November 10, 2016

New Toys

Filed under: Ideas, My Life and Rants, Pictures, Things I like — Scottie @ 16:11

Ron and I went out this afternoon.   We both were despondent and full of worry.   So we needed two things.   One was a new toaster oven.  We cook almost all our stuff in the toaster oven as the oven part of our old beat up worn out stove has reached almost the end of its days.  We don’t want to invest in a new stove until we remodel the entire kitchen.  That is part of the whole plan we had when we found out there was so much damage to our home we had no choice but to removed most of it and rebuild it.  However our old toaster oven was small and it was worn out, like me and Ron feel today.  I wanted a new microphone for my computer, and I had a gift card for 18 dollars at the store we went to for getting it.

So we went first to see if we could get a microphone.  I found one that will do and was almost entirely covered by the gift certificate.   I throw in the three dollars to pay for tax and the little extra of cost.

Next we went to Target.   We like Target and we love they are socially active in helping Gay and transgender people.  We like that they are working to get gender out of clothing and toys for children.  As we use the Toaster oven for so much cooking we wanted a very large one, which they had at a rather great price.  We had noticed it a few days earlier and held off to debate it.  I told Ron by the time we remodel the kitchen it would either be gone or way more in price.  I showed him how much more expensive it was in other stores and online.   Plus it gave me a chance to try new settings on my camera and I got some great shots.  I changed my Canon PowerShot A590 from auto ( that was what all the other pictures I have take has been in, automatic ) I changed it to easy, which gives me a few new settings I am not even a clue as to what they do.   Before I show you the new pictures I have to tell you a story I think is funny.

I was in Germany, and I loved museums and historical places.  I had a small instamatic camera.  I went to several historic churches all over Germany for two weeks.  In each town or city I went to the local cathedrals, the historic sites and shot rolls of film.  Back at my home base I had them processed and developed.  Trash.  Hardly a one out of so many rolls were even viewable.  Most were just dark views.   I was upset and angry.  That trip had cost me and I knew I couldn’t do it again.

So I went to the commissary.  I had been sending a huge chunk of my money home ( $400 a month ) to my bank account as I never had money before, had both a food stipend and a meal card for the mess hall, all my housing was paid for .  My ownly bills were a small car I had bought and left in the states.   It was too much to worry about so I simply wrote and had it paid off while I was in germany.  I simply had more money than I needed so saved all of it.  I wish the same was true today.

So I went to the base commissary and asked to be shown the best cameras they had.   I bought a huge big canon, a couple of lenses, one a huge long telescopic thing, a huge flash device and several other things.  A bag big enough to carry it all.  It turned out to be a waste after all.

I had a camera worth several thousands of dollars in the later 1980’s and no idea how to use it.  Be cause of it I was to become the unit photographer and as it had an easy automatic setting I did great with the big lenses.

I really never traveled much after that , and the camera sat in its bag in the house.  Then in 1991 about 6 months after Ron moved in with me, we took a trip to Florida as I had never seen Disney World and was so excited.   I had been working shut down at the nuclear plant and was so ready for a break.   Ron had wanted to take the camera as it was grand and he wanted pictures.  I reminded him how incredibly heavy it was and told him I wouldn’t lug it around.  He said he wanted to and to tell the truth I would have given him anything I could afford to.

Oh we were excited as we stood in line to go to the park.  Then the very first ride we went on was a roller coaster.  I reminded Ron to watch the camera and he was doing his best as he had the longest lens on it.   What a grand coaster ride it was, we twisted and turned and rumbled down the track.   After we got off and were walking away something was bothering me.   I realized the expensive flash for the camera was gone.  I asked Ron if he had tried to put it in his shirt or something, it was quite large.  HE got teary eyed, so afraid I would be angry he told me the first turn he shifted and hit the camera and the flash snapped off and when over the side.   HE was stunned at the fact I was laughing.  I told him look at it this way, it was lighter now and a lot less bulky.  He on that day understood money was not as important to me as he was.   Lost most of the pictures from that trip, but still have that expensive beast in the closet in its bag, unopened since about 1992.

Fast forward to the almost present.  Ron and I were doing rather well, we lived in a state with lots of major theme parks, and we went often.  I had gotten Ron a rather cheap digital camera to see how he would like it.  He loved it so I bought him the camera I have now.   Then a few years later I bought him a small flip video camera,  He has lost interest in photos so now again I have inherited them both.

So fast forward to today and my attempt to both record grand things we like but to IMPROVE my skills with photography, here is the rest of the pictures I took.  Ron’s new toaster oven.   As always I would love hints and advice.  I am trying to learn the settings.  I would ask you keep camera settings simple as I don’t understand the terminology yet.  Right now I am more interested in how to frame a shot, how to get the most WOW for the shot, what draws peoples eyes where.   Thanks.   Here is the last set today.  You have all been grand.  Hugs

1. Not just the shots, think about cropping for impact.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:15

• OK.. confused in chat way to crop.. just the subject or subject and some context? Thanks for the advice. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:33

• In the first two pix, you may want to crop the woodwork out of the front so the toaster has more impact.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:38

• OK I see.. I understand. By including the wooden front I did not give contrast, I took from the unit I was trying to showcase. Also I see the shadow I missed when I took it. Thank you, great help. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:41

• If you look at the first pic, think about cropping out those buttons? knobs? whatever on the left as they detract from the toaster oven. Harder to do on the second. Make sense?

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:44

• Yes I see. I never noticed them when taking the shot. It is the door into the kitchen. I should learn to pay more attention. Thanks.

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:48

• Much of today’s digital photgraphy is post-processing. I don’t have photoshop or indulge in RAW, but a basic crop can often improve a pic. If I can be bothered! But I learnt years ago on black and white photos with a right angle so I can visually see it these days.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — November 10, 2016 @ 16:55

2. Spiffy!
    P.S. I sent you an email. .

Comment by Carmen — November 10, 2016 @ 16:19

• Yes, reading it. Will email you in a bit. Thanks and loving hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 10, 2016 @ 16:32

3. Retail therapy! Always good if you are in the mood for it!

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 11, 2016 @ 16:40

• Am too heart sick. I know I have to get over it, I have to get in the mind set for the four year long fight against all the atrocities a TRump administration will try to do. I just don’t seem to have strength any more. Thanks and hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:30

• Are you on FB? I found a ‘secret’ group that is very inspirational and uplifting.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 13:34

• No , sorry but I never cared for face book. I just recently activated my old twitter account. I never felt the need for more than my blog. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:37

• Ah well. I think they are on Twitter – pantsuit nation. Lots of heartache and bafflement, but lots and LOTS of people not willing to accept the violence and hatred and are banding together. Over 3million already.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 13:43

• I thank you. I see my doctor monday and hope to get back into the fight soon. This just hit me so hard. I can not understand why so much of my country went into the side of hate, stupidity, lack of understanding , or even reason. I got to try hard to keep the worst from happening. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:47

• Well, only 56% voted. And over half of that number did vote for Clinton – and a lot of others voted for someone else with no chance. So truly, half the country does not hate us. Maybe 1/4. And of those, most say they did it for economic or political reasons. So maybe 1/8? The problem is that minority now thinks they can get away with murder.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 13:55

• And sadly I think some will try murder. I think attacks on gay people, Trans people, minorities, ethnic groups is going to increase greatly. I think democrats have to play hard, to fight , to not let them roll over us. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 13:59

• Scottie, did you listen to Elizabeth Warren’s conversation with Rachel Maddow? (I think it was yesterday). It might give you some hope. Remember, all the civic unrest is because so many people are concerned about the possible backlash to targets tRump has identified in his speeches. Good people will not stand for it. THEY are the majority.

Comment by Carmen — November 12, 2016 @ 14:02

• I have not yet, I couldn’t get up until 12:30. I just lay there. I don’t want to get up now, don’t want to do much. I bought a book by Aron Ra and I am trying to distract myself with that. I will go listen her in a few minutes. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:06

• I hope you are right.

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 8, 2020 @ 11:09

• It’s already happened. Dead Muslim in Wisconsin.

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 14:09

• OH my Gods…….What happened? You know as a young man I drove through east berlin, controlled by the U.S.S.R. with a van full of dignitaries. We were shot at, yes took out one of our headlights. I drove that thing screaming into checkpoint charlie following the van ahead of me, not knowing where I was going and I was not as afraid as I am now. The last few days has me shocked, scared, worried. I have to get over it, I must as I can’t change it but I can fight back. I fought to be openly gay in a military in a time when gays were discharged, I never took second seat to bigotry. I can’t let it happen now. Thanks, tell me what happened please. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:16

• That sounds incredibly scary. But don’t forget that as we age, our reactions to stress become more unstable. That flood of adrenaline isn’t meant for our old bodies, we just aren’t physically able to do fight or flight anymore.

Here is the link. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/01/saudi-college-student-in-wisconsin-dies-after-assault/

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 14:20

• Thanks. You are so right about our aging bodies. Mine doesn’t know if it should hibernate or run, or stand still. 🙂 hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:22

• At the same time I am trying to comfort you, I am talking to a bisexual friend of mine who is also terrified. I can only share your worries this way – I’ve told her about you and now you about her. You aren’t alone. Ever. Hugs 💚

Comment by heretherebespiders — November 12, 2016 @ 14:26

• Thank you. Your news was what I needed to rekindle the flame inside me. I just wrote a post, let know if it sounds reasonable or right? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 12, 2016 @ 14:54

• Dems are split. Bernie’s folks will not vote for “Uncle Joe”

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 8, 2020 @ 11:08

• Hello Lindi Roze. Ah I would be careful saying Bernie people won’t vote for Joe. At least I would like to see proof. See the DNC and Hillary Clinton love to claim that Bernie Bros did not vote for Hillary. But that is incorrect. I have posted on it before. Hillary and her supporters did far worse for Obama than Bernie’s supporters did for Hillary. But right now we all know getting tRump out of the White House at any cost is the most important thing. So while many people are ticked off at the way the DNC has treated progressives and furious that Joe is dissing all the things we are fighting for, we will vote for the nominee. There are progressive groups who are angry with the way the Democrats have taken us for granted and just dismiss us then demand our vote. But this election we will put that aside because we all know that tRump must go. No matter who we will vote blue. The next election, if there is one, we will demand the DNC want us in the party and want our vote, or they won’t get it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 13:23

• No matter who we will vote blue. — Scottie, I truly and deeply hope you’re right. I know I will … and many others as well. But the “discontents” are not happy about the situation with Bernie (again) and may strike back at the DNC. Fingers crossed that this doesn’t happen, but I’m not as confident as you.

Comment by Nan — April 8, 2020 @ 13:32

• Hello Nan. I know and I understand. I listened to Cenk Uygur argue with a Bernie supporter after Biden trashed the idea of Medicare For All. She was refusing to vote for him if he was going to insult her that way. Cenk reminded her that the fight today was against tRump, after he was gone we could fight for better things, more progressive things. This vote is to save the country, the next one is to rebuild the country. She was hesitant so I am not sure she was convinced, but I was. That is all I can say. The most progressive news show online is pushing hard for everyone to vote blue not matter who, and they are seriously die hard Bernie people. I agree. I have issues I want to fight for . I also know the things I care about are under attack now and will face devastation under a second uncontrolled tRump term. I seriously doubt if he wins a second term there will be anymore elections. He will rule until he dies and his chosen spawn will take over, unless the infighting in the Republican overlord party picks another ruler instead. Ready for crown ruler Jim Jordan, or Matt Gaetz? It has happened in other countries where they were a democracy, and now they are not. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 14:20

• I think I saw a very wise woman’s blog who stated she’d vote for Mickey Mouse vs. Donald tRump. 😉

Comment by Carmen — April 8, 2020 @ 13:47

• Hello Carmen. I would vote for my family member Milo over tRump and I know what a mischievous “Dennis the menace” get into trouble do what you have been told no already wonderful loving huggy partner he is. This is a cat that you have just removed from a place who looks at you and jumps back there. I have placed a newly bought fresh carton of eggs on the counter, turned back to see him rub on them, yell at him, and watch as he looks at me and pushes them off the counter. I would still vote for him over tRump the idiotic. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 14:32

• I totally agree. I hope you are right. I have some family Bernie supporters that have posted on FB. I was with Hillary in 2008, then worked aggressively for Obama. 2016 was a whole different ball game and frankly for this one I still didnt have an outstanding favorite. I am on the vote blue no matter who- no apologies there.

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 8, 2020 @ 16:54

• Bernie has dropped out.

Comment by Nan — April 8, 2020 @ 13:56

• whaaaat? When?

Comment by Carmen — April 8, 2020 @ 13:58

• Just read the headlines but articles were posted 2 hours ago.

Comment by Nan — April 8, 2020 @ 14:02

• I can understand, I guess. I mean, whoever wins (and I am assuming it’ll be a Democrat) is going to have one hell of a mess to clean up – and that was before Covid-19 and what it’s going to do to the economy. . who’d want that kind of stress? 😦

Comment by Carmen — April 8, 2020 @ 14:06

• He just didn’t have the support that he did at the beginning. Many of us aren’t all that thrilled with Biden — and in fact, some of us are concerned that we’ll be going backwards — but as I’m sure you know, we MUST get rid of Trump. I just wish NY’s Cuomo would consider a run but he adamantly says no.

Comment by Nan — April 8, 2020 @ 14:12

• Hello Nan. Shit this is what I get for shutting off the news. Thanks for the heads up. I hope the hell he got something for it, he does deserve it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 14:37

• Yes I saw that. It was inevitable. I hope we dont have a repeat of 2016.

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 8, 2020 @ 16:45

• Hello Lindi Roze. I don’t think we will. Even green party supporters have to realize that removing tRump from office is the priority and tops any other issue or want. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 9, 2020 @ 17:24

• I hope you are right.🤞

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 9, 2020 @ 17:54

• Hello Lindi. Me too, I really do. I am so worried about this I am tied up in knots. Every video clip I watch of Biden I get more worried. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 9, 2020 @ 17:56

• Me too!

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 9, 2020 @ 19:31

• I hear you my friend. Hang in there. Great adventure story by the way.

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 8, 2020 @ 11:07

• Thank you Lindi Roze. The thing was Ron had worked for tRump and we knew about his flaws and we were sure of what would come. And it did. We have learned to deal and to channel our anger into defeating him this election. Be well, be safe. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 13:00

• Scottie there you go. Being your usual diplomatic self. You knew about his flaws and were sure of what was to come? omg – could anyone have predicted this kind of downright dangerous leadership? My heart hurts for you sensible Americans. 😦

Comment by Carmen — April 8, 2020 @ 13:07

• Hello Carmen. Thank you. tRump has been a disaster for not just the US but seems to have spawned a bunch of clones all over the world. Plus without the guiding hand of the US along with Canada as a restraint the worst of the worlds leaders seem to have taken now to go completely dictatorship.
              Carmen I do worry about my country if he keeps power for much longer, but I worry also about the world if tRump is not removed. It seems a replay of history with the building of evil empires ready to attack and take over the smaller democracies around them. Who will be the next Churchill or FDR when needed? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 14:09

Comment by Lindi Roze — April 8, 2020 @ 16:55

4. OH MY! I just noticed this was originally posted in 2016! Anyway, I was going to point out that Costco has this T/O for $169,99. I don’t know what you paid for yours “way-back-when” but that’s their current price. Actually, I’d never heard of the Galanz brand before your post … ??

Anyway, I’m no photo expert so can’t add anything to the original post.

Comment by Nan — April 8, 2020 @ 12:38

• Whoops! Don’t know how Galanz got in there … guess from prior research as we were considering purchasing one ourselves awhile back. I meant to comment that Costco currently has the Oster T/O for $99.99.

Comment by Nan — April 8, 2020 @ 12:43

• Hello Nan. Thanks. Ron has great plans for the kitchen which is in the many years state of remodel, yet right now he has little energy or time to work on it. When done we will have a large amount of counter space. However right now it is limited. So getting rid of the toaster oven would help. But Ron is very taken with it, so I think it will be with us for years to come. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 13:55

• Hello Nan. Thank you. I was highly surprised when the comments came in. on this post. But I love the comments. Also I realized I have the related posts thing turned on in the settings so they show below the post. I don’t remember what we paid for it. I know it is extra large, and for years we used it instead of the old oven that did not work, and then again instead of the new oven we got in 2017. I am just now getting Ron use to the idea of using the real oven, the one in the very expensive very large stove we bought. I think he did not want to get it dirty. My goal is to get rid of the toaster oven, as I think it is a waste to have both, but I suspect there will be a lot of pushback on that. I would love to have the counter space. Oh well, to keep the peace… Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 8, 2020 @ 13:51