April 12, 2017

It gets messed up doesn’t it.

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants — Tags: , — Scottie @ 13:35

I have been warned for a while now that I was running out of options on my diabetes.   The oral meds were not working.  As I have to have surgery very soon, they have to get my sugar down and under control.  My primary is not really the greatest and I have had to lean on her a bit to get things accomplished.  So Monday I had a visit with my pain care provider and got my shots.   I only got ten shots this time because even though we went lower I asked for her to start lower rather than just below the shoulder blades.  The pain care ANRP is the best.  Then Tuesday I saw my primary care.  She is a PAC.  I don’t hold that against her, she is just not really consistent at her job.   In fact I asked her if I should go to a specialist for my diabetes management, and she got a little offended.  Well the thing is I was put on injection insulin.   Now that doesn’t bother me, I have given shots, I don’t mind shots, I get a lot of them already anyway, and so giving myself a shot is not a problem.   I don’t care for the new way they do it, these pens injection devices as I have twice not gotten my full dose.  I prefer the old way of drawing it up out of a vial and such.  Well she put me on this super new pen injection insulin which has both the insulin and some other drug in it.   It is like super new, the rep is really hitting the doctors to prescribe it even though the pharmacies don’t stock it and insurance doesn’t cover it.  Which is what happened to me.  She gave me a sample to use while she sent the prescription into the pharmacy.

The pharmacy called me this morning and flat out said no way.  OK I have had that happen on several meds.  Here is where it gets to be a problem.  Most doctors offices work closely with the pharmacies, especially the one I use as it is the largest health care hospital system in the county and they use the huge pharmacy to provide all the employees and families durg needs.  It is really huge.  so like if your prescription has run out the pharmacy will call the doctor’s office for a new script for you.  Or in this case they would call the doctor’s office and say they won’t cover that script and here are the options.   This all makes it much easier for the patient.  But the primary care I have ( until I can change it ) hates the pharmacy to call them, and has actually told them not to call and often refuses to take the calls.  I have complained about it but got nowhere.

So this morning the nice lady at the pharmacy called , explained everything to me, how they wouldn’t cover it, how they would cover my insulin lantus but my copay would be $50 for three months for that and $50 for three months for something else, on top of the $50 I pay for my blood pressure meds, and some other drugs that cost me less amounts.  Not complaining because while that is tight for me, it is doable and a lot of people don’t have the insurance I do and their copays are a lot more.  I agreed to the $100 for three months added payment.  Then she said she would try to work it out with the doctors office and explained the problem.  So I am waiting for a call to be told what medications to take and how to get them.  Plus am I staying with a pen system or the old ( better I think ) system of vial and syringe.   So the thing I really need to do is get the hip surgery as soon as I can.  I am to see a different orthopedic surgeon because the first one I had such a dislike for.   My pain care giver says the one is much more suited for me and so I think it will work out.   Get that done and it is one less problem and a lot less pain.  I won’t need the wheelchair and I won’t need a new scooter.

Speaking of scooters I just found out that it takes a filled out 12 page form that takes about 2 hours to complete.  Most doctors offices won’t do it.   So I would be out of luck as they say if I needed it anyway.  Be well and happy.   Hugs

1. Sorry to hear about your problems, Scottie – Hope the new treatments work quickly and you get well again soon – Hugs 🤗

Comment by The Story Reading Ape — April 12, 2017 @ 13:53

2. Jezz – good luck to you!

Comment by houstonphotojourney — April 12, 2017 @ 13:54

3. The communication and workability of these separate factions is awful and I empathise having come across similar problems for different reasons where I am. The patient is left having to try and work out problems they shouldn’t have to, which only adds to the stress, and stress, as we know, makes pain worse, and many conditions too. I do hope that surgery comes quickly for you! Less pain and no wheelchair sounds so good.

– Esme hugging Scottie upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — April 12, 2017 @ 14:12

• Thank you Esme. I am so looking forward to rejoining life as best I can, as we all do. There are so many joys we can have just walking that for the last few years have been denied me. Life is an adventure and I want to live it that way. Ron said yesterday that I was a natural happy person, I love that and want to keep being that way. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2017 @ 14:17

4. Hope things get better friend keep the faith don’t give up on it

Comment by Cory Melancon — April 12, 2017 @ 14:15

• Thank you. I never give up, but I do get frustrated. Lucky for me I have Ron to help me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2017 @ 14:19

5. I have to say, your medical system sounds very complicated and not really “user friendly”. Terrible, all these procedures and paper work, especially when you are unwell.
    Which week is your operation scheduled?
    Sending good vibes your way, Scottie.
    Hugs from France.

Comment by Miss Bougie — April 12, 2017 @ 14:38

• Thank you for the vibes, I love them. You are correct, the system needs a huge overhaul, which greed and power are preventing. That is because the health care in this country is not about healing or helping the sick and injured, it is about money and who can profit the most. Sad really when we could do so much more. I just hope my countries greedy ways don’t infect the rest of the world where healthcare is a right of the people. I have been told the U.K. is starving their system into breaking down so they can privatise it like the US does. You get a lot worse care that way. As for my surgery I am not sure. I have to see a new surgeon as I refused the first guy I saw. He was horrible, he did not even check the part I was sent to him for. So I have to see the new one, then a cardiologist to certify my heart problems won’t kill me during surgery, and I have to get my sugar down and under control or they won’t do the surgery. But I am very motivated to get it done. Thanks again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2017 @ 14:44

6. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a good story about US health care. Unless someone had a few hundred thousand to throw at it. Terrible system. All have their problems but insurance based ones are just crap. Feel better soon and hope negotiating the system doesn’t take it out of you, well, not too much.

Comment by roughseasinthemed — April 12, 2017 @ 15:58

• Thank you. I will be OK. I am excited to have the surgery, I am looking forward to the joys of being able to do things with others that not being able to walk took away. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2017 @ 16:04

7. It’s a crime the way the cost of insulin is kept artificially high. It’s pure greed. I’m grateful that you can afford your meds. Hoping you find better health soon.

Comment by cathleentownsend — April 13, 2017 @ 00:58

• Thank you. I have to remember I am one of the luckiest ones. Despite my problems i have a great support system and access to the medical care I need. There are many not so fortunate. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 13, 2017 @ 07:15

8. To prescribe the new “it” medication for diabetes to only find that your insurance doesn’t cover it and then the doctor wont speak to the pharmacy to get it worked out in a way that best suits you is absurd!!!! My doctor won’t take calls from the pharmacy either. You have to work it out at the doctor’s office which requires another trip to the doctor only because they were trying to push a medication that is not doable. We recently spent 3 months appealing a med that the doc insisted on but our insurance would not cover that was 1000 dolllars. These doctors need to understand we are DONE with this whole process of them pushing what is pushed on them for a buck and realize we just want to get what we can afford that will keep us alive. I absolutely hate that you were put through all of that!!!! Hate it!!!!
    The scooter….My doctor told me if I filled it all out and all she had to do was sign it then she would do it. So I filled it out the best I could. The scooter is my little life saver. I love it. But you need a lift if you are going to take it anywhere unless Ron is a strong fella who can disassemble it for you like my husband does and put it in the car and reassemble when we get there.
    I’m so sorry you are dealing with the frustrations of just getting basica necessities so that you can live comfortably this is just an unacceptable part of our health care system. I hope you get the insulin you need, the scooter that you need, and the hip surgery that you need with no more glitches. Thinking of you!!!!

Comment by bethanyk — April 14, 2017 @ 11:35

• Thank you Bethany. You are so understanding, and you expressed my frustrations perfectly. You will be glad to know I go the insulin part taken care of , but the dang doctor forgot a rather important issue we were working on ( my prostate .. It seems to have stopped working properly ) So it became a mess. I got a lot of help from the pharmacy who basically told the doctor what choices they had and that if they did not deal with it they would report them to the patient help board. SO I got a call from the doctor’s office saying I would try this new insulin and then in a week I would go on another inject, so I would then have two injection medications. Anyway I am switching primary care doctors. Thanks again, you are a special person. Oh on the lift ask the deal where you got the car. Our dealer has a program where they pay up to $1000 for a lift or hitch. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 14, 2017 @ 11:51