February 1, 2018

Jack’s story

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 18:22

I read the other day that to have a “living wage” people need to make $50,000 a year. Minimum wage is $15,080 a year, and the $15 dollar minimum wage that Bernie pushed for would only be $31,200. I know that Ron and I together make over the living wage, but it is a struggle for us and that takes two incomes. I recently went to the grocery store, and yes I had to do a rather full cart as we needed to restock on meats and other goods. I was stunned when the total came to over $360 dollars. ( Ron normally shops ) Now I was careful and did not buy top name brands, chose the pork over the steaks. I am not complaining as I had the funds to pay for the food we eat. Yet a serious number of the people who live around me, in our own mobile home park even, make only $20,000 or less. Most are older on retirement. How do they do it? How the heck could a family with kids afford to feed the family not to mention the cost of utilities. I mean just milk and bread alone have skyrocketed. I just don’t know what is going to happen if wages and incomes do not increase to keep up with the cost of simply living. Will we become a country of dumpster divers? We have homelessness and hunger problems now as you have written about, I think it will only get a lot worse. Hugs

Ends and Beginnings

Jack (fictional character) lives in Winnsboro, South Carolina. Jack was born in Winnsboro, and will die here if he has anything to say about it.

Jack’s story is pretty common in South Carolina, told and lived a million times, by a million Jack’s all over the state. He lives in the mill house he was born and raised in with his wife, three kids and his mother. He went to work in the textile mill alongside his Daddy when he was 17, leaving high school before getting a diploma because his girlfriend got pregnant. He knew that’s where he would end up anyway, it’s where his Dad works, and it’s where his Grandfather worked. The mill had always taken care of its people and he knew it would take care of Jack and his new young family.

But something change about forty years ago. The family members that owned the…

View original post 1,155 more words

1. He writes such OUTSTANDING posts! I’m glad you gave this one additional exposure. I was thinking of doing the same thing. 🙂

Comment by Nan — February 1, 2018 @ 18:38

• I do enjoy his posts. Thanks Nan. I loved your comments on Mel’s blog. I am not sure he realized he was doing to me what he tries to accuse Ark of doing. Plus I loved when you gave this part

Further, your assertion that “it cannot be demonstrated that it comes from our biology or natural selection” discounts the emotions and concern for others that (had to) exist among the thousands of tribes and primitive peoples that lived on this earth far in advance of the arrival of Jesus.

Mel then responds

If ancient tribes demonstrated altruistic behavior like Jesus taught and lived, then it cannot have evolved. So, if not from natural evolutionary process, where did it come from?

What the heck? Does he think the tribes just appeared from nowhere. They evolved, and while the tribes evolved they also evolved their emotions and their moralities.

I could see Mel and John B were just so happy reinforcing themselves that I knew nothing I was showing them was being read. Plus they kept switching between emotions such as love and morality. When I said animals had the emotion of love, John claimed I said animals had morality. So dishonest I just had to quit.

Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 1, 2018 @ 18:49

• Thanks for the kudos, Scottie. 🙂

Mel’s response that you posted didn’t make sense to me. Jesus came way, way AFTER the tribes I was referencing … it sounded to me like he was talking about the “tribes” who were living during Jesus’ time. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, though. He does tend to twist and turn and bend other people’s comments (that disagree with him) so that he comes out the “winner” to “his people.”

And as far as you providing references? They’re going to discount them so it’s hardly worth the effort.

Anyway, back to E&B’s post … he’s spot-on so many times it’s almost uncanny. A great observer of human nature — and a great writer.

Comment by Nan — February 1, 2018 @ 19:09

• I agree. I thought at first I wouldn’t like E&B’s posts but found I look forward to them. When he talked about slowing down or not posting I was disappointed. Thankfully he keeps posting. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 1, 2018 @ 19:11

2. I’m luckier than most. I’m well educated, esp. in the computing area, and I have a roof over my head. But you can’t eat a roof and my income is tiny. I buy nothing but fresh food and waste nothing, but it gets harder every week. Trickle down economics does not work and big corporations do not provide the most jobs in any economy – small businesses do. But which company gets all the perks? The corps that pay for them. Lobbying with dollar bills is just another word for corruption. 😦

Comment by acflory — February 1, 2018 @ 19:16

• Well said Meeka. You put it far better than I did. I admit I am very worried lately. Ron is 63 this year and will soon be retiring, even though he says he will work part time. I am 55 and going back into to school and then the workforce. I just feel we have no financial security, and no real comfort in the future. The government gives more and more to the wealthy while people like me and Ron fall further behind. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 1, 2018 @ 19:20

• I think there used to be a time when governments did what they were supposed to do – i.e. look after the interests of the little guy – and kept the big corporations in check. But now they’re owned by the big corporations and all these faceless people have turned into old style ‘Robber Barons’.
        The tide will turn again. It always does, but in the meantime people like us are stuck between a rock and a hard place with no power and right of appeal.
        Trade Unions used to fill that spot, but they became greedy too.
        -sigh- the best of times, the worst of times.

Comment by acflory — February 2, 2018 @ 17:00

• Yes it is like we have gone back to a time of feudal overlords who run roughshod over the peasants. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 2, 2018 @ 19:17