February 24, 2017

More on my routine

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 12:33

I would like to share with you more of my morning routine.  My routine is important to me and if rush to do something else I get all flustered.   I often forget things if I don’t stay with my routine.  I tend to be out of sorts for sometime.

So I left off basically at getting my shower and leaving the bedroom.  I go to my office, turn on the computers, lights, open the blinds.  I then feed the cats treats as they are meowing at me, and each one is on their sides of my desk.  Milo next to the monitors, and Odie in the alcove.  I have small towels down so they know where to lay and do not try to crowd me.  If I do not put the towels down they creep closer to my hands , closer to the equipment.  I then go to the open concept kitchen / living room.  I start my coffee.  I open all the blinds.  I get a couple sodas from the refrigerator.  I return to my office.

I should explain the lay out.  It sounds like I am moving down hallways and stuff, which is not so.  When we bought the place we loved the design of the home.  It was an older home but seemed in good shape.  We knew the owners, who had only been in the home a couple years.  They portrayed themselves as extremely moral christians.  We spent a lot of time with them and enjoyed their company.  So we were both surprised and dismayed to find out they lied to us.  The house was not sound.  It had massive water damage, mold in the walls, failing pipes, rotten floors.  After a couple years of trying to fix things piecemeal and stay ahead of each crisis Ron decided the only way to get ahead was to gut the whole place and rebuild it.  We did not see much problems.  Ron had the skills and we had the money to do it.  Then after gutting the place and pulling up the floors, taking out all the walls, redoing the pipes and electric things changed.  We lost a large chunk of our income.  I got very ill and my medical cost soared.  We also took in someone who needed a home who had no income and way to survive without us.  The repairs ground to a halt.  We lived this way for a few years.   Now things are again returning to a more normal status.  Ron and James put down floors, built new bathrooms, set up walls.  So here is the new layout for the kitchen / living room / my office.   Ron left the kitchen / living room open with no dividers.   It works best for me the less walls and hallways I have to go around.  My office has a door on an angle to the the open living room / kitchen.  Basically my door way is in the middle of both rooms.  Ron did this deliberately so I would be part of the household, and interact with others.

Back to my morning routine.  I now start my daily computer tasks.  I first set the second computer I use to watch news and movies / videos and other things on.  I normally start with a semi news and comedy program, from there I move to several news stations.   Then on my main computer I open Twitter and do a dozen or so tweets.  Then I open my blog home page and start to answer the comments.   The comments are very important to me.  I love them.  I try to answer each one.  At this point I use to go to a bunch of comic pages I like and get chuckles out of.  However I rarely do that now as I have a lot of blogs I love that I get emails from about comments and new posts.   So because I sometimes don’t feel up to being on the computer or have doctors appointments I have gotten way behind on them.   What I prefer to do is have a list of bookmarked sites of fellow bloggers I really enjoy.  I use to just go down the list, read all the new posts and comment on them.  I prefer to do my reading and blogging this way.   Until I get my email backlog knocked down I now start by opening my email and reading each one, using them to go to the posts and comments I have missed.

So that is my morning routine and basicly my day.  Today my computer time will be interrupted.  I did not get to my computer until 11 AM.  Then about 1 PM I have to wake Ron ( Ron worked a 12 hour shift last night and I was in too much pain to sleep until after 3 AM )  to take me to the hospital outpatient lab for a urine test.  The doctors are worried about my liver with the meds I was on.  My primary wants me to take less pain meds, which I can’t do.   My pain doctors want my primary care to put me on sugar meds that do not strain my liver, which she doesn’t want to do.  I am in the middle and having to do lots of blood and urine tests.

This is my day, almost every day.  It is my routine and I like it.  Be well.   Hugs

1. Hope your tests go well. Have a great weekend Scottie!

Comment by cornfedcontessa — February 24, 2017 @ 12:38

2. I know what you mean if the routine does not work, but sometimes these things do not go as they should, but having a routine to break is positive, because you have a goal. Sorry to read you are not doing so well healthwise and hope things go better.
    My routine was not so good this morning, but I it was entirely my own fault – like hugging the bed to long and not rising when I should.

Comment by angloswiss — February 24, 2017 @ 13:16

• Thank you. I am very lucky . Even though my health is fragile I have a great support network and I have everything I could need. My set up works well for me. I am free to pursue mostly my own agenda most days. I understand the hugging the bed in the morning. 🙂 SO yes my routine is comforting and comfortable for me, but as you say not critical.

Comment by Scottie — February 24, 2017 @ 13:19

3. Good luck with the tests and have a hug filled weekend Scottie 👍😃

Comment by The Story Reading Ape — February 24, 2017 @ 14:51

4. Ron sounds so wonderful. To design and build the house that way, so it’s ideal for you. And you both taking in that chap who was clearly in a bad way. Then I look at the so called ‘moral Christians’ and find their deceit has them shrivelled and low in comparison to your honesty and compassion.

It’s nice going through your routine with you. There’s a great deal of comfort to be found in them often, but it can be nice to break out too. I hope your test results are of use, and you don’t spend the next few hours weeing due to all the drink!

– esme sending love and hugs from upon the Cloud ❤ x

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — February 24, 2017 @ 16:39

• 🙂 Thanks. I love all the love and hugs. Sending more hugs to the cloud for Esme

Comment by Scottie — February 24, 2017 @ 17:13

5. It is good to know I am not the only one who has a routine. I like my routine. It is comfortable.
    Has anyone suggested milk thistle? I only ask because it was just suggested to my daughter to aid her liver function as she is taking other meds that can tax the liver.
    I am so sorry you are in pain.

Comment by bethanyk — February 24, 2017 @ 23:50

• No. I have an appointment coming up soon and I will ask. Thanks. I like with my new keyboard I can do comments on my pad in bed. Thanks for the suggestion. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 25, 2017 @ 09:14

• My husband bout me the same thing! I can prop myself up, ice pack on the shoulder,heating pad on the legs, and type away! Its so nice isnt it!

Comment by bethanyk — February 25, 2017 @ 12:21

• Oh yes, I get a lot of use out of it, Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 25, 2017 @ 13:16

• Hello Bethany. I talked to Ron about your suggestion of Milk Thistle. He smacked himself for forgetting it. He has some here. the pills are 1000 MG and Ron says I should take one in the morning and one at night. Thanks for the great idea. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 25, 2017 @ 17:49

• Wonderful!!! I am so excited you have them!!! My daugther’s liver enzymes were elevated and milk thistle brought them down. Interestingly my dog’s were VERY high, he had cancer, and after a month of milk thistle his liver levels were normal. I am not sure the mg. But i hope it helps you

Comment by bethanyk — February 26, 2017 @ 00:14

• Thanks. Going to give it a try. I take all these meds and they keep changing the sugar ones. Hug

Comment by Scottie — February 26, 2017 @ 08:57

6. Scottie, I just wanted to share with you my recent ordeal with pain meds. I’ve been on ultram and percocet for 23 years due to a crippling autoimmune disease (rheumatoid arthritis). Even with both those meds on board I felt my pain was very poorly controlled.

This January my doctor insisted I had to start doing random drug screens, as recommended by the outgoing Obama administration to halt the abuse of prescription painkillers. The problem: I couldn’t afford the drug screening, which was $600 a pop. Alas, no more access to painkillers.

That sounds like a sad story but it’s not. While tapering off the meds gave me agonizing withdrawal and temporarily increased my pain, I have to tell you my pain is now better OFF the painkillers. Studies have shown that opioids “sensitize” pain nerves, increasing your pain if you take them long term. I would never have believed this if I hadn’t experienced a lessening of my pain after tapering off these drugs.

The catch: your pain will not begin to settle down until you’ve been off the opioids entirely for at least two weeks. Now I take tylenol arthrits ER…it didn’t do one damn thing for my pain when I was on opioids, but now that I’m off them, it works great.

So I just wanted to say you might want to give it a try to go off painkillers. I know this approach isn’t for everyone and you have to judge your own personal situation. I’m just blown away by the fact that I’m in less pain now after stopping the painkillers than I ever was for the 23 years I was on them.

Good luck and many hugs. ❤

Comment by Violet — March 4, 2017 @ 00:26

• Hello Violet. Thank you for telling me what you have gone through. I have been told by my clinic that if you try to block all pain the body will grow new pain receptors. I have gone through times without narcotics as I have had operations that have lessened the pain. I have to be careful about Tylenol as I have meds that are hard on the liver and kidneys. Right now I am in the process of bring my liver numbers back down as the sugar med they tried on me sent them soaring. I have a wonderful clinic. Sadly in my case in Florida, the state stepped in to try to regulate pain clinics by telling doctors what they can prescribe and what they can’t. The truth is this is an attempt to hurt pain clinics for political gain. One of the drugs, the best one for one of my conditions, my primare can give me, but my pain clinic who was giving it to me can’t. We all now must see the MD indicated on our charts twice a year, instead of the person we see all the time. It is silly and useless as the people we see are either ARNP or PA. Now both have great training. The ARNP can in most places open their own office. They have as much education as a MD, just through a different path. About the pee test. I and everyone I know take them every three months. However we don’t get charged for them unless we need to do a special kind. My clinic does the test themselves and the insurance covers it. It seems to me things that shouldn’t be political are getting that way. I am sorry you are in pain and have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I wish you the very best. I hope you will remain pain controlled. Be wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 4, 2017 @ 11:24