June 8, 2017

My views on free will. 5 minute video

Filed under: Ideas, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 10:04

This video was recorded in a higher format so everything in the video is reversed.  Also in my shout out to people I admire I missed some, sorry.  I will provide links if you request.   I want everyone to know I read and learn.   I think that is important in daily life.   More videos upcoming.   If you have something you want me to address, please let me know.  Hugs

1. Fantastic video as always, i’m not quite sure if you require only serious topics for video requests but I’d find stories of your many travels enjoyable if your willing to share 🌠

Comment by Cory Melancon — June 8, 2017 @ 10:48

• Hello Cory. OF course I am willing to share. The problem is with my health issues I have forgotten much of my travels and situations. It is the details I have lost. I have vague memories of some things and often will need to be reminded of things I have done and involved with before I can remember them. For example. Ron mentioned building a display case in the new kitchen for my Tea Set I bought in East Berlin Germany and brought home. The problem was I couldn’t remember doing it, seeing it, or anything about it. It simply was part of my past that was gone from me. That is why I tend to talk about current subjects. But I will talk about the things I remember if you want. There are other travel blogs that do a better job I think on that than I can, but I try to please. Any particular travel thing you would like to hear? You know, you should do some videos about yourself as well. I love that idea. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 8, 2017 @ 11:35

• Wow what a fantastic idea I shall give it thought my friend, and yes I understand a bit more now given your situation…

I revise my request, I’d like to ask the great Scottie of food, apologies if you’ve spoken on it before, do you have a favorite dish, what dishes are unique to you area, are there foods you could eat every day, feel free to go anyway with it you like should you choose too thanks as always​ 🌠

Comment by Cory Melancon — June 8, 2017 @ 11:56

• I love the idea Cory. We all have things on food we can talk about. We can even point to each others videos and try to get others to do videos on it also. One thing picture blogs do is to have a promote word for each day to work the blog around. We could do something similar if we can get interest from others to do short food subject videos. Well done Sir. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 8, 2017 @ 12:08

2. I hear you, Scottie! I took a Philosophy course in University and I figured it was as you say – thinking about thinking. At times, I found the daily ‘lesson’ to be absolute foolishness, I must be honest. So I tend to have the same reaction as you do, to some of the topics that come up- “Does it really matter?” The thing that I took away, after a year-long course, was this: I now automatically try to see a topic from both sides (or several, as the case may be) I still hear the professor’s voice (and that was in 1987, mind you!) saying, “Take that thought to its logical conclusion” and have used that line with our kids. If for no other reason, here’s why I enjoy reading the blogs/comments of so many (including yours) – it’s always good to read what others far more intelligent than I am have to say about a topic.

Oh, and what did I take away from University ‘learning’? How much I didn’t know. And still don’t. 🙂

Comment by Carmen — June 8, 2017 @ 10:52

• Hello Carmen. A grand comment. I think knowing you are not well versed in a subject is a good thing. too many people spout off like they have the ultimate knowledge of a subject and thinking they are the last word. I know I can learn from others, so it keeps the world interesting and available. I love to learn. I also like that you are willing to look at the other parts of a discussion. SO many have their minds set in ways that they refuse to even listen. Be well hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 8, 2017 @ 11:29

3. Scottie,
    As for this whole free-will thing, I did take Philosophy and do find the debate to be somewhat interesting. However I would tend to agree with you, especially when it comes to the practical context. It also might help to remember that the classical alternative to free will is predestination, which although it can sometimes be interpreted in other ways, originates in religious doctrine, and is still fully entangled with Western religious beliefs. So if these religions have no meaning to you, there really isn’t much point to this whole debate.
    Hugs,
    Evan

Comment by Evan — June 13, 2017 @ 23:48

4. Is there contradiction in the idea of living life for a deity while still claiming free will, interested in your thoughts on it

Comment by Cory Melancon — June 30, 2017 @ 20:59

• Yes. If you go by the idea that the deity is all knowing and all powerful, that the deity has a master plan all worked out that is perfect, a deity that knows the future, then yes it has to be determined with no free will. Free will means you can change things. IF you can change things then the plan wouldn’t be perfect or set, it would constantly change as people change. That is why prayer as telling god what you want or asking for something is basically saying you want him to change his perfect plan to suite your lesser mortal wishes. So if there is a deity like that then no free will. IF there is no deity there is still the debate as to if what we do is programmed into us by evolution, which again I find silly. In order to live we have to decide what to do next. to do that we must have free will. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 30, 2017 @ 21:10