March 12, 2017

The way we treat others matters

Filed under: Ideas, Reason, Stories, Thanks, Things I like — Tags: , — Scottie @ 20:54

I had someone who I really care about send me the following story.   When I read it I had tears in my eyes.   I know for a fact that the way you are treated during the day can change your mood and how you react and deal with others.  This has happened to me some years ago while dealing with the public.  I would start in a good mood, and then encounter someone who was angry or disagreeable.   Then my own mood would sour.  Often if I was in a sour mood I would encounter someone happy and upbeat and I would catch the mood and adopt it also.   Now I try to be the upbeat happy person.  I want to be the one who helps other people have a good day.   I never want to be a stumbling block that prevents anyone having a good day.  I never want to cause anyone to have a bad mood.   I never want to hurt anyone.   I have codes I live my life by, we all do.  I have no desire to ruin someone’s day, so I try to never take my pain or problems out on someone else, I try to always be positive with others, I try to help any I meet that needs assistance if I can.  I treat others with respect.   Please keep this in mind when you read the following story.   Think of the people in your life when you read it.  Be well.  Hugs

The Story of Kyle

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, “Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd.”

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on. As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him. He looked up, and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes.

My heart went out to him. So I jogged over to him, and as he crawled around looking for his glasses, I saw a tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said, “Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives.” He looked at me and said, “Hey thanks!” There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to private school before now. I would have never hung out with a private school kid before, but we talked all the way home, and I carried his books.

He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked him if he wanted to play football on Saturday with me and my friends. He said yes.

We hung out all weekend, and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him. And my friends thought the same of him. Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said, “Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!” He just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends. When we were seniors, we began to think about college. Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem. He was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation. I was so glad it wasn’t me having to get up there and speak.

On graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school. He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than me and all the girls loved him! Boy, sometimes I was jealous. Today was one of those days. I could see that he was nervous about his speech, so I smacked him on the back and said, “Hey, big guy, you’ll be great!” He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. “Thanks,” he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began. “Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach — but mostly your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story.” I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his mom wouldn’t have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile. “Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable.”

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize its depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture, you can change a person’s life.

1. Oh God, Scottie. What a powerful story. This goes to show how your actions affect others.
    Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Miss Bougie — March 13, 2017 @ 02:00

2. Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog.

Comment by The Story Reading Ape — March 13, 2017 @ 07:06

3. Very powerful story Scottie.. thanks

Comment by Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life. — March 13, 2017 @ 08:55

4. Reblogged this on Words To Captivate ~ by John Fioravanti and commented:
    Scottie tells a moving story to bring home the lesson of always striving to treat others well. You just never know…

Comment by John Fioravanti — March 13, 2017 @ 09:53

5. What a powerful story….thank you for sharing it!

Comment by Gwen Plano — March 13, 2017 @ 10:19

• Welcome. I hope more people take it to heart. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2017 @ 10:55

6. That wonderful story brought a tear to my eye too. We should never underestimate the power of kindness.

Comment by wendyunsworth — March 13, 2017 @ 10:35

7. Reblogged this on Angie Dokos.

Comment by angiedokos — March 13, 2017 @ 10:50

8. Reblogged this on Getting to Know Chuck Jackson.

Comment by Chuck — March 13, 2017 @ 11:00

9. I have heard this or a similar story before. However, it does not diminish the power of the message. For those of us who have experienced this depth of depression or have had a family member or friend contemplate and/or commit suicide this brings the message home. Yes a smile to someone, or a kind gesture can and have made a difference in some one’s life. We do not have to go overboard and believe every individual we see struggling is at this level of distraught. Yet in this story, it was. Thank you for sharing this post. Let us never forget, we do make a difference in other individual’s lives. Hugs-back.

Comment by Chuck — March 13, 2017 @ 11:51

• Hello Chuck. Well said. I find today some people just seem to ignore others while some have no empathy how their actions affect others. I am glad there are people who care, like you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2017 @ 15:10

• If you like, send me an email: cljjlk@gmail.com I just notice you are married gay man living in Florida. My husband and I live in Palm Beach County. We have been together for 33 years.

Comment by Chuck — March 13, 2017 @ 16:54

• Congratulations. That is grand. I wish the very best for you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2017 @ 17:44

• We lived in West Palm Beach for 10 years. We loved it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2017 @ 17:45

10. Reblogged this on mgshepard.

Comment by mgshepard — March 13, 2017 @ 12:09

11. I hopped over from Jan Sikes blog. That has to be one of the most amazing stories I have ever heard. I have chills!
    Thank you so much for sharing.

Comment by Mae Clair — March 13, 2017 @ 13:21

• Welcome, I hope you enjoyed my Toy Box. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2017 @ 15:07

• Delighted to connect with you, Scottie. I signed up to follow your blog and look forward to more of your posts!

Comment by Mae Clair — March 13, 2017 @ 20:16

12. Reblogged this on Kate McClelland.

Comment by Kate McClelland — March 13, 2017 @ 16:04

13. […] via The way we treat others matters — Scotties Toy Box […]

Pingback by Getting to Know Chuck Jackson — March 13, 2017 @ 17:06

14. Sometimes all it takes is a smile… I walk every day and usually pass several of the homeless in our town. Some won’t make eye contact, but I smile anyway because it opens wide my heart; and I sense good energy being shared. I also carry quarters (wish it could be more) in case any of them ask for money. Simply being present and acknowledging someone can make all the difference. Thanks so much for posting this, Scottie. Hugs xx

Comment by Tina Frisco — March 13, 2017 @ 23:27

15. This is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing.

Comment by deaththelifestory — March 14, 2017 @ 04:42

16. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented:
    A wonderful story of the power of friendship.

Comment by patriciaruthsusan — March 16, 2017 @ 05:54

• Thank you for the reblog, it is a great story to share. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 16, 2017 @ 12:38

17. In many ways, I was both “Kyle” and the narrator throughout my youth. I’ve been a mentor to teens and young adults for the last 25 years as a result. I’m also an author, blogger, speaker and facilitator — all of which spring from the idea that the choices we make throughout each day matter, and that people are not just props, background noise or means to our own ends.

The byline of both my first book and my blog is “Thoughts on living like it matters … because it does.” While we don’t always get to see the result of our positive or negative choices toward others — including our disregard, when we get so caught up in our own lives that we don’t even notice the others around us — I’ve lived intentionally long enough, and heard the stories of the “Kyles” so often over the years, that I know the difference one person can make in another’s life (to say nothing of the difference that person goes on to make in the lives of others thereafter, for good or ill).

Scottie, I’m not typically one to share my own posts as a new visitor to another person’s sight; but I’m feeling, since this story moved you right now in the way it did, that you’ll probably be OK with my sharing a few relevant posts from years past with you, all of which speak to other angles of the story you shared:

contagious

a marked man

why we do: part two

Thanks for sharing your heart through story, and I hope you find those posts an additional encouragement to continue living like it matters.

(Oh, by the way, I hopped here from Patricia’s reblog at Musings on Life & Experience.)

Comment by Erik — March 16, 2017 @ 11:30

• * site

Comment by Erik — March 16, 2017 @ 11:31

• Hello Erik. I love your comment. I thank you for spending your life helping others who are not as well centered in life. I don’t mind you sharing posts here, it is a large Toy Box and it has room for many things. If your posts help others I will be grateful. I thank Patricia for the kind reblog. I find that it is hard for people to really understand how much we affect those we meet, even if the passing was quick. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 16, 2017 @ 12:37

• Thanks for sharing the toys, Scottie. 🙂 There can never be too much kindness going around.

Comment by Erik — March 16, 2017 @ 14:02