November 6, 2017

How to break the two-party hold on American politics

Filed under: Ideas, News, Political, Questions — Scottie @ 09:40

I am sure other people than my self have been wondering if we could change our voting system.  Here are some ideas.  Hugs

1. I believe it could work; however, pre-Hitler Germany elected this way and it led to a total breakdown of the government because at least 9 parties were represented and they refused to compromise. But, it’s better than what we have now. Thanks, Scottie

Comment by larrypaulbrown — November 6, 2017 @ 10:11

• Hello Larry, just got home from PT. I do not have the answer that is for sure. I want a more progressive liberal government and more representation for that view in congress. Now I can see that others with different views than mine would want the same thing for themselves. I know I want gerrymandering gone. That is the first step we have to do. Second I would limit the huge legal bribes now allowed by citizen united. That would make the lawmakers respond to the people instead of wealthy interests. I am not sure if more parties would govern differently but they would more accurately represent the diverse population we have. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2017 @ 12:12

• My solution is to eliminate citizen united, lobbying in DC and the electoral college. We have the technology to vote directly so long as we keep foreign powers out of our elections. The #1 and #2 candidates win POTUS & VPOTUS. Gee, they would have to compromise and work together.

Comment by larrypaulbrown — November 6, 2017 @ 14:01

• Sounds interesting I agree. In some states the governor and the lt governor are elected separately and can be different parties. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2017 @ 15:26

• Also, federally funded elections. No special interest money.

Comment by larrypaulbrown — November 6, 2017 @ 14:03

• Yes I agree, get the money out of politics because as it is now it is just a legal bribe to whoever is running for office. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2017 @ 15:25

2. Yes, yes, YES, YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!! Let me make myself perfectly clear how much I agree with this video’s suggestions and analysis!!! Yes, yes, … okay, you get the idea. 😉

And imagine that, those alternative forms of democracy — in northern European nations whose people are the happiest in the world by global comparisons — have been successful, represent its citizens more fairly, more proportionately, AND if Americans truly care about their personal interests being more exhaustively represented on local, county, state, and federal levels… it is NOT that hard to implement those voting systems here! Well, actually fighting the Corporate Vote/Representation would be quite monumental wouldn’t it? 😦

Comment by Professor Taboo — November 6, 2017 @ 15:23