August 1, 2017

Sexual & Gender Ambiguity: My Once Gross Ignorance

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 12:21

Some interesting thoughts on intersex and gender. The post got me thinking if gender and sexual orientation need be fixed for an entire life, or if they are more fluid, shifting as we age of our internal needs change? For example if a person’s body chemistry changes drastically and after 30 or 40 years of feeling one way, begin to develop other feelings, wouldn’t that show a person has shifted internally. To be clear I am not saying a person is choosing their gender or sexual orientation, I simply see people change over the years. The body changes, the mind changes, understanding changes. Can not a person’s sexual needs and what gender they are change also? Hugs

Professor Taboo

In my archaic way of thinking, or perhaps as my conservative culture taught me, I thought that a boy was a boy not only by how similar he acted among me and other boys, but also because of his genitalia.  And a girl was a girl not only by how similar she acted among other girls, but because of her genitalia as well.  It all seemed pretty obvious and quite simple, so I thought for more than 30 years.

A few years ago my mother informed me of the death of a dear family friend and halfway-house mother to my sister of addiction and innumerable relapses.  She had been there for my mom and other women countless times as my sister fought her disease on the losing end.  This woman had been a pillar of hope and therapy in the community for battered, abused women, and many typically in chemical…

View original post 1,051 more words

1. Scottie, you are very kind to reblog my post. Thank you Sir. Hope it stimulates some inspiring conversation and more importantly REexaminations of “fixed” ideologies. It certainly should do so since molecular, biological, embryonic, and genetic systems do NOT work on any one system. Understanding our internal makeup and how it is certainly influenced by external factors, stimulant or deprivation, and hence they adjust/adapt. Surely we are far overdue for deeper broader knowledge and understanding, yes?

Comment by Professor Taboo — August 1, 2017 @ 12:59

• Wow, Professor that was a lot. I thank you for starting the conversation which lead me to ponder the fluidity of these things on change. You gave a great base for understanding we needed to change how we looked at it. I agree with what you wrote, ideologies have to change. Sadly some of those ideologies are the ones from people working in these groups. It is not just the against groups that have become entrenched, but the for groups have also cemented their positions. But I think I have it figured out for me to see and understand it. Gender / sexual expression / needs are like a living tree. They grow based on what they are, but also how they grow is in part determined in the conditions they grow in. During the life of a tree it will branch out in many ways and according to its nature place more roots, or grow more seed pods or function differently as is its way. But the needs of a sapling are not the same as the needs of a large tree. SO we start as seedlings / saplings and we change and grow in the environments we are in. IF we change environments we will change our growth. But as we grow into our large tree phase we don’t have the same needs nor offer the same things as a sapling would. Our sexuality / gender are not separate from us as a human. SO as the human changes so do the expression of our gender / seuality. What do you think?

Comment by Scottie — August 1, 2017 @ 13:55

• What do I think? Well Scottie, you’ve said some great things already and used a wonderful analogy of tree-growth phases. Not too much for me to add other than I completely agree with your concept and its articulation.

Regarding change-adaptation relative to our environment, it is absolutely a true and fluid symbiotic condition, from start to finish. Putting a slightly different spin on our analogies, no newborn baby is born as a racist. Racism is taught by parents/family then society. No newborn baby is born religious. Religion/faith is taught by parents/family first then community. No newborn baby is born a killer/murderer. Homocide/genocide is taught. But imagine what sort of child, adolescent, and adult would become if only the best human virtues surrounded them starting with parents! Generally speaking, genetics, embryology, endocrinology, neurology, etc, however, work within independent laws or mechanisms from human social, political, or religious paradigms; they are not the least bit discriminating. But they are very slowly, gradually influenced by environment and then our various choices in diet and moods — this is a proven scientific fact. We are and become what we consume and project. 😉

Sexuality is first determined by our DNA, genetic, biology and then throughout life enhanced and/or modified/refined as we learn more about ourselves and others. So yes, our expressions do indeed change accordingly.

Comment by Professor Taboo — August 1, 2017 @ 14:27

2. When things are outside our personal experience, they’re harder to understand. Well, that’s how it was/is for me anyway. It’s also harder being from a time when gender fluidity wasn’t really defined as clearly as it is nowadays. I’m gay, and I’ve always thought about things in a binary way. My attractions are genital centric. The last 10 years have been an exercise in education for me. I also feel more comfortable now broaching those topics with queers who are also open about their sexuality.

Comment by persedeplume — August 1, 2017 @ 14:32

• Hello Persedeplume. Grand that you have grown. So many get rooted and refuse to develop any more. I also am learning new things, developing new attitudes. I am exploring sides to myself that never came to my mind nor emotional interest. I was openly gay all my life, but I found as I got older my willingness to consider more fluidity in sexual expression came into being. I am enjoying the journey. Have fun. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 1, 2017 @ 14:50

3. Great post to link to Scottie, thank you. I’m slow ate getting round to everyone, so it’s really useful when the cream of the crop is linked to from one of my bloggers to another.

– Esme hugging Scottie upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — August 3, 2017 @ 10:20

• Thank you Esme. I am always amazed at the quality of the posts done by our friends. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 3, 2017 @ 13:17