October 6, 2017

Like a teenager asking to borrow the family car.

Filed under: Health, Love, My Life and Rants, News — Scottie @ 14:36

Yes, Yes, Yes……  Oh hello there.  Sorry I am excited.    Really it is a great step in my recovery.   Let me start from the beginning rather than at the end, it will be easier to follow that way.

it starts on Wednesday morning.  I am still using a cane when I am tired or walking any distance.  I had a new cane that Ron was going to shorten to work for me.  He took it to our shed where his tools live.  He returned very quickly in rotten humor saying turn off the circuit breaker for the water heater  and he rushed back out the door.   Well after doing my task I let curiosity get the better of me and followed him.  Turns out our water heater tank had developed a rather disturbing rupture.  So long story short, Ron who was to work that night, instead took a PTO day and installed a grand new water heater.    That evening tired and sore he went to bed.

Thursday he couldn’t sleep as he has slept the night before.  Ron went through the scripts I got Tuesday.   HE found four scripts with the wrong dates.  I called and they said bring them in on Friday and they would fix them.   He went to work and did a 12 hour shift in the Open Heart ICU and that is very hard work for him.  He came home really tired out.

I was worried how tired he was.  I told him I would drive over to the hospital to get the scripts fixed.   He wanted me to let him get a couple hours sleep and he would take me.  I convinced him the med changes had already made me feel better.   I felt I could do it.  I could drive there and back with out a problem.   He was so tired he relented and like a super happy teenager I drove my self to get the scripts fixed and then to the pharmacy to get them filled.    I was even feeling up to driving to back to pick them up.   Yes, it is great.  I was for a little while an independent person again.   I admit I am tired and sore now but that is to be expected.   Yes I am excited as this is a step for what I am working hard for in the future, being able to do normal things and even go to school and then work.    Thanks for reading, I need to go look at email and blogs.   Hugs to all.   Scottie

1. Love this fantastic news friend I can feel your positive energy, so happy you had an enjoyable experience it’s only the first of many coming your way

Comment by Cory Melancon — October 6, 2017 @ 14:54

2. ❤ !!

Comment by Nan — October 6, 2017 @ 14:57

3. I am pleased for you!

Comment by thespiritkeeper — October 6, 2017 @ 15:03

4. As I’ve mentioned before, I am the older of the Lisa and me team and have been the caregiver since Lisa’s disaster of a surgery in 2004. As coincidence has it, Lisa and her sister are on a round of shopping : just the two of them, first time in about a month. Anyway, the point is that recovery does not follow a set schedule. It’s great to connect with fellow pilgrims. Really enjoyed reading this account 🙂

Comment by Bill Ziegler — October 6, 2017 @ 15:56

• Thank you. I know to some what I wrote will not seem like much to get excited about. However for me while it is baby steps, it is a hope for more in progress. Best wishes for you and Lisa. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 6, 2017 @ 16:05

5. A good day. 🙂

Comment by equinoxio21 — October 6, 2017 @ 19:51

6. Scottie,
    Excellent news sir. SO very happy for you. Having gone through a major back surgery in 1994, I agree with Bill above,recovery does NOT go according to any set program. You will recover at YOUR own pace. Oh, you most likely will have bad days/ set backs, do not let that get you down. It can be a long, slow process and you have great support at home. Extra big hugs for Ron and you.

Comment by Walter Kronkat — October 6, 2017 @ 22:26

• Hello Walter. Thank you. I wonder if you would tell me how your back surgery went. One of my doctors wants to do some cutting, my other doctors say not to, because of the spine / nerves and they also tell me if I have them cut the bad stuff away I will most likely have to have it done again in the future. SO far I have agreed with the set that said no. Especially since recently finding out how brittle some of my bones are. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 7, 2017 @ 10:31

• I thoroughly recommend Walter Kronkat’s blog — it’s well written, on target, full of insight. I assure you that it’s worth every single while you spend there.

Comment by Bill Ziegler — October 7, 2017 @ 18:10

7. My heart soars with you, buddy.

Comment by larrypaulbrown — October 7, 2017 @ 10:09

8. Scottie,
    OK, you asked so be prepared, this may be a long post.
    August 28, 1989 I was at work. The boss had let his son use the company 5ton truck to clean up his yard. Somehow the kid and his pals broke the lift gate, actually the hydraulic cylinder that operates the lift gate. I had to remove the broken parts then get them repaired that day, a Monday of course. We had to get to the dump before it closed as the truck was needed to get to LAX for a pick up the next day.
    I got the job done, and as I checked everything worked as it should, I started to pick up my tools. I noticed an extremely sharp, I said it was like a ½ inch diameter wire hooked to 440 vote, shooting down my left leg. I was only able to basically shuffle into the shop, put up my tools, lock my tool boxes and the shuffle to the office. Told the boss all was fixed with the truck and oh, by he way, my back hurts bad and all down my leg, hip to toes. Did he want me to see any particular doctor. He said, go to the clinic just up the road. Asked if I wanted to have somebody drive me. No thanks I said, I was not sure how my truck would get home if I didn’t drive it.
    They took an x-ray, as the doctor was coming to the exam room, the tech told him, “It looks bad, very bad”. The doctor gave me some pain meds and told me to come back the next morning.
    It was work related so workman comp took over. It took me until 1994 to finally get the surgery. My late wife told me I spent 3 or 4 days in IVU looking like a rain forest. Oh, she was an RN so I must have looked a mess. The operation took them 11 hours. They fused my spine from the back, as usual, but then opened my abdomen to expose the spine and fused it from the front also. That is why it took so long, had to move my internals to expose the spine, then replace all that sort of close to where it should be. (Yes, I am being a tiny bit sarcastic. Hey,it is my nature to be that way)
    I spent a total of 14 days in hospital, counting the surgery day, ICU, then the ward.
    I can tell you I was very happy with the outcome. The leg pain was gone, the nerve that was damaged in the accident is dead of course. I have chronic back pain since, but the tens unit I use every day helps that. I have spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the opening in the vertebrae that pinches the spinal cord. Also arthritis. Oh, my left foot flops when I walk fast even, at times, any time I walk. Still, I am glad I had the surgery.
    The surgeon had wanted to build a nice bridge in my spine but once they got me opened knew he could not do that. Why? The bones in my spinal column, the vertebrae are too soft and he said the screws would never heal properly. That is why he had the fall back of doing the fusion from my abdomen.
    Would I do it again? Well, at now being very near to my 70th birthday, no, not now. If I was back in 1994 or, better yet 1989? Oh hell YES, in a heart beat. The biggest draw back post surgery was having to wear a two piece brace, hip to arm pit. It took both my late wife and myself to get into and out of that thing. Oh, I could sleep without it, but NOT get into or out of bed unless I had it on. This was to allow the fusion time to heal. We called that brace my turtle shell. Oh, for the six months I had to use that brace, I had to have bed baths. Sherie, my dear late wife enjoyed doing that. She was the best, most wonderful person I have ever known and I was the most fortunate man to have had 24 years with her until glio blastoma took her from this life.
    Probably should have emailed you this, but I have no problem sharing this with the world. I just left out the nasty bits that were not part of the surgery/recovery.
    Sorry this is such a long comment, but honestly, I DO talk too much, on the net and in person. Folks who know me in person know this from th first time we meeting any who ever read any of the blogs I had/have find it out soon.

Comment by Walter Kronkat — October 7, 2017 @ 16:39

• Hello Walter. Never worry about the length of your comments. Congratulation on your marriage, and I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. I have many of the same problems. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 7, 2017 @ 17:16

• Scottie,
        I forgot to mention that the injury blew out three discs in my lower spine (lumbar if you want the medical term) I also, somehow blew out the disc between T8 and T9 in the dorsal spine. That last one felt like an ice pick was being pushed from the outside of my back through to my chest. A neurosurgeon we went to took an x-ray of my spine and it was on his screen before he came to the exam room. Of course I had to look at it and it was obvious, yes even to a blind person, that the disc was pressing onto the final cord. He comes into the exam room, tells me—“Well it doesn’t hurt that bad” and says no, no surgery needed at this time. As we went to our car, I told Sherie, of course it doesn’t hurt him one tiny bit, but it hurts me 24/7! That disc was repaired during my long surgery in 1994.
        I should also mention that for a few years here in central Louisiana I got injections in my spine from a very good, kind anesthesiologist who did pain management as well as her normal duties. I could do that every three months. I stopped doing them two years ago as they didn’t last the full three months, it got to be only about six weeks of relief. It just was noteworthy her time, the meds, or my time for the short relief. She did get me the tens unit and that does help. I should mention that with different electrode pads, the tens does help my right shoulder some, that pain is severe arthritis.
        You can get a tens at your local drug store been Wal Mart now days. They are rather inexpensive and do help. The one I have was made before they became available as an over the counter item. It may be something you might want to ask your doctor about before you try one.

Comment by Walter Kronkat — October 8, 2017 @ 10:54

• Hello Walter. We seem to have similar problems. I do have two tems units. Sorry for me they do not help much. I use to get shots into the spine, but they stopped the day I got them and stopped breathing. Upset the doctor badly, and did not make my day. I do still get monthly shots in the muscles that run up my back near the spine. I have developed a problem where the muscles of my back are trying to do the job or the spine and protect it. So they swell badly, get really hard, and spasm. This causes huge pain and also affects my anemia. They have to anesthetize the muscles to get blood flow going properly again. My problems started in childhood due to trauma from abuse. Thanks for keeping me informed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 8, 2017 @ 11:12

9. I had no idea you have been through the wars! Glad to hear some relief and hope at present and in future, however complicated…such a bummer, but your attitude, as always, is so enviable.

Comment by Barbara Carlson — October 8, 2017 @ 09:27

• Thank you. I have had a lot of practice. I have lived with health problems most of my life. I can’t see giving up the enjoyment of what life I can have , just because I can’t have everything there is in life. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 8, 2017 @ 09:31

• Scottie,
        Keeping a positive attitude will help you more than many meds will. That was hard for me to do, yes, I am cynical/sarcastic by nature. I am not a pessimist, I prefer to call myself a realist, I try to see both sides of things. Notice I said try…..
        I will keep asking, man I’d get down on my arthritic knees and beg if needed to please try and treat all you meet every day the way you want to be treated. Oh, and even though I wish for life to be nicer, I cannot stop being me—-cynical/sarcastic.
        So, that makes me like the old Kristofferson song about the Silver tongued devil….walking contradiction—partly truth partly fiction….Hopeful yet sarcastic/cynical. People are not all good nor all bad, we are a mix of things/ideas/ideals.
        I honestly do want the majority of us to be nice to each other, life can be so much better for all IF we try.

Comment by Walter Kronkat — October 8, 2017 @ 11:03

• I would say that most of us are good and bad to different degrees. However I have met and known people that were so filled with bad, took such joy in bad, I can not say they had good in them. Not to any extent. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 8, 2017 @ 11:15