July 11, 2017

One more step

Filed under: Family, Health, Love — Scottie @ 16:42

Yesterday Ron took a call from the hospital saying they needed me to come in today and get more blood tests, a urine test, and chest X-Rays for my surgery. ¬†Pre-Opt testing. ¬† So Ron came home from working his fourth 12 hour shift in a row, got four hours sleep, and got ready to take me to the hospital. ¬† This time we took the manual wheelchair as my shoulders are really torn and not healed from trying to use the walker the last two times. ¬†I hate to complain about my shoulders though because when I look into the worn tired eyes of my 62 year old lover and realize how hard he is working, how he is taking care of me rather than get much needed sleep, how he has taken on all the things of daily home life on his shoulders. ¬† I remember¬†how he pushed me around the hospital so I wouldn’t hurt my shoulders pushing myself, I did not even ask him too. ¬†When we got home he took¬†a few minutes for himself. ¬† I was happy he did. ¬†I got him a bag of his favorite cheddar white popcorn and he sat and watched TV. ¬†Now he has gotten up and¬†is doing laundry. ¬†¬†And life goes on. ¬†One more step. ¬† Hugs

1. Well, he looked after you and is now having a smorgasbord on Smart Food (that’s what it’s called here). Life is good.
    (hope you made out OK)

Comment by Carmen — July 11, 2017 @ 16:57

• Oh yes so far. He loves that bagged popcorn. He use to like popping corn made in the microwave, but he prefers the cheese flavor that is on the store bought bags. Yes Carmen, life is good. We were talking about that today on the way to the hospital. How we were so lucky and happy to be growing old together. Ron said to me, together we will make it. He has gone to bed, I ordered some food delivered. James was going to pay for all of it, but he jsut bought a car and he is young and saving money, so I let him pay for his share and we paid for ours ( he is trying to save enough to put a down payment on a decent place next year.) My first home cost me a little over $34 K. It cost me a mortgage of about $300 a month. Kids can’t do that today. I don’t know how I would have done it with the cost of things today. But it is really good the boy wants to pay for his stuff, shows he is growing up. Well I am off to check blogs. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 11, 2017 @ 18:18

2. Hi Scottie,

Yes we both are lucky gay men. I too have a loving husband and three years ago when I went through chemo for lymphoma, he was strong, positive and supportive. Even though, I knew he was dying inside from fear. It was a long struggle, but I’m now almost three years in remission. Thank God. Good luck with your challenges and stay positive. HUGS

Comment by Chuck — July 11, 2017 @ 17:27

• Hello Chuck. Congratulations on your being in remission, that is grand. Your husband sounds wonderful. Thank you for your wishes. It is wonderful to have loving family. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 11, 2017 @ 18:10

3. I feel for you both. I don’t know how Ron does it, maybe all those years of doing his job has enabled him to sleep when he can and be fully functional until the next nap. I’m not made that way, I’m tired! Got all the birds out of the house at least, one did die but two went off with a song in their heart.

Comment by heretherebespiders — July 11, 2017 @ 18:23

• You are a great person. You saved two lives when you were up to your alligators in your own responsibilities. You had so much on your plate and yet you shone. Do not put yourself down, give yourself credit. Think of what you managed to do. Great Job! Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 11, 2017 @ 18:27

4. It is always hard on a family when someone is sick, Scottie. Ron sounds like a wonderful life partner.

Comment by robbiesinspiration — July 12, 2017 @ 00:25

• Ron really is grand. Ron surprises me sometimes with how caring and kind he is. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 12, 2017 @ 19:31

5. Hi Scottie;
    I just wanted to give you and your commenters… commentors?… credit. I was just on another blog, doing a bit of surfing before heading to the great white north, and then coming here to the toybox I was so surprised by the number of likes on this post even before I had a chance to read it. Then, I saw something so very different on your blog… it wasn’t negative like that other I’d just been to. Oh, I know, you and I have talked about this before, but I wanted to mention again just how great is the culture you have here at the toybox. It wasn’t sugar coated sweet, it was just real life find the great things in it and be positive.

I don’t know that you want to post this or not… but just wanted to let you know that I really admire what you have going on here and thank you for encouraging this. Now… off to see the ‘rents.

Hugs my brother!

Comment by Randy — July 12, 2017 @ 09:47

• ps: Give my best to Ron….. and get that man a cookie! (everything is better with cookies )

Comment by Randy — July 12, 2017 @ 09:48

• We both had doctor appointments. And we ordered a calzone type thing for him and wings for me. His sugar went sky high so starting tomorrow he has to record what he eats. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 12, 2017 @ 19:16

• Yes Randy it is true, the people who come here are the best, but not due to anything about me, I am just lucky they come here. I am lucky you come here, and you are a grand brother. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 12, 2017 @ 19:15