November 10, 2016

New Toys

Filed under: Ideas, My Life and Rants, Pictures, Things I like — Scottie @ 16:11

Ron and I went out this afternoon.   We both were despondent and full of worry.   So we needed two things.   One was a new toaster oven.  We cook almost all our stuff in the toaster oven as the oven part of our old beat up worn out stove has reached almost the end of its days.  We don’t want to invest in a new stove until we remodel the entire kitchen.  That is part of the whole plan we had when we found out there was so much damage to our home we had no choice but to removed most of it and rebuild it.  However our old toaster oven was small and it was worn out, like me and Ron feel today.  I wanted a new microphone for my computer, and I had a gift card for 18 dollars at the store we went to for getting it.

So we went first to see if we could get a microphone.  I found one that will do and was almost entirely covered by the gift certificate.   I throw in the three dollars to pay for tax and the little extra of cost.

Next we went to Target.   We like Target and we love they are socially active in helping Gay and transgender people.  We like that they are working to get gender out of clothing and toys for children.  As we use the Toaster oven for so much cooking we wanted a very large one, which they had at a rather great price.  We had noticed it a few days earlier and held off to debate it.  I told Ron by the time we remodel the kitchen it would either be gone or way more in price.  I showed him how much more expensive it was in other stores and online.   Plus it gave me a chance to try new settings on my camera and I got some great shots.  I changed my Canon PowerShot A590 from auto ( that was what all the other pictures I have take has been in, automatic ) I changed it to easy, which gives me a few new settings I am not even a clue as to what they do.   Before I show you the new pictures I have to tell you a story I think is funny.

I was in Germany, and I loved museums and historical places.  I had a small instamatic camera.  I went to several historic churches all over Germany for two weeks.  In each town or city I went to the local cathedrals, the historic sites and shot rolls of film.  Back at my home base I had them processed and developed.  Trash.  Hardly a one out of so many rolls were even viewable.  Most were just dark views.   I was upset and angry.  That trip had cost me and I knew I couldn’t do it again.

So I went to the commissary.  I had been sending a huge chunk of my money home ( $400 a month ) to my bank account as I never had money before, had both a food stipend and a meal card for the mess hall, all my housing was paid for .  My ownly bills were a small car I had bought and left in the states.   It was too much to worry about so I simply wrote and had it paid off while I was in germany.  I simply had more money than I needed so saved all of it.  I wish the same was true today.

So I went to the base commissary and asked to be shown the best cameras they had.   I bought a huge big canon, a couple of lenses, one a huge long telescopic thing, a huge flash device and several other things.  A bag big enough to carry it all.  It turned out to be a waste after all.

I had a camera worth several thousands of dollars in the later 1980’s and no idea how to use it.  Be cause of it I was to become the unit photographer and as it had an easy automatic setting I did great with the big lenses.

I really never traveled much after that , and the camera sat in its bag in the house.  Then in 1991 about 6 months after Ron moved in with me, we took a trip to Florida as I had never seen Disney World and was so excited.   I had been working shut down at the nuclear plant and was so ready for a break.   Ron had wanted to take the camera as it was grand and he wanted pictures.  I reminded him how incredibly heavy it was and told him I wouldn’t lug it around.  He said he wanted to and to tell the truth I would have given him anything I could afford to.

Oh we were excited as we stood in line to go to the park.  Then the very first ride we went on was a roller coaster.  I reminded Ron to watch the camera and he was doing his best as he had the longest lens on it.   What a grand coaster ride it was, we twisted and turned and rumbled down the track.   After we got off and were walking away something was bothering me.   I realized the expensive flash for the camera was gone.  I asked Ron if he had tried to put it in his shirt or something, it was quite large.  HE got teary eyed, so afraid I would be angry he told me the first turn he shifted and hit the camera and the flash snapped off and when over the side.   HE was stunned at the fact I was laughing.  I told him look at it this way, it was lighter now and a lot less bulky.  He on that day understood money was not as important to me as he was.   Lost most of the pictures from that trip, but still have that expensive beast in the closet in its bag, unopened since about 1992.

Fast forward to the almost present.  Ron and I were doing rather well, we lived in a state with lots of major theme parks, and we went often.  I had gotten Ron a rather cheap digital camera to see how he would like it.  He loved it so I bought him the camera I have now.   Then a few years later I bought him a small flip video camera,  He has lost interest in photos so now again I have inherited them both.

So fast forward to today and my attempt to both record grand things we like but to IMPROVE my skills with photography, here is the rest of the pictures I took.  Ron’s new toaster oven.   As always I would love hints and advice.  I am trying to learn the settings.  I would ask you keep camera settings simple as I don’t understand the terminology yet.  Right now I am more interested in how to frame a shot, how to get the most WOW for the shot, what draws peoples eyes where.   Thanks.   Here is the last set today.  You have all been grand.  Hugs

1. Not just the shots, think about cropping for impact.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:15

• OK.. confused in chat way to crop.. just the subject or subject and some context? Thanks for the advice. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:33

• In the first two pix, you may want to crop the woodwork out of the front so the toaster has more impact.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:38

• OK I see.. I understand. By including the wooden front I did not give contrast, I took from the unit I was trying to showcase. Also I see the shadow I missed when I took it. Thank you, great help. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:41

• If you look at the first pic, think about cropping out those buttons? knobs? whatever on the left as they detract from the toaster oven. Harder to do on the second. Make sense?

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:44

• Yes I see. I never noticed them when taking the shot. It is the door into the kitchen. I should learn to pay more attention. Thanks.

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:48

• Much of today’s digital photgraphy is post-processing. I don’t have photoshop or indulge in RAW, but a basic crop can often improve a pic. If I can be bothered! But I learnt years ago on black and white photos with a right angle so I can visually see it these days.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:55

2. Spiffy!
    P.S. I sent you an email. .

Comment by Carmen — November 10, 2016 @ 16:19

• Yes, reading it. Will email you in a bit. Thanks and loving hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:32

3. Retail therapy! Always good if you are in the mood for it!

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 11, 2016 @ 16:40

• Am too heart sick. I know I have to get over it, I have to get in the mind set for the four year long fight against all the atrocities a TRump administration will try to do. I just don’t seem to have strength any more. Thanks and hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:30

• Are you on FB? I found a ‘secret’ group that is very inspirational and uplifting.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 13:34

• No , sorry but I never cared for face book. I just recently activated my old twitter account. I never felt the need for more than my blog. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:37

• Ah well. I think they are on Twitter – pantsuit nation. Lots of heartache and bafflement, but lots and LOTS of people not willing to accept the violence and hatred and are banding together. Over 3million already.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 13:43

• I thank you. I see my doctor monday and hope to get back into the fight soon. This just hit me so hard. I can not understand why so much of my country went into the side of hate, stupidity, lack of understanding , or even reason. I got to try hard to keep the worst from happening. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:47

• Well, only 56% voted. And over half of that number did vote for Clinton – and a lot of others voted for someone else with no chance. So truly, half the country does not hate us. Maybe 1/4. And of those, most say they did it for economic or political reasons. So maybe 1/8? The problem is that minority now thinks they can get away with murder.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 13:55

• And sadly I think some will try murder. I think attacks on gay people, Trans people, minorities, ethnic groups is going to increase greatly. I think democrats have to play hard, to fight , to not let them roll over us. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:59

• Scottie, did you listen to Elizabeth Warren’s conversation with Rachel Maddow? (I think it was yesterday). It might give you some hope. Remember, all the civic unrest is because so many people are concerned about the possible backlash to targets tRump has identified in his speeches. Good people will not stand for it. THEY are the majority.

Comment by Carmen — November 12, 2016 @ 14:02

• I have not yet, I couldn’t get up until 12:30. I just lay there. I don’t want to get up now, don’t want to do much. I bought a book by Aron Ra and I am trying to distract myself with that. I will go listen her in a few minutes. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:06

• It’s already happened. Dead Muslim in Wisconsin.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 14:09

• OH my Gods…….What happened? You know as a young man I drove through east berlin, controlled by the U.S.S.R. with a van full of dignitaries. We were shot at, yes took out one of our headlights. I drove that thing screaming into checkpoint charlie following the van ahead of me, not knowing where I was going and I was not as afraid as I am now. The last few days has me shocked, scared, worried. I have to get over it, I must as I can’t change it but I can fight back. I fought to be openly gay in a military in a time when gays were discharged, I never took second seat to bigotry. I can’t let it happen now. Thanks, tell me what happened please. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:16

• That sounds incredibly scary. But don’t forget that as we age, our reactions to stress become more unstable. That flood of adrenaline isn’t meant for our old bodies, we just aren’t physically able to do fight or flight anymore.

Here is the link. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/01/saudi-college-student-in-wisconsin-dies-after-assault/

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 14:20

• Thanks. You are so right about our aging bodies. Mine doesn’t know if it should hibernate or run, or stand still. 🙂 hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:22

• At the same time I am trying to comfort you, I am talking to a bisexual friend of mine who is also terrified. I can only share your worries this way – I’ve told her about you and now you about her. You aren’t alone. Ever. Hugs 💚

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 14:26

• Thank you. Your news was what I needed to rekindle the flame inside me. I just wrote a post, let know if it sounds reasonable or right? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:54