October 21, 2017

None of it makes sense, question it.

Filed under: Atheism, Political, Questions, Reason — Scottie @ 10:27

Isaiah 13:16

1. Scottie, please remember this was written by men who had no intention of their stories ever being named the infallible, inerrant, literal Word of God. Those terms were applied much later by the fundamentalist movement in America. The writings which we today call the Book of Isaiah was a collection of history, myth, and prediction of humanity’s course. The stuff children watch on TV and in the movies today are much more abominable than the tales the Jewish authors weaved. Our common enemy is not ancient literature but rather what religionists are doing with it in today’s culture.

Comment by larrypaulbrown — October 21, 2017 @ 12:31

• Hello Larry. Not to get argumentative but what it was written for was a political / geographic / political commentary and hopes of a certain sect of people. It really got changed over time in both meanings and who it was written for. But the history of the book is not really important. The fact is the book and what it means is what is being taught in the fundamentalist religions ( you can substitute churches for religions if it helps make sense of the comment better. ) and the growing majority of religious followers. You don’t need studies to show that the fastest growing religious sects are the most hardliner ones. They are definitely the ones most vocal and the ones trying to beat us to death with their views. They work the hardest, fight to get into public spaces, offices, schools, and law. They are the religious, they are not people of faith in my opinion. You have shown your self to be a person of faith. You could shred the entire holy book and your personal god would still be valid. Faith is personal, quiet, affecting the person of faith. Religion is loud, bragging, forceful, unyielding, demanding and affecting of others even those not of the same life views. I hate religion and fight against it. I love people of faith. I do hope you can see the difference and I do hope you know my fight and anger is not directed at you. But back to the book. The same people who try the hardest to get “and two makes tango” and other books banned for things they don’t like and feel kids shouldn’t see are the same people who want the entire student body to read and hear the bible which has some of the most violent, degrading, justifying rape, stoning, and slavery to mention just a little of what I find wrong with it. I think no child should read that book. It is taught to them as real, not make believe such as movies or video games. Think how torturous it is for kids, especially little kids who are desperate to please god so they don’t go to hell and have no way to be that perfect. They are drilled that if they don’t do everything right for god they will go to hell and burn in fierce pain forever. That scars kids. OK, I could rant on, but I think you understand my point. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 21, 2017 @ 14:48

• Scottie, we are agreeing about religion, disagreeing about the literature. When taken in the context as it was intended, it is no worse than the Roman or Greek classics. Our common denominator is those who present all those writings, (the beautiful, the transformative, the inspirational, and yes, the horrible) as their god’s truth and force it into the political arena and into schools. Do you follow AU? https://au.org/ Thank you for recognizing that there is a world of difference between people of faith and those who are hypocritical religious zealots. Hugs back.

Comment by larrypaulbrown — October 21, 2017 @ 15:43

• No I never seen the blog before, thanks. As for the bible being no worse than other literature we do put age limits and warnings on those, and we keep the worse out of the hands of children. Using the same standards then the bible should be off limits until the teen years at minimum. Maybe later. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 21, 2017 @ 16:21

• Know what? Disclaimers would be wonderful. I agree. AU is all about keeping the government out of religion and religion out of government. The two should be like oil and water. They don’t mix.

Comment by larrypaulbrown — October 21, 2017 @ 16:28

• Agreed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 21, 2017 @ 16:30

2. That second cartoon would go perfectly (except for the “scripture” at the end) for a post I’m writing. Where did you find it? Maybe I can “cut off” the bottom.

Comment by Nan — October 21, 2017 @ 14:03

3. All religions are, in my opinion, man made myth.
    Joseph Campbell, a scholar of myths had said that when you take myth as fact, you destroy the myth. I have saved a long quote on this. May post it at my Korner one day. Probably too long to use as a comment.

Comment by Walter Kronkat — October 21, 2017 @ 14:34

• Hello Walter. You can post as long a comment here as you wish. I agree with the idea that myths should never be taken too seriously. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 21, 2017 @ 15:00

4. “made fat with fatness”?
    This is in the translation that usually gets used by people trying to teach the Bible as literature, even.

Comment by D.T. Nova — October 23, 2017 @ 23:34