May 10, 2018

A request from my brother Randy

Filed under: Health, Ideas, My Life and Rants, People I like — Scottie @ 20:06

Randy and I were talking about how much riding my bike has started to help me recover.  He is interested in riding also.  He asked me to see if any of the readers here have some ideas about bikes for him.   He wrote his size below.  He says he is having trouble finding a bike where he lives.    Thanks a lot everyone.  Hugs

6’4″ 300+ lbs. 34″ inseam. Prefer something I could take up north and ride on those dirt roads as well as the paved roads here.

1. I wish I knew enough about bikes to help. Is Craigslist available to him?

Comment by Sirius Bizinus — May 11, 2018 @ 01:16

• Should be. I think the problem is he knows nothing about bikes. I simply went to target and got mine. Things are harder when you are Randy’s size. I posted a picture of Ron, Randy and myself out to eat. He is a head taller than us. He simply is a large man who things are not made for. So some research is needed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 11, 2018 @ 08:23

2. In my town we have many bike shops that will actually fit you to a bike. I told them I wanted a road bike (hard surfaces) but also go down a dirt trail (mountain bike) I got a combo that could do either but it was fit to me. I tried many. I loved the 3 wheel bike that was called recumbent bike so you are more comfortable and can recline some as you are riding. You can’t put your full body into the pumping of your legs as you can if you are upright though but also sitting upright puts pressure on your back and your shoulders as you lean over. My bike I got extensions on the handle bars so I could sit up higher and not slump over.
    I wish he had a bike store that he could trust would help him with this. Just winging it, which I did in the past, ended up in something I couldn’t use multipurpose. My husband helped me with this one. But the bike shop also made sure the seat adjustment was perfect for my knees. If you are hyperextending your knee or not extending enough it can hurt your knees. Maybe too much info but just wanted to share my limited knowledge. I cannot ride at all anymore but when I could I put in a lot of research and tried many bikes

Comment by bethanyk — May 17, 2018 @ 14:55

• Good afternoon Bethany. You provide good information. The problem is most bikes have a weight limit of 195 pounds, and the heavy duty ones are about 225 pounds. Of course that is a factory thing so you have a little lee way in going over. Bikes in the over 300 range really are expensive and normally are custom ordered through a bike shop as you say. The problem Randy has is he doesn’t know anything about bikes and was wondering what was a good name brand for his size. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 17, 2018 @ 15:32

• Oh sorry i missed the point!!!!
        Trek is an excellent bike brand

Comment by bethanyk — May 17, 2018 @ 15:52

• Thank you. Hope all is well and you are drying out from all the rain. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 17, 2018 @ 16:07