October 3, 2017

Just back from the doc for those wondering

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants, News — Scottie @ 18:16

Hello All.  Welcome to my Toy Box.   Pull up a piece of internet and let me tell you the good news.  As many might know I have a series of conditions that make my life a bit of a challenge.   Bone, muscle, circulatory system , and nerves have all been issues.  Also a bit of having my own immune system take a few lashes out of me.  In a couple weeks I have an appointment with a endocrinologist as now they think some of the other problems like my hormones being way off, by body not using the needed vitamins and minerals, and my horrible being tired all the time, are caused by my having Parathyroid.    Oh well add it to the growing list.   However it does keep life reminding me how lucky I am to have good health coverage even if it is costing more every year.

The good news is I got to see my old provider, who I have not seen since May.   I have had my surgery, and was well on the way to getting stronger when two things set me back.  First I was seen by a healthcare provider I see occasionally and we agreed to cut the meds I was on to see if I could do with less.   Unfortunately we cut to far to fast.   When I tried to reach him as I normally do when the meds go wrong, I was blocked by a low level office staff because I seen my provider of 9 years in a different office.  The office was in the hospital and the staff follow different rules.  This staff member never checked either my providers, jsut took it on herself to claim I was new and only seen once.   So she refused to pass my needs on to the doctors.   I was angry as this was happening during the Hurricane Irma.  So I was set back, no more walking, no doing house hold chores, no more going out.  I was back to limping.

Today I got it all straightened out and we are back on a plan to move forward.   I showed the email response from the low level office worker and my doctor got angry also.   She kept the print out and gave me her personal private cell should it ever happen again.   I have a feeling there is an office staff member who is going to get a serious talking to.   I need to have another M.R.I as my provider thinks there is more damage to my spine.  I also asked if physical therapy on my back would help?  The answer was maybe but if done correctly with in the bounds of my bone problems it won’t hurt.  So I have a request for that.   My medications got returned to the prior level that worked for me, with the idea I would manage them to try to use only what I needed and to bring the usage down if possible.   Lastly my health provider sees a way for me to get strong enough to return to the work force in the job I hope to get trained for.   SO I am on cloud nine. ( sorry Esme, I will try not to bump your cloud in my happiness )

See for me it is not about just making my life comfortable.  My doctors could do that.  But that is not living for me.   I want to be out there in the world.  I want to go on trips with out having to lay down or not do things.  I want to work, yes work, because I really enjoy it and I like earning a wage for my effort.  I want to do at least my share of the house work, if not more, as it is wrong for Ron who is older than me , to have to wait on my hand and foot and do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, driving, shopping, clean the cat litter box, and everything else he does with no complaint.  So yes I am happy.     Tomorrow I see my Hip Surgeon, and hopefully can start on my plan.  Wish me luck, I am going to need it.  My very best wishes for everyone.  I do care.  Be well.  Hugs

1. Scottie,
    Oh man, I feel for you sir.
    The poor excuse we have in the US of A for health care is deplorable, and that is being overly kind.
    Back problems? Ouch! Been there and still there. I had major back surgery in 1994 and have chronic back pain, mostly from spinal stenosis. At least my old tens unit gives me some relief from the pain. Now, if I could just take some arthritis meds. Oh, wait, no can do, gave me a nasty ulcer three years ago. What fun that was, spent xmas and my Birthday in the hospital. It is cleared up now, so one bit of good news health wise.
    Good that you and your doctor have things figured out and best wishes from me for your future improved health. This world needs good people like you, so stay with us Scottie.

Comment by davidambrose66 — October 3, 2017 @ 18:28

• Thank you David. I am sorry you can’t take the Ibuprofen for your arthritis. I take three 800 MG tabs a day for it. Yes they are are hard on the stomach. You are correct about our healthcare system. I am very lucky, but was notified just this morning Ron and my medication costs are going to go up ten dollars a prescription and refill. On top of what we pay. So that is like a 200 dollar more wage cut, on top of the increases in costs already. That is one reason I am trying to reduce my medications. Please take care also, we need you in the world as well.
      Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 3, 2017 @ 18:37

2. Scottie, I had no idea about your medical issues. I like your attitude and perseverance. Keep you chin up. In my world prayer is a vital part of recovery. Please accept my prayers for you as an indication that I care….nothing more. Big, big hug to you.

Comment by larrypaulbrown — October 3, 2017 @ 18:35

• Hello Larry. I accept the prayers. Also a chat and a nice afternoon with your company. I do have serious issues, have all my life. But I also have tried all my life to over come them. Some people think I am nuts to push so hard, but it is not life if you are stuck at home and don’t have to be. When I was in the wheelchair ( 2 1/2 years ) they said jsut accept it. I learned to walk again. Because I missed walking along the waterway in west palm beach with Ron. Yes I had a scooter but it was not the same. Missed bike riding with him. I need to have my doctor sign off o it but I want to get a bike to ride again. The worry is I might fall off and break a bone. But everyone takes that worry I say. I will just have to be careful not to fall off. 😄😃 life is an adventure. I want to slide down the water slides, and go to the grocery store. I want to walk around Busch Gardens like we use to do and just gawk at things and people. I want Ron not to have to worry about pre-making meals for me when he works. Life is there, it is just a little out of my reach , so I just need to stretch a bit more to grab it. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 3, 2017 @ 18:45

3. It’s really good to read that things are looking up health-wise! Methinks your positive attitude and deep desire to get back to a somewhat “normal” way of living probably help more than any medication can.

You mentioned parathyroid. I recently had to see a endocrinologist about this myself. I was told it was because I had too many calcium in my system. Since I had been taking calcium supplements, she told me to get off of them immediately! Fortunately, on my last visit, the blood tests showed calcium level was pretty much where it should be. 🙂

Do you take Vitamin D supplements?

Comment by Nan — October 3, 2017 @ 19:20

• I was told to take a multi vitamin because of my low bone density and lack of other things I was to have. I do have high calcium also, because my body is refusing to use it for some reason. One reason my primary is sending me to the endo doc, because the blood tests came back all messed up. They did two tests on my testosterone because the test came back at 47. It was so low as to almost not be found. So you don’t have Parathyroid? That is good. I am worried about it. The biggest thing right now for me is the total lack of energy. I am so tired all the time I don’t want to do anything. Except sleep. Thanks for the information Nan. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 3, 2017 @ 19:33

• Apparently discontinuing the calcium supplements got my calcium level under control. From what I was told, the parathyroid gland may sometimes have to be removed but it’s not a major surgery and once it’s gone, the problem is gone. But if course removal is a last option. The main thing is to monitor calcium levels.

Anyway, keep us posted. We care about you. ❤️

Comment by Nan — October 3, 2017 @ 21:54

• Thank you Nan. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 3, 2017 @ 21:58

• I bet I know EXACTLY what type of “stimulants” you require Scottie to get that energy level back up thru the roof and into Esme’s clouds! 😈 😄

Comment by Professor Taboo — October 4, 2017 @ 07:15

• 😄😃😛😝😜😋😘 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 4, 2017 @ 08:12

4. Sorry to hear about that Scootie. Health is definitely THE major issue. And when you run into bureaucrats, all the worse. (Just screwed up my entire July in Paris because of both health and bureaucracy…)
    The key is definitely to have a good “Family” doctor (if they still have them) to care for essentials and orient you to the right specialist when need be
    Best of luck my friend. (Keep fighting!)
    Hug
    Brian

Comment by equinoxio21 — October 3, 2017 @ 19:44

• Sorry about your trip to Paris. You said it so well, it is very important for you and your provider to know and understand each other. When my long time provider moved to a different building in the same group, I saw the lead doctor in the group. I knew him and liked him, but he did not know the plan we were working on and messed me up. Not deliberately , but he did not know the details and thought he was helping. SO this time I got back to my full time provider and she got the plan going again. She is good and she cares about you as a person. So she looks at how your health is affecting you at home, and stuff like that. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 3, 2017 @ 19:51

• Glad you’re back with her. One needs a good Doctor… Get well.

Comment by equinoxio21 — October 4, 2017 @ 14:42

5. Good luck with everything Scottie, may you get your wishes granted and may your condition improve.
    Huge Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — October 3, 2017 @ 20:10

6. Very good to read this, Scottie. Attitude is the best medicine, it really is. Your blog demonstrates that too. Every so often I take credit for being the “Ron” in our household here. Lisa can also write a very long set of books about fighting her way through the obstacles in her path with astounding tenacity. Being a caregiver who is also the older one? That’s me too. I love doing that list of chores, as well. So please give one of those many hugs you share to Ron from us 🙂

Comment by Bill Ziegler — October 3, 2017 @ 20:44

• Hello Bill. Thanks for the comment. The world needs caring wonderful people like your self and Ron. I will give him a hug and tell him you thought of him. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 3, 2017 @ 21:15

• Lisa and I have also been a couple for 24 years — about the same amount of time as you guys 🙂

Comment by Bill Ziegler — October 3, 2017 @ 21:26

• That is grand! I love hearing about long term couples. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 3, 2017 @ 21:29

7. I do understand your need to work and take part in living, Scottie. Ron is a wonderful man and you are most lucky to have him. I am praying for you my friend.

Comment by robbiesinspiration — October 4, 2017 @ 00:11

8. So they checked your parathyroid and it was elevated? And this caused the osteoporosis? And did they check your vitamin d to see if that was the cause of the parathyroid. What will they do next about the parathyroid? Scan?
    I have been through the entire parathyroid issues and that is why I ask.

Comment by bethanyk — October 4, 2017 @ 00:34

• Not yet, that appointment is on the 19th. This appointment was with my pain control provider, who doubles as my over all bone and muscle doc. She is the one who found my fractured hip. She sent me to the orthopedic surgeon when my hip collapsed. I hope they can do something that will lift this horrible fatigue. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 4, 2017 @ 05:39

• When I had high PTH I was exhausted. I also had low vit d and it really affected my bones. Everything combined wiped me out.
        Have they checked your ferritin aka iron storage. That was affected on me too all affecting my exhaustion. Not projecting onto you my stuff just hoping they are covering everything. Thinking of you. Hugs to you. So so so sorry you are having this fatigue!

Comment by bethanyk — October 4, 2017 @ 08:40

• Hello Bethany, they checked some stuff and then my primary decided it was out of his area, so he sent me to the endocrinologist but it took 3 months to get to see him. so I will find out what is going on after seeing him and he does his tests. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 4, 2017 @ 09:48

• yikes 3 months!!!

Comment by bethanyk — October 4, 2017 @ 23:06

• It is coming up soon. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 5, 2017 @ 11:22

9. Good luck for your future health. It would be great if you can return to the work force. I was once 10 years at home, not through illness, but bringing up the kids (4 of them) and was so glad to return to the working world again. It has a positive influence on yur health.

Comment by angloswiss — October 4, 2017 @ 00:55

10. I am happy your meds were returned to a better level/dosage and I am particularly happy with your OUTSTANDING attitude and outlook! 😁 And don’t forget to find some humor and laughing somewhere too! I find that coming up with a wacky random joke about circumstances usually puts “life” in pretty good perspective! ❤ 😉

Please keep us posted on developments, good or not good and all in between, ok!?

Comment by Professor Taboo — October 4, 2017 @ 07:11

11. So glad to see you never let anything stop you, it’s beyond inspiring let’s me know that anything is truly possible if you want it

Comment by Cory Melancon — October 5, 2017 @ 13:36

• Well….I have not learned to fly yet, but I agree. It is the wanting that helps me. I want to be able to do the things other people do without even thinking on it. So I push my self to try and do it. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 5, 2017 @ 14:16