March 28, 2018

A short update: Oral surgery.

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 13:00

Hello everyone.  Draw up a piece of the internet and have a sit down.  I just want to update everyone.  I have not been out to as many bogs as I normally get to.  It is not that I have stopped liking all of your blogs, I simply have not felt well.  Plus I have been having appointments that took my time.   I just got back from oral surgery.  I had to have a lot of work on the gums and teeth lately.  So this morning they took out a bad tooth, cut the gums or pulled them from the teeth, cleaned everything, smoothed some places.   They gave me a bone graft to fill the hole the bad tooth came from.  Then they put the gums back and stitch then back up.   I had the lower left done.   I have to have the upper left done and the upper right.   Then the dental work starts.

So I have a lot of numbing stuff in my mouth now.   Plus I got a whole sheet of instructions for the next two weeks.   No eating for several hours.  Soft foods only, nothing hard or crunching.  No straws.   No hot liquids for a few days.   Plus no brushing that area, but soak it in peridex twice a day.   A bunch of antibiotics.  I turned down the painkillers as I am already on them.

I hope to be back to the 100 plus blogs and the 300 and up emails I get daily very soon.   Thank you for understanding and again I love all of you.   Hugs

1. Mend soon, Scottie!! xx

Comment by Carmen — March 28, 2018 @ 13:06

2. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly. Take care.

Comment by Ben — March 28, 2018 @ 13:13

• Thanks Ben. They say two weeks until the stitches come out. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:20

3. Ow. I’ve had impacted wisdom teeth extracted and was miserable for two weeks, and what you had sounds like a lot more than that! I really feel for you.

What do they make the bone grafts out of?

Comment by Ubi Dubium — March 28, 2018 @ 14:13

• Hello Ubi. The graft is made of ground up cadaver bone. They put some type of growth stuff with it. It is then packed hard in the hole. They hope it will stay and take. I do not know if they put something over it, they did not say they did. They said two weeks until the stitches come out and it starts to heal up. I got to do this whole thing two more times. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:35

• Again, OWW! But isn’t it cool that we live in the future where such things are possible?

Comment by Ubi Dubium — March 28, 2018 @ 18:02

• Yes I am very grateful. IF I couldn’t get this oral care I would lose most of my teeth in a few years. So no matter what I have to go through this is letting me keep all but that one tooth. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 18:04

• Ubi, I was saying pretty much the same thing yesterday. I had a temporary crown put on and I thought to myself … thank goodness I live in a time when dental work is so modernized! Can you imagine what is what it was like years ago? No wonder so many people didn’t have any teeth!

Comment by Nan — March 28, 2018 @ 18:10

• I agree with both of you. I did not even realize I had a dental problem. I had a tooth break, and then a tooth start to hurt a bit. SO I went to the dentist. He did X-rays and turned out I had a terrible root and gum problem. I even had an infection under / around that bad tooth but I did not know it. So yes this has been large learning lesson. I just wish I had kept up with cleanings and things. I never did even though I had insurance because I didn’t know I had a problem. Dental is far more important than I knew. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 18:15

• My grandfather was a crazy ole bugger, cheap as hell, and a drunk. He’d literally, and I mean LITERALLY, pull out his own teeth with a pliers rather than go to a dentist and pay for dental work. It wasn’t, obviously, because pain bothered him. No. It was because he thought dentists were too expensive. Yeah, I’ve had A LOT of idjits in my family.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — March 29, 2018 @ 10:24

• Wow. Well it shows he did not have a glass Jaw. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2018 @ 10:32

• Glass brain maybe, however. 🙂

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — March 29, 2018 @ 11:56

• Ewwwww! I like to save money too … but most definitely not to that extent! 😲

Comment by Nan — March 29, 2018 @ 11:48

• Glad Jeff made it OK. Sometimes that crud runs down generations like it did in the place I grew up. It was passed from father to son to son to son …. But lets not be sexest, it was also passed to daughter and all the way to today. A few of us broke free and changed our lives for the better. The rest , well they keep having offspring. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2018 @ 13:21

• Well, I’m far from OK, but I’m certainly not a violent, abusive shit-for-brains awful person like my family was. People like that cause pain and suffering to everyone they touch. But, we’re here and still fighting the good fight, Scottie, so that IS a very good thing.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — March 29, 2018 @ 13:28

• Sounds like we both made it out of bad childhoods and became the person we wanted to be, not the person they wanted to make us. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2018 @ 14:24

• Well, actually, I wanted to be Brad Pitt, but that didn’t work out. So, I’ll just have to be who I am. 🙂

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — March 29, 2018 @ 14:50

• I am glad you are who you are, you are a good friend. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2018 @ 14:52

4. Of course we’ll miss you, Scottie — but take care of yourself (especially your mouth!) and visit when you can and feel up to it. 😍

Comment by Nan — March 28, 2018 @ 14:28

• Thank you Nan. Ended up spending most of the afternoon in bed. Was tempted to just stay there but dragged myself up as I missed everyone. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:36

• Are you getting this done through the VA?

Comment by Nan — March 28, 2018 @ 17:57

• No. I used the VA for my first hip surgery and had my medical through them from 1996 to 2006. Then because the area I moved to did not have the VA facilities I needed I switched to private. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:59

5. Hope you’re better soon. If you need to smile, think of this: tRump’s nick name in the White House, behind his back, of course, is President Spanky thanks to Stormy Daniels. Now, smile, take two pain killers, and relax. See you soon. 🙂

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — March 28, 2018 @ 14:42

• That’s a spanking good idea. 😃😄😋😎 Thanks Jeff. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:37

6. Get well soon!

Comment by Robert A. Vella — March 28, 2018 @ 16:02

• Thank you Robert. I slept all afternoon and feel a bit better. My surgery took about two hours and it wore me right out. They tell me the others should be easier. I hope. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:39

7. I wish you a good and quick “come-around” dear friend – hugs

Comment by miles — March 28, 2018 @ 16:13

• Thank you Miles. They had to do a lot of stuff, including taking the tooth that had a bad root. It was about two hours total. But they are very good and very caring. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:40

8. Take care of yourself Scottie, don’t come back till you’re ready.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — March 28, 2018 @ 16:45

• Thank you David. I slept most of the afternoon. Ron felt I should stay in bed, but I admit I simply missed all you people and your blogs. So I am at my desk despite everything. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:46

9. Best wishes for feeling better soon

Comment by maryplumbago — March 28, 2018 @ 17:31

• Thank you Mary. They say I will feel better in a few days with the healing time about two weeks. They hope. They did say the third day would be the most painful. I have two more of these surgeries. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 28, 2018 @ 17:48

10. Yeah, he was quite the drunken a-hole.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — March 29, 2018 @ 11:57

• Grew up with a jerk like that. Drunk, mean, big, arrogant, and thought he was smarter and better than anyone. Yah he has failed marriages, bad home life, domestic assault, kids with drunk driving charges as they follow the old man. Oh and he is a republican and a big tRump supporter. In all fairness he got it from the asshole who raised him, but he excelled and took the asshole part to even greater lengths. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 29, 2018 @ 13:17

• Yeah, I hear you. I’m sure my grandfather would have been a staunch tRump supporter. Idjits sure seem to attract each other, eh?

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — March 29, 2018 @ 13:19

11. Get better soon Scottie. If the mouth pain gets to be too much, cloves work well. All natural with a numbing effect and they freshen the breath. 🙂

Comment by Xena — March 29, 2018 @ 23:41

• I had great pain during the surgery. I have had little pain after. My problem is the limitations I am under for eating and stuff. I also have to be careful where they put the bone graft materials. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2018 @ 07:45

12. Ouch!

I often joke that I’d prefer to have dental work done than “x” X being anything from following the wife around in a clothing store to running into a x-ian troll on the internet. I’ll quit making that joke till you feel better 😉

Comment by shelldigger — March 30, 2018 @ 11:24

• I like the joke, keep using it. The pain was during surgery . They had to give me five painkiller shots to knock it down enough to proceed. I have had little pain since though. The swelling is going down. My biggest problem is the food restrictions. No hard stuff, no chew stuff, nothing on that side, no sucking ( no straws ) or swishing as they don’t want the graft to get lose. I have it good. Ron got a temp crown yesterday while he waits for the perminment one. He was in so much pain last night he couldn’t sleep. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2018 @ 11:37

• Damn man, I suppose misery loves company. Give Ron my well wishes, and take a few for yourself 🙂

Yeah, going 2 weeks on instant oatmeal, soup, and ice cream doesn’t sound so bad, but probably not from the 3rd day on.

Comment by shelldigger — March 30, 2018 @ 11:55