April 12, 2018

White Christian Privilege

I was challenged recently about my assertion of white christian privilege by Amanda.   Well here is some well known evidence for it.   It does exist and it has continued to cause problems to this very day.   Hugs.

There were movies made during that time that we now consider classics, but they also perpetuated a view of the world that was white, straight, and God-friendly at all times. Movies better reflected reality after the Church got out of the business of policing Hollywood.

How did the Catholic Church impact the “Golden Age of Hollywood”? They made sure that very Hollywood movie from 1934 to 1954 followed a strict moral code that forbade nudity, excessive drinking, mocking the clergy, showing interracial couples (yep), and acknowledging the existence of gay people.

That’s what God wanted, after all.

1. Of course white privilege is obvious except to those who exemplify it. Just like religious nuts think they’re normal.

Comment by maryplumbago — April 12, 2018 @ 08:51

2. That anyone is still challenging the notion of privilege is laughable in this country. Yes, we can all think of instances where the privilege didn’t help much, but exceptions do not nullify the general reality.

Example of white privilege: I’ve been pulled over by police but never ONCE suspected it was because of my skin color, even when the officer was black or Hispanic.

Example of Christian privilege: most employees at my job, including my boss, are openly Christian. On breaks (and sometimes even during work) they freely mention God and his “blessings”, things that happened at church recently (or are about to happen), hang up posters around their desks that include Bible quotations and imagery, etc. About half of them wear stylized scale models of ancient Roman torture devices on chains around their necks. About half of them have bumper stickers on their cars that either outright mention or at least allude to religious topics. And not one of these people thought their jobs would be in danger if they mentioned Jesus, God, church, the Bible, etc. But as an atheist, I DO feel my job could be in danger if I said it aloud or frequently made references to the flaws in the Bible. I carefully keep quiet about it.

Comment by Anderson Connors — April 12, 2018 @ 09:45

• Well said. DId you see the savage atheist short video deal with atheist discrimination. He is a disabled vet yet he can not use the disabled parking spots at his work because christians complained about his two atheist stickers on his truck. Talk about christian privilege. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 10:06

3. The loudest, most annoying example of “identity politics”, to me, is perpetrated by white Christians screaming about their “rights”. “Oh, we are SO mistreated! We have to live a world where gays can openly get married and, now get this, HOLD HANDS IN PUBLIC WITHOUT BEING BURNED AT THE STAKE! What kind of a world is this? Christ, Mexicans are coming across the border in caravans to rape us and eat our babies! What kind of a world is this?! We are abused, mistreated, maligned, and SO disadvantaged politically that, hell, for EIGHT YEARS, we had to endure a BLACK President!!!! What kind of a world is this?! NEVER in the history of life on Earth has any group of people been more stepped on than the white Christian in today’s America. WE deserve this country to be formed and run the way WE want it to be. America was founded by, and for, white Christians in, or about, 1950 by Jesus, a FINE example of a white man if EVER there was one, and six white guys over sixty years of age who were rich as f**k. There were NO people living in America until white people came here, killed off the dinosaurs that roamed the land, and built tax exempt Christian churches every 2 blocks all across the country. Since all of this is undeniably true, why, oh, why, do we poor, maligned Christian whites have to listen to, look at, and tolerate ANYONE who is not just like us?! We may seem like little whining, spineless snowflakes when we cry, bitch, and moan about how deeply our tender feelings are hurt because gays exist and Mexicans live across the street from us, but Jesus is the one demanding we do these things because, well, because, it’s the way he wants things to be. He’s right there with us edging us on to fight for our right to be white, right, and Christian, making our politics and our point of view the ONLY ones that should be heard and tolerated in America. Oh, how we SUFFER! Oh, how we hurt! Oh, when, oh when will we EVER get our chance to rule and lead this country in the name of white Christians everywhere?! Until such a time comes, we will continue to whine, cry, bitch, moan, and be the biggest snowflakes we can be in order to defend our identity as whining, snowflake, white Christians who, like toddlers demanding every meal be made of candy, want everything around us to go our way and ONLY our way simply because that’s how we want it to be. May the blue-eyed whiteness of Jesus bless us all and make the world as white, Christian and free of gays and Mexicans as possible. Amen.”

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — April 12, 2018 @ 10:15

4. The bible is a story-book, it has nothing to do with facts. The earth isn’t flat, and mankind exist much longer than 6000 years. So christians are liars when quoting the bible for facts. … and I mean they are liars.

Comment by miles — April 12, 2018 @ 12:51

• Yes there is very little fact in anything of the bible. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 13:08

5. How does what happened in the movie industry years and years ago effect current day?
    And how is that a privilege that applies to someone in current day who isn’t even Christian? How is it a privilege at all?

Comment by Amanda — April 12, 2018 @ 13:14

• Hello Amanda. How are you? Getting enough rest? The past affects and influences the present. Because of the past norms it is harder depart from those assumed notions.

The proper question is how does that priviage affect someone who is not christian today.

You are going to have to expand and explain your question. The question as asked leaves out too much information to make sense or be answered. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 13:19

• So how is that a privilege ?

And how is your example relevant currently, SPECIFICALLY?

Please give detail clearly without digression and show WHO this alleged privilege currently effects.

Comment by Amanda — April 12, 2018 @ 13:23

• Well Amanda I am tired of writing essays in answer to your vague questions so you can ignore them and go off on a tangent. So I am not going to just assume what you are asking.

How is what a privilege?

What example are you referring to please?

A privilege not shared equally effects negatively those who do not share it. In these cases the privilege is not earned and in the situations we are are discussing it is assumed. So instead of saying white privilege or christian privilege or both, let’s say red hair privilege. So if red haired people get things only they can access and have rights not granted to others, if they have an assumed superiority over all other with other colored hair then that is a privilege. Then they try to maintain that privilege when others try to equal out the situation by claiming tradition.

Amanda I know you are smart enough to understand all this. It is clear that both white privilege and white christian privilege has been active in this country since day one. It is clear that both groups want to maintain that status even as it fades. So what really is your beef? What is your point? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 13:55

6. Being white is a right people are fighting for ? No way was that a serious statement.

Why do you seem to tie white people with being “right” wing/christian?
    Most lefties are white and by far MOST blacks in the US are Christian.

Comment by Amanda — April 12, 2018 @ 13:18

• Hello Amanda. What the heck are you referring to? White people have a privilege, that is without any doubt. Read the comments.

I have no idea what you are driving at in the comment here, other than to troll. You are making claims but not sourcing and providing your references. Make yourself clearer please. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 13:24

• You stated that people are fighting for the “right” to be white and christian,
        I was responding to that statement.

Comment by Amanda — April 12, 2018 @ 13:27

• Ah I don’t remember saying that? Did I say it in the post or the comment section? Can you quote it for me? I do claim that white christians are trying to keep , yes fighting to keep, the privilege and assumed rights they have had and in some respects still do. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 13:57

7. The black community should be EQUALLY condemned for spreading and accepting Christianity as the white community is.

Comment by Amanda — April 12, 2018 @ 13:20

• You seriously missed the entire point of the post, the article , and I have to ask why. Everyone one else got the point. Read again. Your comment seems a deliberate side track. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 13:26

• Everyone else “got” the point (aka agreed with your opinion) because they don’t disagree.

I didnt fail to understand anything you’ve said, I disagree with it. There’s a difference.

Comment by Amanda — April 12, 2018 @ 13:28

• People got it because it is a fact that is true, not because they agree with me. I dare say I learn far more from them than they do from me. A true fact.

You disagree. OK lets start there. What do you disagree with. Show and the rest how we all got this wrong. Are you really saying there is not a “white privilege” and a “christian privilege” in this country? If so why do you deny our history and current culture?

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 14:01

• The point is White Christian privilege, something black people by definition can’t be part of. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 13:27

• That doesn’t discredit what I said (and frankly is the most autistic thing I have ever heard).

Being black (or ANY race) does not excuse someone to spread hurtful, anti-progressive messages and ideologies. It is not an excuse.

Comment by Amanda — April 12, 2018 @ 13:31

• Ah I see the problem. You don’t know what “white christian privilege” means. That is why your statement makes no sense.

Here is some reading material.

Christian privilege is any of several advantages bestowed upon Christians in some[specify] societies. This arises out of the presumption that Christian belief is a social norm, that leads to the marginalization of the nonreligious and members of other religions through institutional religious discrimination and/or religious persecution. Christian privilege can also lead to the neglect of outsiders’ cultural heritage and religious practices. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_privilege

Don’t Believe in Christian Privilege? These 15 Examples Will Leave No Doubt from https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01/believing-christian-privilege/

Christian privilege awards certain benefits to some, while giving none to others. In this lesson, you’ll learn more about Christian privilege, what it means, and what it looks like in society and in the workplace. from https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-christian-privilege-definition-examples.html

Now white privilege is about the same except deals with white instead of christian.

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit people whom society identifies as white in some countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

According to Peggy McIntosh, whites in Western societies enjoy advantages that non-whites do not experience, as “an invisible package of unearned assets”.[1] White privilege denotes both obvious and less obvious passive advantages that white people may not recognize they have, which distinguishes it from overt bias or prejudice. These include cultural affirmations of one’s own worth; presumed greater social status; and freedom to move, buy, work, play, and speak freely. The effects can be seen in professional, educational, and personal contexts. The concept of white privilege also implies the right to assume the universality of one’s own experiences, marking others as different or exceptional while perceiving oneself as normal. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Hope this helps explain it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 14:11

8. I think Amanda is trying to make her point and you are trying to belittle her response. You want response right? Then don’t be belligerent if one is not in agreement. I am specifically addressing what seems to be a condescending attitude in your comment reply. Hugs.

Comment by House of Heart — April 12, 2018 @ 15:05

• Thank you but after the last time we went back and forth for three days I got the feeling she was not really trying, she just wanted to deny there was anything wrong with christianity, even after claiming she did not follow the faith. I think she is either not aware of her indoctrination or she is misleading me. She now is doing the same thing with white privilege in my mind.

I am trying to not be belligerent with her, but seriously can you say that she has no clue about white privilege in our country? She makes statements designed to be argumentative and I simply am tired of it.

The last few comments I turned the tables on her and asked her to explain what she was try to get to so I can correctly answer. When she did she showed a lack of understand of what white privilege was by what she wrote. So she clearly has no interest in learning or she would have googled it. I did. I replied with the definitions. She has not answered, and I think she did not because it is hard to make an argument out of a definition.
      So if I appear belligerent it is that I don’t want a to spend the next few days in a never ending denial of reality and fact with me doing all the work. I really do not mean to be rude, and I do think I am going to have to watch the condensation I have developed toward her. You are very correct about that. I was not aware I was belligerent in that large a degree. How ever the fact I asked you to clarify if you agreed with the post without first looking to see you liked it shows I am a bit on trigger. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 12, 2018 @ 15:16

9. Scottie…she wants to argue for the sake of arguing…she’d have to be braindead not to get the point of the post and not to see the validity.

Comment by maryplumbago — April 13, 2018 @ 14:02

• Thank you Mary. I was wondering if only I seen this. I admit I was getting tired of the obstinance for obstinance sake. But I wondered if I was being too quick to judge. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 13, 2018 @ 14:08