October 25, 2016

Candles, shelves, love, and happiness.

Filed under: Dealing With Abuse, Family, Health, Ideas, Love, Magic, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 10:43

Hello everyone.  A grand lady and wonderful friend gave me some great advice yesterday.   I was getting upset and Here There be spiders said I should write an uplifting post.   It was the perfect advice.

So when I lost the ability to work I was in a very depressed state and headed for a break down.   My body was failing badly, and I was in a lot of pain.   I couldn’t handle the memories of my childhood.   I was battered by feelings of the past I simply couldn’t handle.  I was to the point where I did not even want to get out of bed, I was not eating, I was not functioning.  Again the doctors were telling Ron that if things did not improve physically I would have to go into the hospital.

Ron wanted to give me something I could do as I wanted.   Something fun yet easy enough not to tax me in both body and mind.   He was looking for something to pull me out of the sink hole I was in.   He came up with the idea of me making candles.   We like candles, we enjoy them, and both Ron and I think they help focus the mind.   We feel they can set a mood, help you meditate or other tasks.   Our Wicca friends were telling us that “Candle Magic” was very powerful and positive.

So Ron set up a candle making station in our bedroom.   Everything I was doing at that time was in our bedroom.  I simply did not want to leave it.  My desk and computers were there.    I was even eating in the bedroom when I would eat.   Ron got the cabinet with the drawer and storage in it set up.   He got me a hot plate.  He ran electrical lines and bought me some molds and wax.  He even cut the ten pound block of wax into smaller pieces for me.  I started making candles.

I have a great friend in the Carolina’s who sent me molds and gave me ideas.   That was so grand, as I needed molds and I had never made candles before.   So I made candles.  I made lots of candles.  I made Jar candles, I made big  14 – 16 inch candles and I made little one inch ones.  I rigged up my own molds out of ones designed to make soap.   I just kept making candles.    It was one of the things helping me, lifting me out of the state I was in.   So Ron kept me making candles.   We used some, gave a bunch away to everyone.  Took 60 different kinds in to my pain doctors office and gave them to the staff.   We filled boxes and every spare shelf space we had with them.   I never realized how many candles I had made.   I am on my third hot plate.

When Ron and James build my office Ron designed it to have room for all my candle making stuff.  This weekend Ron put shelves up for my candles and stuff.   I spent the last three days putting stuff up on the shelves.  I emptied boxes of candles.  I still have more candles in storage to put up on the shelves, including some of the nicest jar candles I made.   So for my uplifting post I want to share with you all the pictures I took this morning of my stuff so far.   Now the pots wont stay on the shelves but I just shoved a bunch of stuff in the cabinet when we moved everything, and have yet to clean it out.  So with great pleasure I present to you the pictures.   I thank everyone for sharing their lives with me, and I am grateful to be able to share some of my life with you.  Many happy hugs.

Click on the pictures to make them full size.   Hugs

1. That is a LOT of candles! I love the really tall green one, and the purple one next to it, best. My favourite colours! I save all the end bits of ones we bought and melt them down and make new ones out of the mess – but they never burn evenly. I can’t get a straight wick!

Comment by heretherebespiders — October 25, 2016 @ 15:24

• I love them also. One of a bunch of the first ones I did. I doubled the wicks on them as they are so large. Here is how to get a straight wick tip I use. IF you are making it in a jar, take a dab of hot glue to hold it to the bottom of the jar, then lay something over the top of the jar ( like a cut piece of a coat hanger ) tie the wick to that. That gives you a taunt wick that you can adjust as needed. IF you are using a mold, I do almost the same. I use a pad of plumbers putty on the bottom of the mold to hold the wick then do the bar on the top and tie the wick to it. Or one way I do it for molds that can’t have a wick attached and are to be reused, I pour the candle. Then I have a drill bit Ron got me that is just a bit bigger than my wick. Using some straight long metal pins and parts of metal coat hangers I cut and shaped I feed the wick through the candle. You can pour more wax in the top to seal it, and if you want put a dab of either wax or hot glue on the bottom. I use a hand drill, the old fashion crank type, but if I am not feeling up to it , Ron will take them to his shop and drill them out with the drill press for me. We told a green on not quite as tall as those two and Ron etched symbols of good luck into it and then filled them in with gold paint. We gave it to my great friend and new brother Randy. Thanks . Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2016 @ 16:55

2. Amazing. I can imagine how theraputic that is as pastimes go. It’s creative and also practical. I see many appear to be wrapped in what we call ‘cling-film’ I think over there you say something else but can’t recall what. Why do you need to wrap them like that for storage? Is it to stop them getting chipped, or from getting dusty perhaps?

– esme lighting candles upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — October 25, 2016 @ 15:38

• Hello Esme, I will enjoy the light of your candles upon the Cloud. Yes doing the candles did help me. Ron wrapped them because I make them with scented oils. I like to mix different oils. Some times I would get scented small blocks. Ron knew I was making far more than we could use in a reasonable time and he did not want them to lose the nice aromas. So he wrapped them. The boxes and the rooms we kept them in all have grand smells. Well perfumed. I made some with thick wicks until I learned they burn better with a thin wick. Be well and happy, Candle lit hugs.

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2016 @ 16:43

• Ah, I use essential oils myself and find certain ones to be incredibly beneficial for pain and gut issues when combined with a hot bath. And the smells alone can lift one. I’ve got a small oil burner but prefer the candles with them in in winter.

– Esme returning the hugs upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — October 25, 2016 @ 16:50

• I love getting a massage with scented oils. I never thought to try it in a bath. Thanks for the idea. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2016 @ 16:57

• Make sure you look up the properties online first and how many drops to use as some make sensitive skin itchy if too much is used. I’d completely forgotten to mention my massages! I have one a week and I’d go without essentials to have it as it’s a wonder for my shoulders back and legs. I always have classic FM on the radio at the same time. It’s like that last days of Rome! *laughs*. I’m lucky as a close friend is a trained masseuse, and comes to the Cloud rather than me having to go to her premises. For the bath I’d say start with four to six drops of lavender and see if that helps your muscles. One of my favourite is Frankincense, however it’s terribly expensive so I only use it very rarely. Ginger and peppermint are very good for tummy upsets.

– esme waving and floating away upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — October 25, 2016 @ 17:06

• Thanks. You are doing wonders for me today! I will give your suggestions a try. Be well. Enjoy your float. Warm scented hugs.

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2016 @ 17:23

3. So instead of worrying about doing nothing, you can now burn the candle at both ends, right?
    😉

Comment by Arkenaten — October 26, 2016 @ 04:32

• 🙂 I love it! You sir have a sharp wit. Grand. And I need to do that to catch up. My email is way behind as is my browsing. That will teach me to take a few days off to play Halo. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 26, 2016 @ 14:58

4. Juniper is another good essential oil for stress. Try lavender on pillows too for sleeps/stress.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — October 27, 2016 @ 21:13

• Wonderful ideas. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 27, 2016 @ 21:14

• Do you have a burner? You might want to consider making unperfumed candles and using those,with a few drops of oil of preference, with water. I use different ones, depending on requirements. Peppermint, pine, sage, eucalyptus for breathing/snotty noses, lavender, juniper for stress/aches/relaxing. And others just because they smell nice.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — October 28, 2016 @ 02:43

• No I don’t have an oil burner. I do have two candle jar heaters so you can have the scent without burning the candle. I will look into it. You know far more about the oils than I , I will have to do a lot more learning to understand their uses. Thank you for the suggestions. Warm scented hugs.

Comment by Scottie — October 28, 2016 @ 12:20

• I have a fabulous book about oils. Feel free to ask 🙂

Comment by roughseasinthemed — October 28, 2016 @ 12:52

• OK, what is the name and I will see if I can get it on Ibook. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 28, 2016 @ 14:08

• Encyclopedia of Healng Plants, Chrissie Wildwood. Includes herbalism and Bach’s remedies as well as essential oils. Also, Valerie Worwood’s book looks good too, but I don’t have that.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — October 29, 2016 @ 01:14

• I will check with ROn , I should be able to buy it next payday. Sounds great. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 29, 2016 @ 11:47

5. This is soooo cool! They are all so beautiful!

Comment by bethanyk — January 14, 2017 @ 15:21

6. Oh Scottie, these are wonderful, and I love all the colours. It cheers /me/ up just looking at them. Have you considered selling them at the odd craft market? I assume you have them over there too? Or Etsy? -hugs-

Comment by acflory — January 15, 2017 @ 02:02

• I have thought about it, but it maybe too much for me right now to handle. I give them away to people. Everyone around here know if you want candles, come see Scottie 🙂 I make the candles mostly because it makes me feel good. I am glad you like them, that makes me happy. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 15, 2017 @ 11:45

7. Wow so many candles,they look amazing✨

Comment by CiaraTone — January 17, 2017 @ 14:10

• Thank you. They were fun to make. I have a lot of friends who I give them to and they seem to love them also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 17, 2017 @ 14:12

8. Reblogged this on Scotties Toy Box and commented:

I recently had a few questions on candles. I wrote this to show not only my candles but how much Ron cares for me and how hard he works to keep me well. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 3, 2017 @ 23:50

9. You have a wonderful partner, Scottie. Ron sounds like a very good person who really loves you. You candles are beautiful and very creative.

Comment by robbiesinspiration — May 3, 2017 @ 23:58

• Thank you. Ron really is grand. He never gets upset or angry. He is my world. This year is our 27th year together. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 4, 2017 @ 00:08

• That is wonderful, Scottie. I look forward to reading about your anniversary celebrations. I would send a cake but they don’t travel well.

Comment by robbiesinspiration — May 4, 2017 @ 00:18

10. Wow~that IS taking it seriously, boom boom! Our favourite candles are those honeycomb-looking beeswax ones, look good and smell good. (And I used to melt ’em down to make polish, until I bought a whole lot of wax online—not enough hours left in any day to learn the art of candles, sadly.
    Well done, you~!

Comment by Argus — May 4, 2017 @ 02:16

11. You are a machine! 🙂 Great feeling to look over all that creativity, eh?

Comment by carmen — May 4, 2017 @ 06:38

• 🙂 They were made in love, they are used with joy. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 4, 2017 @ 09:39

12. Wow! That is a lot of wax. I wish you lived in RI because I would enlist you to be part of our crafters’ group. We sell our wares from an old historical home called Fayerweather House. You would be a big hit!

Comment by Claremary P. Sweeney — May 4, 2017 @ 17:26

• I would like that. Here I just mainly give them away. I have one going most days. Ron uses some sometimes. I have stopped making them for awhile, until I get the old ones used up. What kind of crafts do you enjoy doing? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 4, 2017 @ 17:28

• Hi, Scottie – Well, I’m not a real crafter. Our store opens up this Saturday and it is my job to set out all of the crafts for display in the three rooms of Fayerweather House. It is filled with tie-dyed silks, knit sweaters, hats and gloves, hand-sewn baby clothes, stuffed bunnies and bears, wooden toys, clocks, cutting boards, cribbage boards, Christmas ornaments,pottery, hand-painted glassware, decorated tiles, photography, hand crafted jewelry made from sea glass and stones, hooked rugs andriftwood sculptures, candles, quilts, soaps, bath bombs, jams, jellies and relishes, table runners and napkins, towels and place mats… I’ve been decorating for four straight days!!! My contributions are books I’ve authored and cards with the photo illustrations used in those books.
        At some point I’ll take some photos and do a post about the crafts and the crafters in the Guild. I think some bloggers might be interested in that. 💐 Clare

Comment by Claremary P. Sweeney — May 4, 2017 @ 19:07

• Hello Clare. You are grand. You give of your time and of your art. It sounds wonderful. I look forward to the post. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 4, 2017 @ 19:10

• Thanks, Scottie and I’m really happy you stopped by so I could meet you. It’s made my day brighter (like those lovely candles you create). 🌹 Clare

Comment by Claremary P. Sweeney — May 4, 2017 @ 19:12

• Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 4, 2017 @ 20:17

• “I think some bloggers might be interested in that.” – That would be me, Clare! I’d love to see that craft fair! 🙂

Comment by carmen — May 4, 2017 @ 19:41

• I agree Carmen, I would love to see it also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 4, 2017 @ 20:18

• Hi, Carmen. If you come to Kingston, RI, you can visit us any time. We are a Guild of crafters housed in an historic building called Fayerweather House. We’re open from 10AM-4PM from Tuesday to Saturday from May 6 to December 24. During November and December, we’re open until 6PM and also on Sundays.
        I’ve written a murder mystery set in Kingston that will be coming out in late June and Fayerweather House is one of the settings. It’s called Last Train to Kingston. Make sure you tell me before you come so I can be there to meet you!

Comment by Claremary P. Sweeney — May 4, 2017 @ 23:18

13. I’d love to visit but it’s over 1000 km away from where I live. 🙂 I’ve been there before, though and fell in love with the magnolia trees. They were in blossom when we were there and I never forgot about them. We also got to go to Christie’s in Newport – it was a lovely restaurant!

Comment by carmen — May 5, 2017 @ 07:17