February 3, 2018

Must have been a few other gods before him ??? Hugs

Filed under: Atheism, Memes, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 09:02

1. Both of these are fabulous!

Comment by Mary — February 3, 2018 @ 09:50

• Thank you Mary. Do you think the religious will see the point? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 3, 2018 @ 09:58

2. No…they are so vested in their beliefs that they cannot see any other way. I have wondered all my life (always been an atheist) why people believe and take some old collection of mystical rewritten stories as proof of a god or afterlife. They could just as easily have adopted Greek Mythology and we could be having all this discussion and division about those gods.

I also think there whole being is so vested, that they cannot allow themselves to even think about it and wonder if their beliefs make any sense because without this crutch, they would fall apart and go into depression. Luckily for use, we are not vested in fantasy and we realize that life is what YOU make it and we are happy with that .

I’m in a group of older widows and the question was asked “who or what do you rely on to help you with your grief?” Every single one is religious and they all said god or Jesus. I said my family, friends and myself. They are relying on something that is not there and I have the real thing.

Comment by Mary — February 3, 2018 @ 13:33

• Well said Mary. I know you are correct about their being too far invested, but I do hope daily living and the reason around them helps crack that false safe space open a bit. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 3, 2018 @ 13:50

3. Charles Templeton nailed it!

Comment by Nan — February 3, 2018 @ 15:44

• agreed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 3, 2018 @ 15:50

• We should ask ColorStorm that question. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 3, 2018 @ 15:51

• Oh I’m sure he’d have some FLOWERY response in his inimitable poetic style. Of course, it wouldn’t mean beans.

Comment by Nan — February 3, 2018 @ 15:57

• So you don’t think he would even miss a step or have a stray thought that maybe the question had a point? No he wouldn’t admit it I am sure. But still any reading that would have to stumble for an answer wouldn’t they? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 3, 2018 @ 16:00

• Scottie … are you seriously asking me that question? Our “beloved” CS would come up with something (anything!) to deflect a person away from the TRUTH of what Templeton said. As to what he would think in his private thoughts? That’s another matter but I feel quite certain he would have a ready answer even to himself.

Comment by Nan — February 3, 2018 @ 16:28

• Based on his reply to me elsewhere, I will guess at his opinion here: “Ants and trumpet math inside.” Something like that. 😉

Comment by Anderson Connors — February 3, 2018 @ 20:41

• Yup. I can never get a straight answer from him and I can not get him to even agree to basic science. His view that the bible is all truth and only the bible is everything in live is something I just can not understand. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 3, 2018 @ 20:45

4. I used to greatly respect Billy Graham and hated Charles Templeton….now I wouldn’t say I hate Graham, he’s fairly benign especially as old as he is now, but I love Templeton. What a brave and courageous man to look at the millions he could have made with Graham and instead choose to follow his moral compass and leave the faith. Awesome post!

Comment by The Godless Iowan — February 4, 2018 @ 07:13