December 28, 2017

Sam Harris, Fail to reason.

Filed under: Atheism, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 14:49

I am not a great fan of Sam Harris.  However this is hard to argue against.   Hugs

1. Obscene is far too strong a word when there are so many that fit the bill far more accurately. Thoughtless , centred around me , my point of view , narrow – minded , through my eyes ; but even those who reason in the Harris way may still carry on their lives as usual.
    We are all at the centre of our own universe , judging from our own perspective . This has little to do with reason and what Sam is saying amounts to stating that anyone who does not think like me is unreasonable. I expect when the majority see terrible scenes of cruelty and carnage on the television they still sleep well , a few may heed the warning and turn off , but most of us have lives to get on with even we are Sam Harris. How dare we enjoy our lives while others suffer , where is our compassion? have we no fellow- feeling ? It’s surprising how quickly the funeral passes and lives resume after all I’ve paid my respects.
    It is the habit in the last night of the proms to sing Jerusalem but the fervour and emotion soon goes because most of the time we must be normal otherwise the world would quickly crumble.

Comment by kertsen — March 20, 2018 @ 17:45

• Hello Kertsen. I guess we again disagree. I do find the idea that anyone of any religion can claim their deity is omnipotent, and praise said deity for minor trifling things, while the ignore the serious life threatening things their deity doesn’t find valuable enough to fix.
      The idea that god helped someone find their car keys while letting 17 kids die in gun fire in parkland is obscene. That someone can praise their god for sparing their home / life while destroying the town around them and killing dozens of people I find obscene. I find it obscene that someone will praise their god for letting a bible survive a fire that kills children and others. Sorry but while thousands of children go hungry at the same time wealthy people have more than they can eat I think it is obscene of anytone to praise a god they think in charge of it all. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 20, 2018 @ 18:06

2. Scottie you are an intense character and look at the world in stark black and white. The vast majority of the human race are not morally strong enough to sweep their own desires and fantasies aside and live for their fellow human beings.
    The people that you and Sam rant about are indeed deluded and live in a world of personnel fantasies but we must be very careful before we condemn . It’s the job of the ministers and leaders to point out these selfish desires of those they claim to be preaching at and lm sure some do that as well as they can.
    The old saying ‘ in the midst of live we are in death ‘ is a true one , just imagine what would happen if we all turned into Jesus who would cook the dinner , who would walk the hospital wards or play with the kids. We must have a certain amount of blindness to our own and others misfortunes to carry on .
    ‘Twould ring the bells of Heaven
    The wildest peal for years,
    If Parson lost his senses
    And people came to theirs,
    And he and they together
    Knelt down with angry prayers
    For tamed and shabby tigers
    And dancing dogs and bears,
    And wretched blind pit ponies,
    And little hunted hares.

Written in a different age from ours but straight to the point.

Comment by kertsen — March 21, 2018 @ 05:22

• Morning Kertsen. I do not think I am that different from most, I am sure I am not special. What separates me from some maybe is that I am willing to speak out. The world is not all black / white but for the things that are that way I feel it is important to address them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 21, 2018 @ 09:16

• who would walk the hospital wards — If we all turned into Jesus, why would there be a need for hospital wards? In fact, why is there a need for them today with all the many Christians running about? Didn’t Jesus give them the power to heal the sick? Hmmm.

Comment by Nan — March 21, 2018 @ 18:18

• Good question Nan. Speaking of great questions Ben just wrote a post asking some grand ones. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 21, 2018 @ 18:22

• Fortunately the people of the world are diverse in their beliefs and their actions, but the vast majority have some sort of moral code . Let me rephrase my question what would the world be like without evil ? it certainly would not be the one we all find a nitch to settle in while life plays itself out . We would have nothing to rant about , nothing to campaign for, nothing to do except sing eternal praises. Perhaps the best thing would be the end of politics and religion , we could knock down the houses of parliament and the churches and become gardeners.

Comment by kertsen — March 22, 2018 @ 04:37

• I think you give people too much credit. In the USA I would have said most had a moral code, then we elected tRump and the subhumans among us came out of the dark corners they liked to hide in. Think of it. Almost half our population in my country supports this pile of bile. In front of the pack supporting him are the evangelicals. I would accept the end to religion, but as to politics, no. Our country has shown clearly that some people need to be led into the future as they can not conceive people working together and being tolerant of diversity. But you are correct the world could use a lot more gardeners and people to care for it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 22, 2018 @ 09:17

3. Apart from some psychopaths most people are the same , so I’m a bit careful about pointing the finger . People get caught up into all sorts of beliefs and behaviours because life is full of traps. As you know intelligence and education is no guarantee against most of these dangers and some become criminal outside the law while others have criminal behaviour within the law. There is an old saying that sums up my philosophy succinctly ‘ there but for the grace of God go I ‘ . I can say this although I am no believer in God because none of us know what circumstances we may find ourselves in.

Comment by kertsen — March 22, 2018 @ 17:00

• But Kersten most of what you have written shows we are not all the same. Ron and I were just talking about that a few minutes ago. We, who have limited funds but are doing OK, give often to others in our community and outside of it. Yet we know people with far more wealth and disposable income here who do not do so. We do not feel taken advantage of to help others, yet we know from what these people have said they think helping others is the government’s job, or the charites, not theirs by any stretch. It is a difference in world views and it also a difference in what makes us people. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 22, 2018 @ 17:32

4. People ( that means the human animal) get caught up into all sorts of beliefs and behaviours because life is full of traps. When money and what it can buy slowly becomes an end in itself the humanity of a man or woman drains away and gain becomes their sole endeavour.
    Perhaps one of the greatest stories about this is Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens , in that book Scrooge is eventually redeemed by the Ghosts he sees. Societies in the western democracies encourage greed and acquisition as a means of personal satisfaction. Already these societies are among the world’s richest that have ever existed.

Comment by kertsen — March 23, 2018 @ 04:26