March 3, 2018

Duck and cover

Filed under: Cartoons, Children, meme, News, Political, Questions, Reason — Scottie @ 09:26

(cartoon by John Cole)

(cartoon by Andy Marlette)

(cartoon by Nick Anderson)

(cartoon by Dave Granlund)

(cartoon by Paul Fell)

1. Hi Scottie;
    It does occur to me that very few rich politician buying people have children in the public school systems. Perhaps a coincidence in regards to their decision making?

Comment by Randy — March 4, 2018 @ 15:51

• Yes it stuns me to think how we have become a society of haves and have nots, with the haves making sure they and theirs keep getting more. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 4, 2018 @ 16:32

2. Hey Scott sorry if it’s been asked before and answered but I was wondering if your home is armed, given your military experience and all do you ever feel conflicted with the need to protect yourself verses being a stereotype, sorry if my question didn’t make sense

Comment by Cory Melancon — March 6, 2018 @ 11:55

• I do not have a need to use a firearm to defend myself. I keep a PR-24 ( police riot baton ) beside my bed. I live in a rather good area. The only time we had trouble I still had not had my left hip replaced and was unable to walk well but was able to drive an outraged man from our carport ( where he was assaulting a woman at 5 AM ) using just my cane. Even trained, a gun can be more danger to the owner and the innocent in close quarters combat.
      As for gun ownership. I have no problem with some styles of handguns, some hunting rifles, and even shotguns in the right settings. However no one but law enforcement needs an assault weapon in this country. Deer and squirrels are not shooting back and charging enmass. They are weapons of war. I used them. I know. They are not needed in a civilian society.
      I do not see gun ownership as an equal to freedom. You don’t need a gun to be a free person. No one is taking anyone’s rights away, but all rights have limits.
      Cory what stereotype do you think I am?
      One last thing on home security Cory. You are much safer with a dog than you are a gun. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 6, 2018 @ 12:24

• Awesome points indeed thank you for your response

Comment by Cory Melancon — March 6, 2018 @ 12:28

• Any time friend. The problem with the issue is a lot of people are hearing only talking points, only hearing one side issue. If we want to solve a problem we have out of all the industrialised countries, we need to talk to each other about these things. SO ya, it is good talking with you on them. Ask anything you want. Respond as you wish. How do you feel we should address the issue of people not being safe in schools, churches, shopping malls, country music concerts, and now the republicans in TN want to allow guns in airports? Some states are so nuts about this they allow guns in bars. I worked in bars. I don’t want guns in there. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 6, 2018 @ 12:32

• I wonder friend what was the changing point, you mentioned song these during your military time were you pro gun then…

Do you feel there will ever be a catastrophe great enough to have government intervention, I myself just can’t see it unfortunately…

Comment by Cory Melancon — March 6, 2018 @ 13:16

• Cory I think you are mistaken about my position on guns. I was in two branches of the military, I was then trained as a civilian by the Green Mountain sheriff’s department to be a reserve deputy / private detective , and worked as armed security at a nuclear Plant. I carried a gun for a living for a long part of my working life. But I am strongly for gun control. I do not think it is possible for all guns to be removed from American society and I don’t think we need to be safe. However it is not adding to our safety as a community or a society to have people talking their guns for a walk to Mcdonalds and to Walmart. You do not need to have the gun there. It is fear. people have been sold the idea that they are in constant danger and so need that big gun to protect themselves. But other than mass shootings, violence in the US is down. But it is the job of the NRA to scare people so they will by more guns. We had gun control in the days of the wild west. There were towns that were no gun places. People did not carry as many guns as is portrayed in movies because guns were damn expensive to buy and shoot.

What do you mean about government intervention? Do you mean fight the government with weapons? If so we lost. The idea that the citizens can rise up and take down the Army, Navy, Air Force, Local law enforcement, Marines, FBI, US marshals, Coast Guard.. and all the ones I forgot is pure silly fiction. So I think I did not understand the question. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 6, 2018 @ 13:28

• My apologies I thought during those to as of serving in the military you were more relaxed on hun control as it was common in your world at the time, but again you’ve made great sense with your points I could not agree more, some places if any just don’t require that level of security

Oh no lol I didn’t mean rise up against, I was speaking can a situation occur smthat would force the government to make a move for more strict gun control

Comment by Cory Melancon — March 6, 2018 @ 13:52

• No I always favored gun control because we had gun control when I was growing up. I lived in the country and most families had a hunting rifle, but not closets full of guns. other than police no one even had a pistol where I lived. So in my life guns were not commonly toted around and only taken out to hunt. So I see no need to have firearms of all types everywhere today.

Yes gun control is happening and will happen. It simply has too. I posted elsewhere that if we do not get control of all the surplus guns, we will turn into the countries to our south that are war torn battle grounds. You know, the ones everyone is fleeing to here and anywhere they won’t be killed by gang gun violence. look the students have made huge inroads to the NRA fear machine. States like Florida are thinking of some gun controls. They will pass and then more will be added until the population is safer. The Federal government has a problem of money. FOr a long time the NRA has flooded money to congress and the current president got 30 million from them. But the tide has turned. Companies are not giving the NRA automatic respect anymore. Groups, big money donors, corporations are telling politicians if they do not act to curb the gun flood, to stand up to the NRA, then they won’t get the money those groups have to give. People are saying they wont’t vote for anyone who wont commit to some gun regulations. It is happening and the kids from the last school shooting are driving it. They have huge followings on media. They are a force to be reckoned with. The people will get to the point where they simply won’t let a politician vote against gun regulations for money. Many progressive people are running for both state and federal offices, and they support gun control. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 6, 2018 @ 14:04