August 27, 2016

A question ?

Filed under: History, Ideas, My Life and Rants, Questions — Scottie @ 05:57

I have for years, well since I had this blog, way back to half way through 2007 if I remember right, signed everything I wrote on my blog or in comments on other’s blogs with “hugs”.

I started that because I saw another blog writer do it and his reasoning was he liked to hug.  I thought about it and I respected it.

See I had never been hugged until I was in my mid twenty’s.   I had never been hugged by my “mother” nor by my “father”.  I was so afraid of him if he tried to hug me I think I would have wet my self and died.  Not even the grandparents, who tried their best to protect me and help me, ever hugged me.

I had a sergeant who hugged me in the Army but he wanted me for his own reasons.   I don’t fault him, I got many things out of the relationship, but free hugs were not one of them.  His hugs came with a price.

The first hugs I got with no strings attached were from Ron.  My now husband.  He hugged me the first time we met and asked me to wait for him to get off work.  I did !

Over the years many have commented on my sign off of “hugs”.  Some made fun of it.  Most ignored it.  Some wrote me and told me they disliked it.  Some said they disliked it immensely and did not want me to use it on their blogs.  I did try to remember who disliked it and tried not to use it with them, but sadly I would soon forget and use it again for everyone.

I personally don’t understand why some people object to my offering virtual hugs, but some do.  Those that do seem very insulted.  I have gotten emails that were really violent in content.  I have to admit my thinking is by hugging everyone I am offering a warmth of acceptance.

So now that I am more interacting on many other peoples blogs, and wanting to take their feelings into account, being a person who doesn’t like to cause others upset when I don’t need to, I have the following question:

Do I continue to use the sign off hugs as that is what people now know I do, or do I switch to simply signing everything with Scottie?  Scottie is my name and that won’t upset anyone or be misunderstood.  I am OK with that, I just wanted people to know I am using it with the implied hugs.

I am leaning toward using my name, Scottie , instead of hugs as that won’t upset anyone.  I guess those that know me will know that when they see my name I am also offering virtual internet hugs.  Maybe there are some people out there who needed them as much as I did.

With much love, much respect, as much understanding as I can give this is Scottie giving everyone the biggest hug I can.   Be well and be happy.   Scottie

1. Hi Scottie;
    I always liked your sign off of “hugs” and adopted it for my own as well….at least in some cases. It says a great deal in one simple word: I care, may disagree but not personal, we are all in this together, etc.. And, frankly, it is who you are: a caring person who would never want to hurt someone, even if you have to correct them a bit, and want the world to come together.
    So, for me, I will use “hugs” where I think appropriate, since my big brother led me to such a wonderful idea, and where not I simply sign off as randy. For you, I hope you will always use “hugs” with me.

HUGS,
    🙂 randy

Comment by randy — August 27, 2016 @ 07:34

• Oh Randy. It is one of my greatest joys in this life to have a brother like you. You are one of the kindest and nicest people I have ever met. I will always be very happy to hugs you. Many hugs my younger brother. You are grand. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 14:53

2. Not only am I not offended by your “Hugs” signature, I consider it a warm expression of personal style. Anyone who has a problem with it should see a psychiatrist and get their head examined.

And, I know all about hugs which come with a price. Recently, I was given such by a lady whose husband had left her. True to my nature, I fell for her charms. My mistake, now I’m paying the price.

Comment by Robert A. Vella — August 27, 2016 @ 08:54

• I am sorry to hear that. You are a very nice and helpful person. I dislike your being nice to come with a personal cost to you. I am going to keep using it. It is something I like, and it makes me feel good. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 14:50

3. Scottie, you know that’s one of the first things I noticed about you – your ‘hug’ when you signed off. I knew right away you were/are a warm, wonderful human being. Keep them!
    xx

Comment by carmen — August 27, 2016 @ 10:43

• Thank you Carmen. I feel the warmth of hugs from this online community. You all have been really wonderful to me. You also are wonderful. Many hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 14:39

4. You know, Scottie, it’s okay for you to do your own thing. If you want to, you could sign all your stuff, “And then a tiger jumps out!” Or just remind people of how nice you are, and keep using hugs. Anyone who doesn’t like it, just use your name. But really, you’re one of the nicest people I know, Scottie.

Comment by Sirius Bizinus — August 27, 2016 @ 11:03

• Thank you S.B. That makes me feel great. I really enjoy this online community. I feel I am growing as a person in ways I never did before. You have been a great influence on me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 14:37

• That great influence goes both ways, Scottie!

Comment by carmen — August 27, 2016 @ 14:43

• 🙂 cool ! I hope I can be as nice to others as you have been toward me. I feel I have grown and and developed as a person from knowing you. I care. I will never stop caring. I have learned so much from you, from all the online community. It makes me feel grand belonging to this group. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 15:00

5. Don’t change a thing. You’re the only person I know who does this, and it is endearing. That simple word speaks volumes about you as a person. That anyone would complain speaks volumes about them!

Comment by heretherebespiders — August 27, 2016 @ 13:20

• That is grand. I will keep using hugs. I think they are great. Be well and happy. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 14:32

• I want to mention I have been very lucky to have met you. I think you are an exciting and dynamic person. Be well, Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 14:41

6. For those who complain when you write “hugs” at the end of your posts and comments, you can always write “Bugger off, ya’ cranky bastard, ya’.” Keep on doin’ what yer doin’, Scottie. 🙂

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — August 27, 2016 @ 14:44

• Thank you Jeff. You have been a good online friend and you always give me great advice. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 27, 2016 @ 14:56

7. Wow, Scottie;
    there seems to be an agreement! Although, I do sort of like “and then a tiger jumps out” 😉

HUGS;
    randy

Comment by randy — August 28, 2016 @ 08:14

• Hello Randy. I was impressed and very happy to get the responses I did. People said a lot of very nice things about me. I was overjoyed that people saw me that way, as it is hard for people to see themselves as others see them. I never think of myself in such nice terms. So yes it was wonderful. There was the one about the tiger and the one from Jeff about ” bugger off” which is something I don’t think I would say even though I might have thought it a few times. Hugs Brother. It was grand to talk with you this morning.

Comment by Scottie — August 28, 2016 @ 10:02