March 12, 2018

Hey Betsy Devos read this.

Filed under: Atheism, Children, Memes, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 13:06

1. ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Comment by Nan — March 12, 2018 @ 13:08

• Did you see the 60 minutes interview with her. She was so uninformed. She also showed she doesn’t care about underperforming schools. She only wants to have all kids got to church schools on the taxpayers dime. That is her whole push. Her point is to destroy public educations just as she did in M.I. and they are hurting after her work there. Now she will be incharge of the commision on guns in schools. Shit, duck and cover will be more common than homework. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 13:12

2. BTW, did you see her interview on 60 minutes last night? What a dork! And she has control over the kind of schooling the kids experience! No wonder she has to have armed guards with her all the time. People know what a whack-job she is and don’t want her kind of brain-fizz in our school system.

Comment by Nan — March 12, 2018 @ 13:11

• Yup just wrote that same thing back to you. Great minds …!!!

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 13:13

• Do you know how hard it is to find people in my area who watch 60 minutes? Or any news show not on fox. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 13:13

• That alone makes me worried for our country. If I try to talk news to anyone their eyes wander and they look blank. I am not interested in the latest reality tv show, but it seems few want to watch the news anymore. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 13:15

• Truly a sad state of affairs. “The Dumbing Down of America” starring Donald J. Trump.

Comment by Nan — March 12, 2018 @ 13:27

3. The funny thing is ( well not really funny) is that when I was a Christian I thought it was ridiculous that people took Bibles and prayers out of schools. Now that I’m out, I realize I thought those things because my church convinced me that those things being removed are the reasons the world is so sinful. It starts with the young kids not having Jesus at school with them and then they grow up and shoot up those schools. People become gay, murderers, pedophiles, rapists, etc… because of the way the government removed God. With my religion gone now, I am right there with you Scottie. I know it’s all a lie now. I try to teach my kids honesty at all times. Why would I want them lied to at school or anywhere else?

I’ve said this before, but the brainwashing you endure in religion is so unbelievably evident when you leave it. When you are in it, it’s just being “righteous.” But that’s why pencils have erasers, right? I’m still learning every day what an inconsiderate and discriminatory person I once was. At least my kids will be able to learn from my mistakes… and so will I. 🙂

Comment by Ben — March 12, 2018 @ 13:39

• Hello Ben. I learn a lot from deconverts like you. I was never religious in most sense, even in church school I did not believe but just went along to get my education, for what it was worth. I was only in the church for a few years as it was. SO I did not get the childhood indoctrination even though god was all around us without being really dedicated to it.
      I am stunned by the idea that an omnipotent all powerful god is at the mercy of any government as to where it can and can not be. The idea that anyone could block private thoughts of students , teachers, and staff of any school is also silly to me. If people think there is not prayer ask any kid not prepared for a test or the poor kid who is being bullied. They are praying hard to get help. But this single minded drive by some religious people to turn this country into a theocracy and to blame all negatives on some group who is not favored by their god is something I can not understand. I know religions want to indoctrinate kids before they can think their way out of religion, but they then try to justify all bad things by claiming they were denied that right to enforce their biblical beliefs on others. They are right and they are going to make you obey is the motto I get from them. It infuriates me. So much ego it seems, to hell with how anyone else thinks, my god commands and he can beat up your god. I am glad you got out of the indoctrination Ben. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 14:00

• I am also stunned that such a powerful god could be kept out of a school by a letter from a judge. Not so powerful after all I suppose. It is a lie when people say kids cannot pray or have religion in a public school. My son is in public school and when we signed him up (still being Christians at the time) they were very accommodating and offered many alternatives to “secular” things. I guess it’s not enough to have the ability to worship a god, the outspoken religious people want to force it. Religious or nonreligious, no one should force anything on anybody. Indoctrination is not part of freedom.

No matter what our beliefs are, we need to be mindful that not everyone will share the same views. We need to be tolerant of those who are different, but stand up to them when their views are somehow supposed to be mine even I’d I don’t agree with them. My beliefs are my own and I will never tell anyone it’s “my way or the highway.” I want to be happy. Everyone else does too. Their path to happiness may be different than mine and that’s okay. As long as we’re being accepting of differing views then we’ll be just fine. Now that’s a huge change from being a Christian where it’s ” we’re right and everyone else is a hellbound sinner who needs us to think for them.”

I too am very happy to be away from the indoctrination of the church. To be able to think on my own without feeling guilty about it is absolutely amazing. Take care Scottie.

Comment by Ben — March 12, 2018 @ 19:36

• Hello Ben. I liked what you wrote except sometimes in order to protect the most vulnerable and to promote the common wellbeing of our human race we must challenge those who would use their personal religion to harm others. I find I am slowly moving , or have moved a great deal, from simply atheist to more antitheist. I look back on on blog a decade ago I was more tolerant of views that I find / found harmful to others than I am now. These days if someone promotes something I think is harmful or wrong I tend to call it out. I won’t let someone slide by saying facts don’t matter, science is just an opinion, and preventing discrimination is persecuting a religious right. I look how progressive some countries have come by not letting 2000 year old or older religious views hold them back, and I want that for my country as well. I do not want one child to harm themselves because they are told they are full of sin and responsible for all the bad things their elders can name. I do not want one more child’s death due to some groups needing to be morally superior, and I damn well do not one more homeless kid because their parents chose religion over their child due to sexualilty. There was a time I wouldn’t have blamed religion but the person, now I blame both. I got into a lot of trouble because I told one person that the information was out there and they chose to ignore it. I now believe that anyone who chooses to deny the humanity of others due to their unconfirmed belief in a deity is wrong, a danger to society, and needs to be spoken up against.

But that is me at this point in my life. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 20:18

• You describe the false equivalencies and ignorant slippery slope arguments I remember from my church days. Haven’t been to church in a long damn time.

I feel much better 🙂

Comment by shelldigger — March 12, 2018 @ 15:52

• I left church a few years ago but didn’t leave Christianity until this past year. I left the church because I noticed issues within my local congregation. I left Christianity when I finally realized the issues weren’t just in the local church but stemmed from the source material.

I’m starting to feel much better myself. 🙂

Comment by Ben — March 12, 2018 @ 19:22

• I am very happy for you. One of the hardest thing for me in life was to like the person I am. To like who I am becoming. My issues are of course from my childhood abuse. But I promised myself I would be the person I wanted to be , not the person they wanted to make me. Every day I try to be a better person than I was yesterday. I don’t always make it, but slowly over the last 30 plus year I have become a person I really like. Best wishes for you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 19:27

• Amen Scottie. Oh wait I can’t say that anymore. That’s “their” word. 😉 Old habits, you know. 🙂

Comment by Ben — March 12, 2018 @ 19:40

• Besides that, you’re being discriminatory … it’s A-Men and A-Women now. 😀

Comment by Nan — March 12, 2018 @ 19:42

• Yes Ma’am. 🙂

Comment by Ben — March 12, 2018 @ 19:47

• Ok I can live with that. My pagan friends end their wishes to the universe with three sets of “so let it be” or “so mote it be”. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 20:08

• I know that inspired by the divine 1 says $amen$ so maybe that would work. 🙂 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 12, 2018 @ 20:06

4. “The idea that anyone could block private thoughts of students , teachers, and staff of any school is also silly to me.”

Exactly!!! They are not being denied the ability to pray at school, they are being denied the expectation that everyone should do as they do, when they want to do it. Bunch of sick and twisted fuckers, the religious.

Comment by shelldigger — March 12, 2018 @ 15:55