January 23, 2018

Great Thor they are at it again. They seem unable to understand secular country and religious freedom for religion and from theirs. Hugs

Below are some excerpts from the post.    Please take a moment to read it and see what we face everyday to keep a secular country.  Everytime a christian asks why Atheist don’t just let them be, this is the reason why.   Hugs

A Mississippi legislator, Credell Calhoun, has proposed a bill that would force teachers to recite the Ten Commandments at the beginning of every school day. Because what Mississippi needs in its public schools is more Jesus.

What exactly is the educational benefit of telling children they can’t have other gods before the one true Christian God? Or that they can’t make false idols? Or they can’t take God’s name in vain? Or that they have to rest on Sunday? Or that they can’t have sex with people they’re not married to? Or they can’t want what their neighbors have?

Do kindergartners really need to be told not to commit adultery?

This isn’t just a horrible idea; it’s illegal. Giving students and teachers the option of opting out doesn’t change that. Shoving the Ten Commandments down the throats of every public school student in the state is an obvious endorsement of religion in the classroom, and there’s no doubt this would be challenged in the courts if it passed.

1. And challenged and crushed it should be. A horrible idea..
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — January 23, 2018 @ 11:17

2. Steve Ruis had a good post the other day about this. This is why we fight! And BTW we are making progress. Excellent Scottie.

Comment by jim- — January 23, 2018 @ 11:23

• Thanks Jim. Sometimes it seems they never learn and we have to go back and fight old fights again and again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 23, 2018 @ 11:27

• This would possibly be a great law to pass and get before the Supreme Court and end this nonsense. Oh that would be a crap shoot with this court! Maybe not

Comment by jim- — January 23, 2018 @ 11:29

• I worry about the right wing ideology now on the courts. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 23, 2018 @ 13:26

• Ya never know with these yahoos

Comment by jim- — January 23, 2018 @ 13:27

3. Jesuit maxim > Quotes > Quotable Quote
    “Give me the child for the first seven years and I’ll give you the man.”

And this is why they do it ….

Comment by Arkenaten — January 23, 2018 @ 16:13

• This is why … sheesh

Comment by Arkenaten — January 23, 2018 @ 16:14

• Yup. They never quit. SO we can’t quit either. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 23, 2018 @ 16:18

• I fixed it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 23, 2018 @ 16:19

• Ah … my proof reader. Hugs back.

Comment by Arkenaten — January 23, 2018 @ 16:21

• I make so many slip ups typing. My mind just skips over them reading the words as I think they should be to make sense. I never caught the missing T until I seen the second comment mentioning it. I find it interesting how our brain fills in the missing letters. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 23, 2018 @ 16:24

4. I wonder -maybe I could find a legislator who says reading them the U.S. Constitution on alternate Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week would be good too. Even do the Amendments.

Comment by truthspew — January 23, 2018 @ 23:38

• I wonder if they could understand the words they hear. I have little respect for people like this legislator. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 24, 2018 @ 06:59

5. Yikes. Unfortunately, I’m not surprised. This sort of thing has been going on my entire life here in the South, and I don’t suspect they’re going to give up any time soon. Scroll the comment sections under any Facebook post by these evangelical state legislators, and you’ll see hundreds of comments agreeing with them — from real accounts of real people (not trolls or bots). You can click through to those voter accounts and see them talking about Jeebus all the time. It makes me sick.

Comment by Anderson Connors — January 24, 2018 @ 16:11

• I agree. I am not sure what it would take to make them see reason as for most it is emotion not evidence they base their religion on. I sent you a message on the other comment about a blog I think you would like. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 24, 2018 @ 16:14

• Also I forget if I have seen you there, but Nan has a great website that talks about atheist stuff. She wrote a book about her deconversion and the studies she found about religion. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 24, 2018 @ 16:16

• Yes, I’m following Nan. Love her posts!

Comment by Anderson Connors — January 24, 2018 @ 16:21

• Thank you Scottie! However, Anderson has already found my blog. He even left a really great comment on my recent post on Satan. 🙂

Comment by Nan — January 24, 2018 @ 16:21

• I couldn’t remember if I had seen him there. I am glad he is part of the community, I learned a lot from his dissection of the bible books. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 24, 2018 @ 16:22