November 8, 2016

Tears, lots of them, but good ones.

Filed under: Ideas, Love, Magic, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 15:07

Please be reassured, this post has no hardships in it, only joys.  I love stories.  I love to immerse myself in them.  The worlds in them become real to me.

Last night I went to bed after about 20 minutes of hard crying, eyes red and hankies full.   But this was not from memories of the past, nor of injustices.  No this was from days of listening to an audio version of a book series I really like.

I listen to them on Youtube.   I wish I could afford to buy the audio versions.  I can not.  Ron and I just talked and I am going to buy Aron Ra’s new book in Ibook format rather than audio book because the Ibook is 10 dollars and the audio one is 21 dollars.   I watch every video of Aron I can, but I have to live within my means.

So why the tears you ask.  The book was Moreta: DragonLady of Pern.   I have loved the pern books since I was a child using them as an escape from my horrible world and wishing for a dragon to come take me away.

I loved the stories, I became a character in each book.  I have developed my own versions of them extended to my wishes in stories to occupy my mind as I try to sleep.  I create situations and characters and build on the world the author created as a way to take me to sleep in a good way.   If you have never read or heard the world of Pern I suggest you start with the first four novels.  Dragonflight, dragonquest, the white dragon, the weyrs of Pern. There were two others I loved written in between these called dragon singer and dragon drums.     I think maybe my love of dragons came from this time of my life.

The books were a great escape and for a while I was not allowed to have books in the house, not even school books.   But local librarians would let me stay in the town library until closing and even let me take a book home without any record.   So many grand book, so many great worlds to explore.

Last night I finished the audiobook just before bed.   The ending is both heroic and very sad.  In case you wish to read them I won’t say it here.  But I sat here at my desk blubbering like a deranged person while the cats meowed at me wondering what was wrong.  I was happy but so into the story the pain of it was a pain I felt.   I know, silly old man with too much imagination and too little sense some will say.   However if you ever had to sneak a book home and read it late at night under covers with a flashlight maybe you can understand the wonders of worlds others can create and you can journey to.  It admire the talent, I enjoy the stories, I love the worlds.

I use to have thousands of books.   When I got old enough to have my own place and my own life I made a room in my house into a library.  It was lined with shelves and had two comfortable chairs.  I had accounts at several book stores.   I read anything that seemed interesting, trash and good alike.    Ron was stunned when he moved in, he had never seen such a thing.  I knew every book and could tell you the story each one held.   We lost them after moving from our first home together.   We never got books back until we got Ipads and Iphones and started rebuilding our library.   We have quite a diverse collection now.  Not the amount I had then, but still enough to keep me happy.   I am reading a book Ark suggested to me.  The wilt alternative by Tom Sharpe.  I give myself 40 minutes to an hour to read every morning before I get out of bed.   I figure that is something I owe myself and Ron doesn’t mind.  The election news has cut into my reading time, but it will soon be back to the books full time.

Well if you got this far thank you for reading.   I hope stories mean as much to you as they do me.  I hope you can get as much out of them.  They still take me to places of great wonder and while I read I am in there with them.   Be well, be happy, be safe.  Hugs

1. I’ve loved the Pern books forever as well. Glad to find a fellow traveller!

Comment by acflory — November 8, 2016 @ 15:11

• Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 8, 2016 @ 15:14

• She made an incredible , living world to move around in, I really admire her. I have read that her son took over the books, but sadly I am just now getting back to them. I hope they are still as good. I will work my way through them. What were your favorites, I will try them first. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 8, 2016 @ 15:19

• I haven’t read any of the ones written by her son either. I think I was burned by the prequels written by Frank Herbert’s son. They were well written but lacked the ‘magic’, if that makes sense. Or perhaps I judged it too harshly because I knew the real Herbert was gone. 😦
        All the Pern books are great, although my favourites are probably the earlier ones. You might want to try ‘The Ship Who Sang’ as well. Not part of the Pern world, and more sci-fi than fantasy, but still very good.

Comment by acflory — November 8, 2016 @ 15:26

• Oh I loved them! I only found three of them. The one of the city manager with Jack was heart wrenchingly told. I look forward to any other books you think of along that line. Did she write more than the three “ship who sang” books? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 8, 2016 @ 15:29

2. Well, Scottie – another thing we have in common. I was/am a voracious reader. I can’t remember ever NOT having a book in my hands. I was one of those kids who read by flashlight, under the bedcovers. Like you, I ‘became’ the characters in my books and most had successful, assertive female characters who were clever, ambitious, and tenacious. My kids will tell you that when I was reading, nothing short of a bomb going off would interrupt my train of thought. They would have to take the book out of my hands to make contact. . I am very good at shutting outside interference off in my concentration. I used to have far more books on my shelves but when the kids went off, so did my books! I see them on their bookshelves when I visit and I am happy to share with them.
    I have found, however, that blog reading has replaced my novel reading in the last few years. Although I am still usually reading two or more books at one time, I find that I can’t just pick up at the line I left the last time I was reading . . . too many days/weeks have gone by because I’m reading too many fascinating blog stories! I like the added dimension of getting to know real people, too. I no longer have to imagine the personality; I can form my own conclusion from various person’s comments. PLUS, there’s a chance (slim, in some cases, I admit) that I might actually get to meet them face-to-face someday! How lovely is that possibility? 🙂

Comment by Carmen — November 8, 2016 @ 15:19

• OH wonderful and grand!!! I love that you passed on your books to your children who will pass that love on to theirs. I find news is my biggest deterrent to reading. Rather than read a story I am into I turn to the news to see what is new in politics. That will fade after today, I hope. Books held so much promise, such hope, so many ways the mind could go…. I hope we never lose them. I wish I could buy all I want, but I can have enough to keep me reading and to keep my mind busy. I am so glad to hear I was not the only one sneak reading! Yet it was fun in itself. Hiding a secret , reading forbidden items, getting so lost in the story you feel asleep without putting the flashlight out. It was special in its own way. Be well, be happy. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 8, 2016 @ 15:25

• As for blogs, I am learning so much from the new blogs I have found, the new people I have met I am energized and excited. You are one of the grand people in the world the internet has let me know of. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 8, 2016 @ 15:27

3. I’m so glad you broke the rules and READ! I was taught to read at 3, and clearly remember reading the novel The Incredible Journey at age 5. I will also read just about anything I can, and go through a few books a week usually. What reader do you use on your iPad?

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 8, 2016 @ 16:17

• Ah good friend, I broke the rules by just breathing… but it is OK, a long time ago. The one I use most on the pad is Ibook, the other one I use is Kindle for IPad. I have nook but did not like it. My first preference is the Ibook, second is Kindle if I can’t get it on the Ibook. Oh gods the early books still ring so loud for me. James and the peach, the mountain lion book, the first son about native indians, so many I still reach back to. I read all the classics like the swiss family robinson before I even understood all the words or the meanings behind them. I lived on the nautilus with its voyages. I had no idea what a League was, but I knew it was under the water a lot. Then as a young adult I went for anything science fiction I could get. Arthur C Clarke, I robots, so many others created worlds I could go to and enjoy being in. What books do you read now? Do you still enjoy the same things? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 8, 2016 @ 16:29

• Oh and I remember devoring all 26 tarzan books in a space of a couple weeks when about 11 or 12. I had all day and night to myself, I had been shipped of to canada and then to another relative, the only thing they wanted of me was to make no noise or be seen, I stayed in their basement and read all the tarzan books. By the end I thought I was an ape man. 🙂 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 8, 2016 @ 16:31