October 25, 2017

Two computers, added devices gives leeway. Hugs

Filed under: My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 13:04

I had to dump my one year old XPS computer due to something making it run slower than it should.  It was a higher end machine.  So I dumped it, even cleared its Trusted module to make sure it was a fresh install.  The computer I dumped is my blogging and main reading computer.  The great news is I am not losing much blogging time because I am using my newest computer , the one I normally use for video watching to blog.  I have podcasts going on the Ipad so I am still got a secondary input.    Well back to work.  Hugs to all

1. Running slow? Could it be a virus?

Comment by Arkenaten — October 25, 2017 @ 13:44

• That was my thinking. It could also be a programming conflict. I run a lot of programs at the same time plus all the normal windows background stuff. My hard drive was maxed out at transfer speed constantly and that should not happen unless the security system was drawing on it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2017 @ 13:47

• Program conflict could also do it. Maybe two anti virus programs running?

I have an old(ish) Samsung laptop and have only the bare minimum on the HD.
        Don’t even run an anti virus (other than what was pre installed.)
        Runs smoother than any other computer I have owned.

Comment by Arkenaten — October 25, 2017 @ 13:51

• Yes, The one it came with I have to take off to install the one I prefer. Plus windows is always trying to get you to use their programs included so you have to remember to turn those off and check them after major updates. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2017 @ 14:34

• I am still inclined to believe it is a virus.
        Every time in the past my computers have gone all ”clunky” it was because of a virus.
        I used to run AVG and it was forever picking up this or that, and I often wondered if it wasn’t half the cause of the problem itself!

The old advice about being careful what you open in emails and avoiding sites of unknown origin/content is sound advice.

I try to stay away from anything that looks remotely dubious, and never open an email I am in any way unsure of.

Comment by Arkenaten — October 25, 2017 @ 14:57

• Sadly today you don’t need to open an email or other dodgy site to get a virus. Malware can be on any site and you not know it. These people look for sites that are well trafficked and have a security they can get through. They plant the malware on the page, you go to the site, be it a gardening or photo site, or scottiestoybox, and it downloads to your computer. Eventually the site managers find it and kill it ,but by then it gets transmitted to a lot of computers. That is why you need a good real time protection to stop as much as possible coming in before they get installed. It is a weird arms race between malware and the security people that try to stop them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2017 @ 15:41

• There are some freebies out there that you can download to check for malware on your computer. I’ve used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for several years. I try to run it about once a month, Of course if your buy the “Premium” edition, it checks things automatically. Anyway, it might be worth looking into. I also use Bitdefender Antivirus for virus protection. I have the paid edition but it’s also available as a freebie. One of the best IMO plus it has several good reviews.

Comment by Nan — October 25, 2017 @ 15:58

• Thank you Nan. I use Norton, plus I have a really strong security firewall on the home router. I also let windows run malware scans occasionally. Thanks for the tips though. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2017 @ 17:19

2. Switch to Mac. Trust me. I was a DOS/Windows addict fro years until my latest PC fried. Never regretted the switch.

Comment by equinoxio21 — October 25, 2017 @ 14:51

• I have apple products, prefer my IBM clones thanks. Besides it is a myth that macs can not get viruses, there is malware designed just for them. Glad you are happy with what you use that is the best thing. Each to their own. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2017 @ 15:42

• Absolutely. To each his own. I agree that there are viruses for MAc. For me it was just an excuse to escape the umpteen Windows change. And move everything to Apple: Mac, IPhone Ipad… Practical.

Comment by equinoxio21 — October 26, 2017 @ 14:31

• Windows does seem to like to change things just to change them. And I agree I wish my Iphones and IPads would sync with my computers. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 26, 2017 @ 14:33