August 23, 2017

I agree. Free speech must be free for speech we hate as well as for speech we like. Otherwise we have no free speech for anyone.

Filed under: Bigotry, Ideas, meme, News, Reason, Things I like — Scottie @ 21:35

1. If Hitler were around now and inflaming everyone with his speech about blaming the Jews for everything I’d want to see his speech stopped before the killing of Jews and destruction of their property began. I think even free speech should have it’s limits so that nothing liable to incite violence towards others or raise Racial hatred which results in violence, nor raising hatred of those whose sexual preference is different, can be tolerated. It’s one thing to say I don’t like………… but quite another to suggest they should all be killed when making a speech to others who might accept your words as a wish to be carried out. We know how bad it can get with Hitler in charge and hopefully wouldn’t want that again so I think the time has come to set limits to free speech.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — August 23, 2017 @ 23:22

• Hello David. I understand your point, but it is not needed, at least in the US. We have laws against inciting to violence. In fact the PResident has a court case going on about the fact he is accused of inciting to cause violence. It is illegal to do, regardless of free speech laws. As someone once said your right to swing your arm ends at my nose. You have no right to try to get others to do illegal acts. Thanks for the comment, Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 24, 2017 @ 01:01

2. The problem is that hatemongers think “free speech” means that they have the right to say whatever they want without facing social consequences, somehow completely blind to the fact that this means limiting the free speech of their critics.

Comment by D.T. Nova — August 24, 2017 @ 12:18

• Yes, and I find that they also think actions and privileges come with that free speech. They are wrong, but if every time someone starts spouting off offencive stuff people don’t like it turns in to a brawl, we all lose. I am just stunned at the numbers of bigots and racists in the population. I hope there is more noise than people but still it makes me shutter. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 24, 2017 @ 16:49

3. That’s the way yes it has to be free like it or otherwise, I wonder sometimes would we as humans get to a point where we’d become complacent if there not be someone to push or to spark an idea, there can’t be one way and in a lot of ways it’s a good thing in regards to free speech

Comment by Cory Melancon — August 24, 2017 @ 15:27

• It is far easier to show how wrong an idea or action is if you hear them out first. It also sparks Ideas as you say if you are not familiar with the subject. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 24, 2017 @ 16:44

4. That ladies thoughts of course brought the USA trump as President! – cause for normal people it is just too convenient to believe in lies, if they promise them anything the wish (Wishful thinking)

Comment by miles — August 25, 2017 @ 10:54

• Hello Miles. It is great to hear from you. I realize that tRump and his ilk lie and distort the truth ,and yes tRump used that to get elected. That said people must be able to speak their minds and voice their opinions, even the ones we don’t like. Because if you start to censor one , then someday someone will want to censor yours. Be well and write in more often. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 25, 2017 @ 11:03