. Sorry about that. The reality is this….cleaning up a house gets worse before it gets better. Like others, I don’t if I’m patient enough to see it through.

Comment by Charity — July 5, 2016 @ 22:17

• Charity, Oh Sweet Charity! You said it so well. And no worries about being downers. Heck at least right now they are not shooting at each other which did happen if I remember right. The job of the sergeant at arms was of the day to take the guns from those who did too seriously play. You said it perfectly. I get upset when people talk on about the constitution like it is some royal decree from the gods! Get real, men made it, they did it was well as hey could, they compromised ( look that word up republicans ) and they left ways for it to be changed and it was a lot, yes it was changed a lot at first, then someone came up with the idea the best was done, leave it alone, don’t bother to even look too hard at it. It is holy! Rubbish. The same people who wrote it would be in congress screaming for it to be changed, and they would write to all the papers and rail against it. We have to have a system of government that acknowledges our time. What we are. We had no real standing army, they went home between wars. We had no assault weapons, single shot muskets. As you said, no slaves, civil rights, heck we have things to deal with now!!! Look at space, should we put weapons up there, who owns it, is the moon free game, should we mine it, who gets what parts? Oh thank you Charity, you got what I was trying to say the first time. Thank you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 6, 2016 @ 11:20

4. That’s right! It annoys me that people today speak about the constitution as if it came straight from the gods, omnipotent and omniscient and unchangeable. Yet, the fact that we have amendments seem to have eluded their minds. (Although there are those too who believe that the document should have been left in its original state, sans amendments). No constitution was ever meant to be left in its original state but to grow and change with the times, but today there are those Americans who believe that our forefathers had all the knowledge we would ever need for the rest of our lives. Of course, because it suits them that way.

Comment by belle💕beckford — July 7, 2016 @ 01:16