August 9, 2016

Stephen Hawking Angers Trump Supporters with Baffling Array of Long Words – The New Yorker

Filed under: News, Political, Questions, Reason — Scottie @ 18:23

How sad!  How sad for our country.  My son pointed this out to me.  One of the smartest men in the world, and in a wheelchair, mocked by a presidential candidate because he uses “big words”.   The presidential candidate then had his people tweet that the smart man should use English, not realizing it was English.   It seems we are glorifying stupid, sanctifying dumbness here.   Instead of being an example to the rest of the world of progress and how to advance, we are instead showing we are a clown car of incompetence.  I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but this embarases me.    Please read and enjoy our humiliation over having Donald Trump as a presidential candidate.  Hugs

The presumptive Republican nominee’s backers say the physicist’s use of the terms “demagogue” and “lowest common denominator” was designed to confuse them.

Source: Stephen Hawking Angers Trump Supporters with Baffling Array of Long Words – The New Yorker

Excerpt below.

LONDON (The Borowitz Report)—The theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking angered supporters of Donald J. Trump on Monday by responding to a question about the billionaire with a baffling array of long words.

Speaking to a television interviewer in London, Hawking called Trump “a demagogue who seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator,” a statement that many Trump supporters believed was intentionally designed to confuse them.

Moments after Hawking made the remark, Google reported a sharp increase in searches for the terms “demagogue,” “denominator,” and “Stephen Hawking.”

“For a so-called genius, this was an epic fail,” Trump’s campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, said. “If Professor Hawking wants to do some damage, maybe he should try talking in English next time.”

1. This man must not become President. Now he’s suggesting second amendment rights advocates may have to “take care” of Clinton if she wins.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — August 9, 2016 @ 18:28

• Yes, everything you say is true. This stopped being funny a long time ago. I feel like I am watching a death of my country in slow motion. Other than keeping blogging about it, I am simply out ideas. No matter what is posted, what is said, he keeps getting more and more outrageous and he gets away with it. One really influential party in our country backs him, and nothing can shake that it seems. It seems that a part of our country has become what we all were taught to despise. I don’t blame so much the “low man on the street” who is a bigot or uneducated, but I do strongly blame the republican party which keeps supporting him, defending him, promoting him in the face of all the things he has said and done. As far as I am concerned I think that every republican who holds an elected office who doesn’t now speak out as loudly and as strongly as they can against Donald Trump is guilty of violating their oath of office. They swear that office to the country, not to party. They are violating the oath and the office. So if the party won’t sanction him, I am not sure what more can be done. Thanks, if you have an idea I am listening. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 9, 2016 @ 19:13

• I don’t even like Clinton. However, Trump’s strategy is horrific. What is this “The Purge”? Art truly is impersonating reality.

Comment by Charity — August 9, 2016 @ 19:26

• Hello Charity. I served in the US Military for two tours. Each time I swore an oath to the constitution. Never to a president, never to congress. Now I am stunned and at a loss. Before I could say I was against a party’s position, or for something a party had said they stood for. Now I am left stunned. A member of a party who is running for president has crossed all lines, he has suggested assassination of his opponent. This person lies like it is an honor, has no basic grounding in reality, knows nothing of policy, domestic or foreign and has gotten the most deluded of the country to rally around him. I am worried for my country! I am worried because what use to be the fringe is now the normal and is the accepted part of our daily lives. Think of it. Every day we go about our lives thinking some things are normal… but if the fringe takes over… all that changes. How do we conduct our lives then. It is so scary. I care about you. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 9, 2016 @ 19:36

• The “I dislike Hillary and she’s as bad as Trump” horseshit has gotten tiresome, and it is ludicrous. There is no comparison here. Clinton is a human being, a politician, perhaps, but a human being trying to run a campaign. Trump is megalomaniacal hate-monger who has absolute no qualifications to be President. None. He’s not a politician, he’s a self-loving asshole who poses a major threat to the globe. This man simply must not get the codes to our nuclear arsenal. He’ll fucking use them.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — August 9, 2016 @ 19:51

• Well said, and yes he would. Ron and I talked about that today. Someone insults him, gives affront to his self worth… and he would use the entire strength of the country to ruin them. Not only that , he would destroy the treaties of the country and the history to reward his friends and to hurt his enemies. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 9, 2016 @ 19:54

• Not liking Clinton is one thing. Implying second amendment supporters kill her is utterly and completely horrific. Trump is not running a political campaign, he’s running a vile, hate-filled despicable freak show. He’s a threat to decency everywhere.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — August 9, 2016 @ 19:46