January 9, 2017

Doctor visit day, shots

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 16:04

Hello everyone.  I was asked to keep a few people updated with my latest results when the doctor went over them with me.   This is the easiest way to tell a lot of people at one time.  If you would rather not hear about my current medical situation, please know you can skip this post and I won’t be upset at all.   In fact we were talking in the office and they felt my attitude when I come in was rather wonderful.  I don’t complain, I am reasonable, I am not into pity or sympathy seeking.   I am interested in their lives and what is going on with them.   I feel everyone has bad stuff in their life and they don’t need to be bludgeoned by mine also.  I could live my life making my pain and medical problems be my entire focus of life, or I can live my life making the grand happy things I experience the things I focus on.  I know my condition is only going to get worse, so why not take joy in the good things I have now.  For example I have a wonderful husband who treats me as a princess.  I have no responsibilities other than what I choose to have.  I have plenty of food, I have shelter, I have clothing, I have toys, I have internet, I have friends, I have my fur family of my cats.  Ron takes me anywhere I want to go, he handles all the things in my life that stresses me.   So why should I dwell on the bad when in truth I have it so good.

Now on to the doctors visit.  As I mentioned I finally got the X-Rays the doctor had been wanting me to get.  Turns out she explained I had fractured my left hip, I had avascular necrosis in my left hip with the head being compressed.  I had also damaged my knee and had fluid build up and arthritis.     Not sure what kind of arthritis.   I also had a deformed vertebrae with a damaged nerve and worsening arthritis.   So this is what the doctor wants me to do.  I now have to add another doctor to my list.  I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon.   My doctor wants to have me evaluated to have my hip replaced.   I think it far too early.  I know on my right hip which I also lost due to avascular necrosis, I was diagnosed with it in 1996.   I had a core decompression done and spent two and 1/2 years in a wheelchair to try to save the bone.  They found out core decompressions don’t work at all.  However they did not replace the right hip until the bone was entirely decayed.   So it was not until seven years later in 2004 that I got a total hip replacement on my right leg.  I figured I would have some more years left to go but she wants me evaluated now.   I have to have a MRI on the knee to let the new Orthopedic doctor know what to tell me to do.  The spine I don’t know what they are going to do, I am not sure if they will want another x-ray set on that.   She said she would leave it up to the new doctor.   I also got put on a new medication called cymbalta.  Cymbalta is one of Eli Lilly’s top-selling drugs, used for treating depression, anxiety, and bone and muscle pain.  I was thinking of a PRN medication to take as needed but she wanted me on it full time, twice a day.  It also will help with my fibromyalgia.  Now as to the shots I get.  I think I got 18 this time.  I say 18 because I lost count but was still getting them after I counted 16.    I just don’t know how many after that.  My doctor forgot to tell me the number and I forgot to ask.   I felt relief within 15 minutes.   So poor Ron who had worked three 12 hour night shifts in a row, came home and got 2 hours sleep then had to take me to the doctors.  He slept in the van while I was seen.   Then as he usually does he took me out for lunch to sort of make up for the pain of the shots.   So I feel better, full for a while, and Ron is in bed until five when I have to get him.  The shot will cause me to be hungry for a few days.   I have to get all new blood work and urine tests tomorrow morning, and then see my primary care on Thursday the 12th.   Hugs

1. “I could live my life making my pain and medical problems be my entire focus of life, or I can live my life making the grand happy things I experience the things I focus on.” – Absolutely, we have a choice. And I choose to be happy too. *smiles*.

Th replacement hip advice is a tricky decision. You’ve been there before and know your own body. I have someone close to me and she had a full hip replacement which turned out to be a wonderful thing, however she is almost 80yrs old. But I have a friend too who is only 62 and has been recommended to have one hip replaced, though they made it clear that having it done when that young will probably mean he’ll need another replacement farther down the line, so he’s holding back. It’s good to hear you so positive regardless. You are indeed a lucky man in many ways, as is Ron.

– esme hugging him upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — January 9, 2017 @ 18:01

• Thank you dear lady. It is true, I was told the first hip may last between 15 to 20 years. The second hip may last between 10 to 15 years. The third hip may last 5 to 10 years. Each hip replacement is more painful during the life of the hip than the one before it. Also remember each time they replace the hip they have to cut some leg bone off so that leg is shorter, requiring special shoes, one being higher than the other made to match the difference in your leg lengths. These are some of the reasons why I had to wait until my bone had decayed to the point the leg was useless. You be well and may joy always flow on your cloud. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 9, 2017 @ 18:28

2. Yikes! Please take care of yourself:)

Comment by omtatjuan3 — January 9, 2017 @ 22:01

• Ron tries to do so. 🙂 You’re right I try, and I am in a good spot all things taken into account. I am thankful I don’t have to stand in the rain, work 16 hour shifts 10 days in a row, or have to crawl down those tight holes like you do. I couldn’t do it and would break or die the first day. 😉 I am amazed that you can do it and stay so cheery. I salute you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 10, 2017 @ 11:33

3. Oh, Scottie. I am thinking of you and wishing you the very best, as always. 🙂

Comment by Carmen — January 10, 2017 @ 06:12

• Thank you Carmen. I love how caring and nice you are to everyone. You take time for others even though your life is so busy. Thank you, but remember I try my best to stay positive because I have it really good for someone who has my problems and is poor. Be well, and know I think you are grand. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 10, 2017 @ 11:31

4. Glad the shots helped, and hubby got to take a nap! I was on cymbalta for a while, back in the late 90’s. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I really don’t think I have it. I think my aches were stress related. Then again, fibre gets worse when stressed out! Lol who knows, bodies are weird and awkward at the best of times.
    Hugs to YOU. Let me know if I can help with anything, I do work for a medical supply company and am in charge of returned products, so I get some perfectly good equipment and such that can’t be resold for a smudge or a scratch. I can email you the website of my company, so you can see what things I could keep an eye out for you?

Comment by heretherebespiders — January 10, 2017 @ 16:29

• I thank you greatly. I tell everyone my body was shoddy construction by drunk workers who put it together. Just not well made. Hard to get good help in those days to create babies? My body was crafted by complete amateurs. I am glad you don’t have fibro, I hate it. Most of my problems can be ignored some of the time, but the fibro problems make it so I can not even stand any wind on my skin. Not from a fan, a breeze, or the A/C in the car. If wind blows against my skin it creates a physical pain. I hurt. The nerves are on fire. But I am not the one who suffers. Ron is. The poor man would love the overhead fan on in our bedroom, but if I am also in bed he has to have it shut off. He put a tiny fan on his bedside table that blows only on him. He has to sleep on the side with the A/c comes from as his body blocks it from hitting me. IF he is not there I pile his pillows up as a wall. So as much as it bothers me I think others suffer more for it. 😉 be well, you are a grand lady. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 10, 2017 @ 16:49

• How did the cymbalta work? How did it affect you. I am really nervous about these type meds. Thank you for letting me know about the equipment. I told Ron and he said it was a great idea. I told him you are a grand person. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 10, 2017 @ 16:54

• I honestly don’t remember. I doubt it worked, as I’m not on it now?

Comment by heretherebespiders — January 10, 2017 @ 17:00

• Sorry. They are hoping it will do double duty for me, anxiety and relief from the bone, muscle and nerve pains. I really hope it does something without making me a zombie. Last time we tried something like this I simply sat and stared at the wall all day. Ron said it was the most peace he had in years. 🙂 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 10, 2017 @ 17:02

• Oh one more thing. I went to day to help an 81 year old lady who had messed up her display setting on the computer. She had it so large she could only see the start tiles, everything was huge and off screen. I fixed it and learned something. She was a medical marvel. SHe is the only person I know who can talk non-stop without taking a breath. Maybe she has an air hose up her butt, but she never stopped talking for the time she picked me up to the time I was again at my door when she brought me home. Many hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 10, 2017 @ 16:57