March 23, 2018

Snappy comebacks to the NRA’s talking points!

Filed under: Gun Control, Ideas, News, Political, Questions, Reason — Tags: , , — Scottie @ 10:47

1. Scottie it’s frustrating. Have a song. “Bows and flows of angel hair
    And ice cream castles in the air
    And feather canyons everywhere
    I’ve looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
    They rain and snow on everyone
    So many things I would have done
    But clouds got in my way

I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now
    From up and down, and still somehow
    It’s cloud illusions I recall
    I really don’t know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
    The dizzy dancing way you feel
    As every fairy tale comes real
    I’ve looked at love that way

But now it’s just another show
    You leave ’em laughing when you go
    And if you care, don’t let them know
    Don’t give yourself away

I’ve looked at love from both sides now
    From give and take, and still somehow
    It’s love’s illusions I recall
    I really don’t know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud
    To say “I love you” right out loud
    Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
    I’ve looked at life that way

Oh but now old friends are acting strange
    They shake their heads, they say I’ve changed
    Well something’s lost but something’s gained
    In living every day

I’ve looked at life from both sides now
    From WIN and LOSE and still somehow
    It’s life’s illusions I recall
    I really don’t know life at all

I’ve looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It’s life’s illusions I recall
    I really don’t know life at all”

Comment by jim- — March 23, 2018 @ 11:27

• Hello Jim. I looked the song up.

I am sorry Jim, I maybe thick today but I don’t understand what the song has to do with the topic. The points the NRA makes are refutable. Oh and I just watched a VOX short video where they let students all over the country say what they think would make them feel safer or less safe. Here is the link. https://youtu.be/tvM067ITfe4

Jim I seen where on shooter was taken out by a gun carrying resource officer, yet more cases of students hurt by guns in schools have happened. I noticed in the Daily Show interview last night with the students, the minority student said he would be more afraid in school if his teachers carried guns because often minorities are targeted for harsher penalties and treatment for things. I agree. I read almost every day where a teacher or home room aid snaps because a child refuses to stand for the pledge and the authority figure tries to make them or lashes out and harms them. Now add a gun to that mix. No I do not want guns carried by teachers. If it is a need then trained deputies as resource officers with well defined duties and responsibilities must be the ones to carry the guns. But I would rather we find a way to say no guns in school. We do it for other places. We can make schools safe and still not turn them into a prison. Be well. I enjoy your chats and ideas. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 23, 2018 @ 11:40

• I just thought a little break from the intensities of this was good for me. I got an email today from a parkland student to sign a national petition. Looks like the kids are going to be the ones to solve this. I signed it and returned it. Hugs back Scottie.

Comment by jim- — March 23, 2018 @ 11:45

• Oh I understand. I also am a bit wound up on everything. I immerse myself in the political and theist / atheist debates all day long. It does tend to get me off balance sometimes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 23, 2018 @ 11:47

2. A little Joni Mitchell’s good for the soul. 🙂

I am behind those students 100%. As I’ve said before, they are the adults in the room. Giving guns to teachers is about the worst idea I’ve ever heard.

Comment by carmen — March 23, 2018 @ 14:03

• Thank you Carmen. The children shall lead is becoming true. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 23, 2018 @ 14:06

3. GREAT VIDEO!!!!

Wish this could be displayed on a video screen in the middle of every town! Of course, the “supporters” will simply ignore and berate the “con” Betty — but the points are still there. And TRUE!

P.S. As I’ve indicated before, I’m not much of a video watcher … but I have to say, this is one video I’m glad I took the time to watch. 🙂

Comment by Nan — March 23, 2018 @ 14:30

• Thank you for watching Nan. I agree, it is a powerful video and says what I wish I could say. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 23, 2018 @ 14:33

4. Excellent video, Scottie! As you know, though I try, I don’t get to reading other people’s posts as much as I would like these days, but David mentioned this post of yours and recommended I check it out. I’m so glad I did! Hugs, my friend!

Comment by jilldennison — March 23, 2018 @ 23:10

5. She hits some good points. I’m just not fond of her voice… (Or anyone’s voice, really, which is why I rarely watch video…)

The really frustrating part? They make the same arguments every time. We rebut them and refute them solidly, every time. And then they say the same damn things again next time. It’s almost like right-wingers aren’t too bright.

Thirdly, I’m honestly not worried about the NRA. They can throw all the money around Washington they want (and state governments too), but it doesn’t force anyone to vote for one bill or against another. As long as voters all around me keep electing Ted “Gun” Cruz, John “Gun” Cornyn, Mitch “Gun” McConnell, and the others, we’re going to keep having Gun Nuts in Congress. The NRA can have its NRA-TV and eat it too for all I care. But citizens are getting smarter. We’re going to (eventually) vote out the Gun Goons and get reasonable representation. If not, what’s the point of having a pretend democracy?

Comment by Anderson Connors — April 3, 2018 @ 14:15

• I think the voters are fired up about the issue and as you say will vote them out. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 3, 2018 @ 14:39