September 25, 2017

Conservative Christian Men’s Weird Sexual Addiction

Filed under: Greed, Reason, Religion, Sex — Scottie @ 15:54

I was having a conversation with a theist named Mel on his blog here https://melwild.wordpress.com/2017/08/18/atheist-puts-the-smackdown-on-richard-carrier/ and sort of out of the blue Mel dismissed a well known atheist speaker because of the persons legal consensual sexual activities.    The fact that the person is not following the sexual morals lauded by Mel seemed to negate the persons arguments and his worth to Mel.   That angered me.  I responded and then asked some friends what their opinion was.   Victoria sent me a link to this grand post.  Thank you Victoria.  Hugs

There are three words guaranteed to strike fear in the hearts of most Conservative Christians—especially the men: Sex, Sexuality, Gender. Any one of these subjects, whether spoken of explicitly or peripherally, is sure to induce panic attacks and leave Bible Belt Jesus dudes breaking out in a cold sweat, turning fifty shades of red, and sprinting for the nearest… Continue Reading Conservative Christian Men’s Weird Sexual Addiction

Source: Conservative Christian Men’s Weird Sexual Addiction

1. Yup, Scottie. Weirdos.
    I sometimes comment on a blog called “Spiritual Sounding Board”. Julie Anne has been blogging for quite a few years and hers was one of the first blogs I found when I went in search of interesting blogs a number of years ago. It should come as no surprise to many that her most viewed blog post is (I can’t remember the title now) something to do with Christian Wife-Spanking. Yes, really. Bunch of fucking wankers, I’m telling you. 😦

Comment by Carmen — September 25, 2017 @ 16:07

• Hello Carmen. I get bothered by the subject when people like Mel act as he did because for so much of my life they treated me and my sexual orientation with that same contempt and dismissal. To just dismiss what Carrier’s points were with a sneer because he is Poly, and for no other reason, was to dismiss me and my thoughts because I am gay. So I had to respond. Mel has not answered me back. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 16:11

2. Hi Scottie;
    I read both articles and I also read your comments. I really did enjoy the article Victoria sent to you.
    One of the problems I have with organized religion is that all too often it seems to fail at the very core of its’ tenent. Example: if you hear someone who is the typical right wing slant speak on Muslim, they will mention Sharia law at least once. At least. Especially this idea that if you are not Muslim you are infidel and up for beheading. They will converse this with Jesus saying “Love thy neighbor” and yet talk in terms of hatred towards Muslims, Mexicans, DACA recipients, Democrats – especially Clinton and Obama, and even PBS. It’s an odd dichotomy, a dualism that seems perfectly acceptable.
    Another thing, of course, sexual morality. I know people who have no problem enjoying the music of Christian singers who have cheated on their spouse and divorced, remarried, but will condemn to hell someone who is gay, in a loving, stable, monogamous relationship who have done absolutely no real wrong outside exist outside the heterosexual world. Adultery and all the cheating, lying, deceptions, etc. that go with it all are clearly spoken of in the Bible, being in a loving homosexual relationship…. not really. I wonder which God thought more an issue?
    I miss the days of WWJD, because at least then people would consider the core tenant of their faith in response to an issue rather than what some hack behind a pulpit thumping for dollars has to say. Religion and Philosophy are closely related topics, but the difference is that in philosophy if an argument doesn’t meet your philosophy you have to either disprove the argument or change your philosophy. In religion if the argument doesn’t fit your religion the argument is declared heretic and banished to hell – or the person making the argument. I think this is what you are up against with this person.
    In my studies of the Bible I’ve come to one very poignant lesson: There is more to the cosmos that I can imagine be there much less understand. The moment I declare it understood, the moment I put rules on it and limit that whatever greatness that is beyond me is the moment I declare it smaller than myself. It’s a lesson I keep bashing into, usually quite painfully, and I think the difference between a seeker of truth and a preacher thumping control.

Hugs, my brother;
    randy

Comment by Randy — September 25, 2017 @ 17:08

• You are grand Randy. I have always respected your wit and your ability to reason. Simply put, you are really smart my brother. Have a great night. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 18:50

• VERY well put, Randy!!

Comment by Nan — September 25, 2017 @ 18:59

• Randy really is a great guy isn’t he. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 19:00

3. I hope you’re not holding your breath waiting for a diplomatic reply, Scottie! 🙂

Comment by carmen — September 25, 2017 @ 18:08

• I had hoped. Silly of me? I keep seeing what Mel does, and reading what he says and I guess I have not learned my lesson. I am rather slow. Oh well I wish the best for him, he has to live with his narrow views, I have an entire universe to explore. Thanks Carmen, you are grand. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 18:52

4. Speaking of Mel … I was quite sure I clicked “Follow” on his blog but haven’t received anything for a long while. Can people be “unfollowed” as well as banned? Hmmmm.

Comment by Nan — September 25, 2017 @ 19:01

• I have heard that WordPress has un-followed people from blogs, and the people stopped getting updates. They had to go back to the blogs and re-follow. That is a real pain, lucky for me it has not happened to me yet. Hope this helps. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 19:03

• Now that we know you can stop someone from following you, do you think that is what happened? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 19:12

• Since we’re on the walk of shame here, Scottie, I confess to having been ‘dropped’ from a blog. Not only that, but he took every single comment I had made off, too! (And they weren’t all snark, I promise!). The party pooper.

Comment by carmen — September 25, 2017 @ 19:15

• Really? why would any one not want you commenting. even if you are on the other side of the debate you are fun and smart. Those who did that are the losers. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 19:17

5. Yes, Nan – you can drop people from your blog site. I don’t get many subscribers for my blog (which is fine) but if someone does stumble onto it, I always check out their site. If it only has pictures of food or animals, with no comments or any ‘About’ information, I delete them. It’s a relatively new feature – check your stats.

Comment by carmen — September 25, 2017 @ 19:07

• Wow thanks Carmen, I did not know that. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 19:08

• Well, I just “followed” him (again?) so we’ll see what happens. I kinda’ think I may have just thought I followed him (rather than him dropping me) since I’ve never gotten as “close to the bone” as certain people have (no need to name names) — meaning I’ve never really given him a reason to cut me off. But then one never knows what goes on in the minds of believers, n’est pas?

Comment by Nan — September 25, 2017 @ 19:16

• Agreed. As I said to Carmen it is their loss if they were to un-follow you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2017 @ 19:18

6. Ha! This is why I throw myself into media that presents a variety of views on gender and sexuality like Wentworth, OITNB, Transparent and Chewing Gum. I’ve got to cleanse myself of four decades of puritan thinking/living!

Comment by Charity Burke — September 25, 2017 @ 21:47

7. Scottie,

You are a trooper for humanity. Bravo Sir, BRAVO!!! ❤

If I may share with you a personal experience, actually several over the years I was inside Evangy-Fundy-Reformed Theology church ministries in the U.S., particularly in Mississippi and Texas. Naturally, this can technically be considered an "isolated exception" to the norm of mainstream American Christianity. Or is it? I'll leave to polls, surveys, and others to decide.

In an attempt to make a long story short and spare all of you people of the dirty steamy details 😛 …while I was at seminary in Mississippi, I had no less than three women (strongly?) make sexual advances to me implying explicit fornification ideas. But it wasn't just me and these three, it was also actively going on with OTHER unmarried students of both genders — technically & genetically I SHOULD say with all various genders! But that's a whole nother blog-post, right? 😉 — and of course, I was quite puzzled as to WHY this was a hush-hush topic around campus and at churches. Later, after I had moved back to Texas in 1996, then married my two kid's mother (who divorced me in 2002), and being a missionary/minister’s daughter (my ex-wife) she was a big-time Fundy-Evangy and loved her non-denominational charismatic church she was a member to… and persuaded me to attend in order to “try” marital counseling. Those 3-years I was at that mega-church — as a non-Christian — no less than two female staff members, one of them married, also made explicit advances to me. One of the church staffers divulged to me that SHE knew of a few different “sexual affairs” going on between both staff and congregation members, some married, some divorced, some simply there to meet & socialize in order to get married!!! LOL 🤣

My point is — and the Catholic Church can vouch for me on this one — sexual promiscuity runs more rampant within Fundy-Evangy churches or pretty much ANY Christian denomination than the same people will EVER admit to! To me, it is simply the thrill of not getting caught and possibly getting caught — which is a rather natural component of human nature actually — that excites these Fundy-Evangy Xians. That’s the secret closets and hypocrisy of hardcore Xians, IMPO and years of experience inside that social scene. Hahahaha.

Comment by Professor Taboo — September 26, 2017 @ 10:52

• Great comment Professor. That could be a motivation for sure. One thing I noticed in church boarding school was this weird disconnect between what was being enforced for others, and what the enforcers felt they should be able to do. It is like those politicians who stump speech against abortion, then say it is OK for their family. Bristol Palin preaching abstinence while having non married underage sex and getting pregnant several times. In one of the southern states there is a scandal right now because a right wing republican raising star against gays and same sex, has been arrested for having known open sexual trysts with underage 15-16- year old teen BOYS. Now I am not a prude and if 15 year olds want sex, they are going to have it. i was 15, I remember what it was I was feeling. However this was not just teens feeling their oats and getting itches scratched, he was paying them a lot of money and things, so that it seems they were doing it for money, not fun. That is where I draw the line. There is so wrong with these people who feel they are entitled to what they insist others may not dare have. Lots of love, I got up really late so here is to more coffee and more online time. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 26, 2017 @ 12:21

• Ahhh, now Scottie, don’t go jumpin’ to conclusions! These are “isolated” incidents, not the “norm” of fine upstanding Christians as a whole! Ignore or at least look away as the (actual) numbers of incidents rise or stay the same. Watch your tongue wise man with tons of firsthand experience with and about hypocrites. 😉 😛

Comment by Professor Taboo — September 26, 2017 @ 12:46