March 13, 2018

Before you advise more guns in schools read this.

Filed under: Children, Harm, News, Political, Questions, Reason — Scottie @ 13:00

A school resource officer accidentally fired his gun inside a middle school in Alexandria, Virginia, Tuesday morning, police say. No one was hurt. The officer was inside his office at George Washington Middle School in the Del Ray neighborhood when he accidentally discharged his service weapon about 9:10 a.m., according to Alexandria police.

The officer, a five-year veteran of the Alexandria Police Department, checked the area for any potential injuries and found that everyone was OK. He notified his supervisor and school staff, and classes continued as normal, police say. It wasn’t immediately clear if any students or teachers were nearby.

1. Toppenish Washington has 19 armed teachers. I’m still wondering what a better solution is since guns are not going away.

Comment by jim- — March 13, 2018 @ 13:52

• I am sorry Jim that is not a viable solution to the problem I think. The problem is there are too many guns in the hands of too many people. Guns need to be restricted not increased. We can raise the age, we can have stronger restriction on types of guns, we can get better background checks. Adding more guns to schools is just a diversion to get us to look away from the real problem. It is a dangerous situation just begging to happen. Look people thought smoking wouldn’t be able to be restricted and reigned in, but we did it. It happened because the people insisted they wanted it. Well the people need to keep the pressure up and not settle or get distracted. I am tired of being told “well that is the way it is and we can’t change it”. That is bull crap. Next we will have to arm mall clerks, waiters and waitresses, store shelf stockers. Where would it end? With every one in the country packing which is what the NRA wants? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2018 @ 14:28

• Oh I agree with you, but until something changes in the culture I’m not sure what is the best way to protect the kids. I work at a school, and these discussions are frequent. A neighboring school had a shooting a short time ago, and we are isolated and 20-30 minutes for an officer. What are we to do if we’re next. Freeman high school is also vey remote, and fortunately a janitor was able to end it with a tackle. But if not? ……

Comment by jim- — March 13, 2018 @ 14:34

• I understand Jim. However if your school is any size arming people wouldn’t help. Think of this. There was an armed officer right there outside the building at Parkland. He did not go in. 3 more police officers showed up and they also waited for more back up. Now think of the lone teacher or administrator trying to put it all on the line while also thinking how do I protect these kids that are screaming and running from getting hit by gun fire aslo. I also don’t want to turn schools into prisons. It was hard enough to learn when I was a kid, now with armed guards and metal detectors and stuff I think it must be very distracting.
          You have a right to be safe, the kids do also. I do not have a better answer to give but I am sure that adding more guns to the school is not it. It seems to me like throwing gas on a fire as a way to put it out. SOme once told me that the only way to stop guns / knives from getting into schools was to have the students be nude with no backpacks or bags. I don’t think we need go that far. I know it is a problem with violence now but still, more guns can only add to the problems. do stay safe, we would miss you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2018 @ 14:54

• Well the officer in your case is not following protocol we have here. Scene safety and parameters is the old way. Any officer here would have gone in to dispose the threat. All of our training now for active shooter is to confront early with every available source. Too bad we even have to talk about this. Hugs back brother.

Comment by jim- — March 13, 2018 @ 14:57

2. Oh but doncha’ know? This was a “isolated incident” — or so someone will say somewhere along the way — and overall, the kids will be soooo much safer with “trained and armed” individuals watching out for them.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! pulling my hair out

Comment by Nan — March 13, 2018 @ 14:03

• I know I am so frustrated at this. Instead of signing a bill requiring stricter licensing for gun dealers in chicago pass with great support by the state legislature, the governor says he will appoint a commision to look into mental health issues and making schools more secure. But require rules on selling guns, no way. Damn it is frustration. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2018 @ 14:11

3. Arming teachers is beyond absurd but not a surprising solution coming from Trump and the NRA. Imagine this scenario…the police rush in, there’s the armed man/woman, shoots the teacher.

Comment by House of Heart — March 13, 2018 @ 14:11

• Agreed. Or a teacher gets pissed off and pulls the gun on a kid. One teacher I forget where was recently in the news for hitting a student who did not stand for the pledge of allegiance. Students have the right to not stand, but the teacher assaulted the middle school kid and dragged the kid to the principal’s office. The teacher admits she was “very angry”. Imagine if she had a gun? Teachers are not superheros, they are people just like everyone else. They have good days, bad days, personal problems and all the rest. Now some people want them to be ready to shoot to kill one of the very students we hope they care for and want to nurture. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2018 @ 14:15

• That’s right Scottie, I had some real nut jobs for teachers, they are only human like the rest of us and some not above doing just what you write. Hugs.

Comment by House of Heart — March 13, 2018 @ 14:18

4. FYI. In all fairness, The school I mentioned above was armed during The Obama administration. It’s a difficult question to answer when guns are so readily available.

Comment by jim- — March 13, 2018 @ 15:35

• I understand. There have been school guards in schools for years. I am not saying that all safety officers should be taken away. But I have seen abuses of power in minority schools. Now I am against arming teachers. I am against turning schools into prisons. A few safety officers I may not like but until we can get violence out of some schools they are needed. However that doesn’t address the real issue. The issue is the amount of guns in the population. Scotland had a school mass shooting. The person used handguns. They clamped down on handguns and no more problem. Everyone knows about Australia enacting strict gun control laws after a school shooting. They have not had another one. Why is it that the USA has this mass shooting problem? What makes us different than the rest of the world? We have easy access to guns beyond reason. Think of this right after the Parkland school shooting the NRA was pushing congress to lift restrictions on silencers. WTF . In kentucky a hard right republican response to calls for gun control was to push a bill allowing guns in airports. Open and concealed carry. WTF. The problem Jim is we have one group who either because of money donations or ideology refuses to hear anything but everyone should be armed with more guns. Guns are the solution to all problems. The NRA is a lobbying agency for the firearms manufacturers. That’s where they get the most of their funds. They constantly push fear. They even sponsor NRA TV that is all about guns, how great they are at everything, and if you don’t have a few you are going to be hurt. Feel bad about yourself, get a gun and feel better. Tired of someone’s views you don’t like , get a gun. The NRA pushes this because it creates sales for their client, gun makers. To do that they use our governing system against the people. They bribe those they can, primary those who won’t agree with them. They flood an opponent’s challenger with lots of money. We are basically in a war for our society and the way we want our communities. I fight to remove the easy access to guns as other countries have proven people can have long happy lives with out them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 13, 2018 @ 15:50

5. […] all the ideas for stricter gun laws and demands to protect children through having more armed people running around, one thing I don’t see much of is giving bullet proof gear to students. They happen often […]

Pingback by Why Don’t We Issue Bullet Proof Vests To Students? | Amusing Nonsense — March 13, 2018 @ 17:08