December 19, 2016

The 3 Easy Steps to Repeal Marriage Equality – YouTube

Filed under: Bigotry, Gender, Harm, Homosexual, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 12:28

This is scary.  It is what I have been afraid of.  One reason I dislike these so called “freedom of religion” laws.  I don’t understand the deep hatred so many of these right wing religious groups have for gays.  Most of them make it quite clear these laws are designed to let them harm or discriminate against gays.  Specifically gays and transgender.   However how long will it be before someone will claim they can discriminate against blacks because their religious beliefs are based in white supremacy?  Will a public school teacher get the right to refuse to teach Muslim kids due to their deeply held christian beliefs?  This country has had a long struggle with discrimination and bigotry.  We had to install laws to keep people from indulging in hate acts against those groups they did not like.   Once you legally give permission for one group to indulge their bigotry, once you let one group be discriminated against, then other will try to be given the same “rights” and want the laws to let them discriminate against their disliked groups.   Talk about special rights, that is just what these religious groups want.  The special right to discriminate based on their own brand of faith.   I can not understand why they want to push these laws so hard.  Again I don’t  understand why these groups hate gay and transgender people so very much.   Of course the lack of education in the country today, the teaching of faiths over science and history, is a large part of the problem.  Look at the situation in Poland the last year.  They are going through the very thing we are starting now.   Be careful.  Hugs

1. As a christian person I do not understand the hatred either. As people who are supposed to follow the example of Jesus it seems many of us sure fall short. I understand not all people accept a God or believe Jesus was from God but for those of us who do believe we should be loving, non-condemning and respectful to all people. We are to be known for our love of God and love of others. Where the hate comes from I do not understand. I do not want to confuse the religion of Christianity and those who want to follow the example of Christ, there is a difference or should be. Yet it seems a lot of us christian people have shown more hate and condemnation rather than the love of God we should be known for. We can be kind and accepting to all people even in our differences. Rather than judge and condemn look beyond the labels we put on others and see the human being that wants to be loved and accepted just like everyone else.

Comment by DoneWithReligion — December 19, 2016 @ 16:26

• I like what you have written. I could easily be supportive of a person with that faith. What bothers me is when those that yell the loudest about being “Christian” want to force others to accept, believe, and act as they claim to do. My problem comes from those that want to enshrine their beliefs, and only theirs, into law. I support personal faith, but fight against the taking science out of schools and inserting religious doctrines in its place. Just as I wouldn’t want anyone to burst into a church and start teaching science, I don’t want the church bursting into schools and teaching religion. My marriage has not harmed anyone else one bit. All the terrible horrible things these people screamed would happen if we gave equal rights to everyone… did not happen. Yet they are not held accountable for that. They just get to collect more money and scream more fearful lies. Thank you for your comment. Be well and happy. Grand holiday for you and yours. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 19, 2016 @ 16:43

• I’m with you Scottie. To many of us who call ourselves christian are not acting much like Christ at all. We do not all have to agree but should accept one another and accept one another even in our differences. Happy holidays to you and your family too.

Comment by DoneWithReligion — December 19, 2016 @ 16:47

• Thank you. I served two branches of the US military to insure people could worship as they wished. I also served so people could be free not to worship. Thank you again. I hope we can talk more. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 19, 2016 @ 16:51

• Thank you for your service.

Comment by DoneWithReligion — December 19, 2016 @ 17:41

• Welcome. It is something I felt was important. Still do. But it was a different time. We all felt we were protecting the American way. Not only protecting the country against enemies, but insuring the rights of the people were honored. It all seems different now somehow. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 19, 2016 @ 17:50

2. I’m seeing this everywhere in different shapes and colors…thing is it’s Newspeak lol. We’re using their words…instead of people or humans we see “groups” and factions and colors and…labels on boxes. My theory divide and conquer ofc. How do you repress a nation? Ask hitler. Better yet ask a millennial if they know about hitler…(yes education here is the worst.) keep writing. Xoxo

Comment by Echo — December 19, 2016 @ 17:06

3. Really, it all hinges on Trump getting two nominees into the Supreme Court. Marriage equality from the Hodges case happened with five nominees by GOP Presidents, and four nominees by Democrats. I don’t think any Democratic appointee would step down in the next 4 years. Additionally, the GOP established a precedent of holding up a nomination by waiting for a presidential election, so if the Dems got Congress in 2018, they could do the same.

I mention all of this to point out that if people sue to diminish same-sex marriage rights in the near future, they will actively be working quite hard to strengthen marriage equality. These suits were going to happen anyways. Republicans are jumping the gun in thinking that one appointee will help them out. Additionally, there is the risk that they appoint someone who is secretly progressive, which would undermine their goals even more.

The bottom line is that things will be okay for now. Yes, Trump will appoint a justice to the Supreme Court, but that’s all the influence he will have right now.

Comment by Sirius Bizinus — December 19, 2016 @ 20:55

• Thanks S.B. It is great to have another perspective, to see another viewpoint. I do worry about Jeff Sessions the incoming Attorney General. Lets hope for the best and fight the worst. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2016 @ 11:33

4. I hear you on this… Jesus hung out with 13 dudes and a hooker or so they say…

Comment by omtatjuan3 — December 21, 2016 @ 07:09