October 17, 2016

Shots

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 14:17

Well had my monthly shots this morning.  Already feeling better.   I had 14 again.  My back muscles were in such spasm that the needle bends when they try to give me the shots.  Some times they have to switch the needle on the syringe. I let her do the first 7 and then had to pause as I was in tears.  She rubbed my back to try to work the medication into the muscles on the ones she already did and to try to loosen the muscles of where she was going to inject next.  I was struggling when she got done.   She even used a topical numbing spray.  The spray is ice cold and she had to keep applying it.   As a reward Ron took me out for lunch.  Said I could even have a hot fudge sundae which I love but can’t normally have.   The shots mess up my blood sugar anyway.   However I did not have it as after filling my self with so much other stuff I forgot it until we were on our way out.   😦

But poor Ron had worked a 12 hour shift at the hospital, came home and got me and we went right to the doctors office.  We did not get home until noon.  He was very tired.  But he never complained and like I said he was the one who suggested going out for lunch.   He can’t watch them give me the shots.   So now to start my day of reading blogs.   Be well, be happy, enjoy the things you can and treasure the people in your life.   Hugs

1. Glad they help, but couldn’t they do it sooner so you aren’t all locked up?

Comment by heretherebespiders — October 17, 2016 @ 14:55

• I have to have them every month. Not wise not to do it sooner. I tried to go to every 2 months and it did not work, so then went to 6 weeks, still did not work. spacing them out more than a month cause me too much pain. Again it is also an insurance issue. Every visit cost me a co-pay of 60 dollars plus. The insurance company doesn’t want to pay the full price of the shots so every month I have to pay more. IF I was to try to get them sooner, even if it was medically sound, the insurance company wouldn’t go for it. I hate the insurance companies. At least I am going to get the x-rays I need, still have to wait till January for the MRI. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 17, 2016 @ 15:14

2. Fourteen. That’s one hell of an experience every month Scottie, but I know that such things must be done, and can be endured if they will ease the pain for a while. You’re always such a positive guy despite your pain, and that’s a good way to be. I feel for Ron, sometimes those watching their loved ones in pain, unable to help that much have it worse than the patients themselves I find. Keep smiling.

– esme waving from upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — October 17, 2016 @ 18:03

• I have often said that no matter how much pain I am in that it doesn’t give me the right to take it out on others. It doesn’t give me a pass to be a jerk. IN truth having a sense of humor and treating people well helps my pain levels and helps me to stay in the game of live. Thanks. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 17, 2016 @ 18:14

• The maximum shots I received in one go was 24. I was a pile of goo at the end. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 17, 2016 @ 18:15

• I know something of your pain, and yes, humour and kindness keeps one stronger and happier than bitterness and anger every time.

– esme smiling upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — October 17, 2016 @ 18:23

• You are wise. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 17, 2016 @ 18:26

• I’m also an owl . . . but don’t tell anyone. *grins*

– esme winking upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — October 17, 2016 @ 18:33

• lips are sealed…. but you should know I have owls all over the bedroom. Small little figures. Someone told me they were good luck. I don’t know but they looked cute. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 17, 2016 @ 18:37

3. Son of a… I have a disability due to back pain. I have had spasms out of the blue, much like getting struck by lightning. It feels like something snaps in the back, the pain is overwhelming, I go down immediately, literally to the floor. No way to move to find comfort. It is very painful existing, then when you move it is excrutiating. I have been laid up anywhere from a few hours to 6 weeks recovering from the spasms I get. Then there is the constant daily pain, my ever present buddy. Always there, only a matter of degree from day to day.

The spasms were much worse back when I was working. Now that I’m retired from working (officially, I mean I still do a lot around here) the spasms I get are much more low key. Thank goodness. They were the deciding factor me though. That I was done. I could not continue to work and had to seek disability.

So, with all of that experience to draw upon, I can’t imagine how you get through this scenario on a monthly basis. Damn man!

I too try to not let my pain be a reason to lash out, but it is difficult sometimes. Many a day the family thinks I am angry at something and nope, just in pain…sorry 🙂

Just know you are not alone.

Comment by shelldigger — October 19, 2016 @ 06:46

• Thank you. It is hard as you say. However having people that care about you helps. I wish the best for you. I had disability, and was not to go back to work. I wanted to so bad I fought for it and they took my disability way and I worked at the hospital for 4 years. But it nearly killed me. My last year I was out on sick leave and in the hospital as a Patient almost more than I was at work. My doctors told me I had to quit or die. I have been fighting to get my disability back for 2 years and they say it may take up to five years before I get my hearing. With my medical bills it does make it hard and money tight. But I am alive some thing I enjoy. 🙂 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 19, 2016 @ 11:36

• 3 words. Get A Lawyer. (If you don’t have one already.)

I consulted a lawyer before I filed the first time. he said go ahead and file, you will be denied. When you get denied come back and see me. I did as he said. It took 2 years after that to get my hearing. Went through with no issues! But I had quite a few years of medical records to show and a Dr’s recommendation. This particular Dr. told me he doesn’t do this, then wrote me the note.

If you don’t already know, keep all medical records! Even if you have a lawyer go back and dig up/ reaquire all the records you can from your past.(The lawyer may or may not do such a great job on this) In some cases it is easy, other cases you have to pay for them. But they are worth their weight in gold.

Keeping the healthy positive attitude is also worth its weight in gold 🙂

I knew when I was done, I was done. There was no way I could continue to work, work was doing its best to put me down. It was difficult to make the choice, but then again I had no choice. Strange as that sounds…

I still from time to time accidently have a good day or two and feel guilty about not having a job. Then reality sets in, my short respite from the pain is gone and things are back to the usual.

Here’s to having a good day!

Comment by shelldigger — October 19, 2016 @ 14:28

• You are so correct, we are conditioned to not accept our own body needs. It was the way I thought others looked at me, felt about my being disabled that drove me back to work against my own doctors best advice. I do have a lawyer. However the state of Florida has made it so miserable to get disability now that it takes years. The state government simply has cut all services to disability they can and there is not enough hearing officers. My first time it only took one year. Now they say it takes five years here in Florida. Lucky for me I am well cared for by my husband and I have insurance through him. Thanks for you suggestions, they are really good one. Be well . Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 19, 2016 @ 16:10