August 3, 2017

Bone doc says….. No

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 14:50

I had hoped at least the doc would let me go to using my canes.  Not so.  he did agree to go to 50 percent weight bearing on that hip.   He took X-rays of both hips.  The old one looks OK, but is an inferior implant compared to the new kind they used in my new hip.   The new hip is spot on and seems to be healing well.   He is afraid for me to put too much weight on the leg / hip because he doesn’t want the shaft of the implant to be forced down any into the leg bone.   It is good now, so better to let it heal even if it is slower on me, than to chance a mistake that will mess things up even a little.   OK I give.  I have three weeks to go he said then I can get rid of the walker and go to using the canes.    OK now off to blogs.   Hugs

1. That’s good news! Do as you are told! Hahahaha, keep your chin up dear Scottie, it isn’t easy, but you do so well.

– Esme hugging him upon the Cloud

Comment by Esme upon the Cloud — August 3, 2017 @ 15:10

• Thank you. It will not be long, even if it sometimes seems like it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 3, 2017 @ 15:11

2. Sounds like a plan! Now behave and do what the doc orders.

Comment by Arkenaten — August 3, 2017 @ 17:11

• Me, do what I am told ??? Oh if I must, as I can’t hobble fast enough to run away. 🙂 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 3, 2017 @ 17:50

• Huey Lewis sang it’s ”Hip to be Square.” He sand nothing about ”Having a Square Hip”.
        If you don’t take it easy, that’s what it will likely feel like!

Comment by Arkenaten — August 3, 2017 @ 17:53

3. Oh, Scottie. So glad to hear that your hip is healing – hurray! (I just had to do it) Now I’ll have that song (above) stuck in my head all night. Thanks a heap, Huey. . .err. . Ark. . 🙂

Comment by Carmen — August 3, 2017 @ 19:19

4. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey. While you’re using a walker though do beware anyone fitting castors to it – that’s generally how inheritance works in my family. Out of bed, slippers on and then down the stairs like a rocket, usually, to rest in peace. Take your time. 🙂

Comment by Ian Hutson — August 4, 2017 @ 02:08

• Wow, and I thought our son was a bit rude talking about which one of us he has to bump off first. He is afraid that if Ron dies before I do I will spend all the money. He knows Ron wont. So he says I have to go first. 🙂 Thanks for the advice. I am so eager to get walking again. No one likes to clean house and I can’t stand messes. SO they got off lucky when I could walk, now no one wants to do the clean up and I can’t. Like living in a frat house. 🙂 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 4, 2017 @ 08:54

5. I am so happy to hear you are healing. 3 more weeks. I just pray it flies by for you!!! Hugs and love to you and hope for a fast healing so you can use those canes.
    How about the exhaustion? Are you still having that?

Comment by bethanyk — August 4, 2017 @ 23:33

• Hello Bethany. How are you doing? I hope all is well. Yes I am still struggling. They gave me some stuff to help me build the blood I need. The took me off the blood thinners early. I don’t see the endo person for three weeks or more so the primary said to take vitamins for a while. But the good news is some of my pain from the two damaged bones is gone now. That is great news. I just have to build my body up enough to start walking with 50 %. My shoulders have healed mostly from the tearing they got at the hospital, and my other artificial hip is OK for now despite the strain. So things are looking up. There is light around the corner I hope. Thanks again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 5, 2017 @ 13:42

• I have been wondering if you were anemic. My ferritin(iron storage) was so low I needed an iron infusion.
        I hope they have figured out how to boost your blood up so you can have more energy and strength.
        Sounds like things ARE looking up for you! With the pain in the two damaged bones gone.your shoulders healing! You have a lot on the positive check list. I know you must be frustrated though having to not be able to be up and walking around like you’d like. Hopefully this rest and healing is just what you need and in a few weeks you will be up and about. Just the fact that you have less pain is such great news.
        I’m sorry you are still struggling. But things are looking up. Hugs

Comment by bethanyk — August 5, 2017 @ 14:11

• I am glad you got the infusion you need. Iron is a weird thing in the body. We need it , have to have it, yet too much causes all sorts of problems. They don’t want to do too much until I see the endo. They had to adjust this stuff so I could heal the leg bone enough and start to knit the muscles that were cut. Thanks again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 5, 2017 @ 14:23

• Oh you are absolutely right!!!!
        They gave me the infusion and i became toxic with iron. Had to then get phlebotomist to remove a pint of blood! It was crazy. Too low and I could not move. Too high and I could not move. Finally it is at a balance.
        I think it is very wise to see the endo and get an opinion there.

Comment by bethanyk — August 5, 2017 @ 14:29

• Yes, Ron has hemochromatosis, which is too much iron in his blood. He has to give blood a lot, but of course they can’t use it with that much iron. I am a bit worried about the endo doc appointment. One M.D. went back and started putting stuff together, the different symptoms I was having, and he thinks it is tumors on the thyroid. Or Parathyroid disease. Either way I am nervous, but will be glad is they finally find an answer to all this. Then we can work on getting stronger and better. I do hope your daughter is well? I know I have not been to the blogs much and I want to get to yours today if I can. Do let me know how you and the family are doing. I care. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 5, 2017 @ 14:37

• Have they checked your parathyroid levels? PTH? BECAUSE seeing as I have had every darn thing on the planet….I had hyperparathyroidism. So my parathyroid went haywire! It was because my vitamin D was too low. After getting scans of my parathyroid, and more scans, and more scans. All was normal. It was low vit d that kept fluctuating and as the vit d was low the PTH was high and then it robbed my bones of calcium and then affected my bones.
        So hopefully they will jump on top of that and it will be an easy fix. I can tell you when my PTH is high I am wiped out!
        Don’t worry about my blog. It is just a lot of rambling 🙂 . Things are a struggle. Hard with her. Hard with me. When a person has a plethora of disorders they are just plain and simple hard to manage! But I am trying to stay positive as I can and live each day to the fullest.

Comment by bethanyk — August 5, 2017 @ 14:43

• Yes they ordered the test and the vit d test. I have almost all of the things on the parathyroid symptoms list.

Loss of energy. Don’t feel like doing much. Tired all the time. Chronic fatigue. (#1 symptom)
        Just don’t feel well; don’t quite feel normal. Hard to explain but just feel kind of bad.
        Feel old. Don’t have the interest in things that you used to.
        Can’t concentrate, or can’t keep your concentration like in the past.
        Depression. (blog)
        Osteoporosis and Osteopenia.
        Bones hurt; typically it’s bones in the legs and arms but can be most bones.
        Don’t sleep like you used to. Wake up in middle of night. Trouble getting to sleep.
        Tired during the day and frequently feel like you want a nap (but naps don’t help).
        Spouse claims you are more irritable and harder to get along with (cranky, bitchy). (blog)
        Forget simple things that you used to remember very easily (worsening memory).
        Gastric acid reflux; heartburn; GERD. (blog)
        Decrease in sex drive. (blog)
        Thinning hair (predominately in middle aged females on the front part of the scalp).
        Kidney Stones (and eventually kidney failure). (blog)
        High Blood Pressure (sometimes mild, sometimes quite severe; up and down a lot).
        Recurrent Headaches (usually patients under the age of 40).
        Heart Palpitations (arrhythmias). Typically atrial arrhythmias. (blog)
        Atrial Fibrillation (rapid heart rate, often requiring blood thinners and pacemakers). (blog)
        High liver function tests (liver blood tests).
        Development of MGUS and abnormal blood protein levels.

That is where they are headed. Not sure what they will find. I am glad to hear that just because you have the symptoms you don’t always have the tumors. Maybe I will get lucky, and they can adjust my hormones and I will be fine and can get back to life. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 5, 2017 @ 14:48

• Literally same symptoms!!not kidney failure though. But heart palpitations, forgetfulness, irritable, tired but naps don’t help, osteoporosis. Depression.
        Many of your symptoms. And it was just high pth robbing my body of the calcium. I’m actually still pissed about it because had they checked this right away it would have prevented my bones from getting this bad. Good news is they can give prescription vitamin D and reverse it all. AND 99% of parathyroid tumors. If that is what it is. Are benign. I was told at the mayo clinic that if i had a parathyroid tumor not to worry bc it was mostly likely benign but can cause a world of trouble until it is removed.
        So I am hoping they find the answer for you!

Comment by bethanyk — August 5, 2017 @ 14:52

• Thank you Bethany that is very reassuring. I hope it goes so well. Can they build your system up now that they know? I hope so. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 5, 2017 @ 14:54

6. Happy to hear such good news as far as your healings going, all in time good friend until a bit of relaxing is never really a bad thing

Comment by Cory Melancon — August 5, 2017 @ 20:45

• True, and then on to the next adventure. I will tell you more about it as the data comes in. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 5, 2017 @ 20:47

7. I’m behind – no comment here as I’m playing catch up!

Comment by heretherebespiders — August 9, 2017 @ 16:30

• No problem, It is not a big thing, you already know the important stuff and you have a lot going on. You have a life and that is grand! I think you are great. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 9, 2017 @ 17:24