May 17, 2018

christians are NOT a persecuted group in the US

Filed under: Atheism, Bigotry, meme, News, Political, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 14:18

Thumbnail

1. Christians are persecuted like people with a different taste in music are persecuted. You may get an occasional “Oh, you’re into that? I don’t care for it myself” kind of response but that’s about it. Christians are free to worship however and whenever they want to. Despite the rhetoric you may hear, kids are allowed to pray in school as well as read their Bibles. They just are not allowed to force their beliefs on others and the schools are not allowed to lead in prayer as it would alienate any non-Christians. You can pray in public and listen to open-air Christian rock concerts without fear of anyone attacking you for it. I used to attend “SoulFest” here in New Hampshire. It’s New England’s largest Christian music festival. I went there for several years. Guess what? No one cared. No protestors or signs outside telling me how wrong I was.

The church I used to attend would often claim that Christians are some of the most persecuted groups in all of history. I believed it, but looking back I don’t know why. Every now and then a coworker might joke a bit about it and ask me to use my “voodoo magic” to pray for them, but it was fairly harmless and not mean-spirited. Persecuted though? Ha! Tell that to the Jews or the LGBTQ people or African Americans. See how much sympathy you get from them. Christians don’t know the meaning of persecution. If they say they do, just add it to the other lies they are trying to sell you.

Comment by Ben — May 17, 2018 @ 14:36

• Thank you Ben. Again you show wisdom in your thoughtful comments. I think it was mostly Fox News and Bill O’Reilly who got the whole war on christmas thing started. I know that was a hot topic in my mobile home park with the elderly who would put signs on their lawn to put christ back in christmas. They would aggressively say “Merry Christmas” to everyone they saw all season long. I would get such flax when I would try to explain the history of the christmas traditions, as it was clear to them it all started with Jesus birth on the 25 of december.

Ben I think another big part of the christian persecution idea is christianity is losing the privilege of assumption that has long been part of our southern society. There was a time when all over the country a religious leader could mold public / government policy simplify by expressing their opinion. As the different christian groups are forced to accord rights to females, different gender ideas, different sexual orientations, different ideas on what is proper and moral, the more they can not force their will on others the more they claim to be persecuted. I have posted a meme several times that says ” Not being allowed to oppressed others is not you being persecuted”.
      Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 17, 2018 @ 16:26

• That whole war on Christmas thing is garbage. Christmas is a Christian holiday by name only. Every single Christmas tradition is Pagan in nature. Christians like to claim that it’s all about honoring Jesus but then they decorate their homes exactly the same way as their neighbors and celebrate the same exact way with trees and gifts. They just substitute Jesus for Santa and the guilt of celebrating a Pagan holiday is just swept away. Turning their lies into praise is just that simple. sigh Christ was never in Christmas. Christians tried to force him into a holiday that was never theirs. The history of Christmas is so unbelievably easy to research. Too bad most don’t take the time.

Comment by Ben — May 17, 2018 @ 17:25

2. But…but…but….SCOTTIE!!!! What about the bloody war on Christmas, or the fact gays can get married and…and….and… LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO ME????!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!! What about that, huh? Man, I feel persecuted just writing this on your blog!! Why don’t you have a Christian safe space here with lots of Jesus pictures and incense ‘n stuff, huh? I’ll tell ya’ why! ‘Cause yer persecutin’ me, THAT’S WHY!!! Now, cut it out, OK.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — May 17, 2018 @ 14:51

3. I had to laugh at some of the comments – I’m looking at you inspiredbythedivine! – but at the back of my mind the thought that lingered was that so-called Christians /may/ become persecuted in the future, because of the hatred, greed, violence and lack of charity they exhibit now. The one thing history shows, again and again, is that for every extreme, there is an inevitable backlash as society tries to rebalance itself. I feel sorry for the true believers who practice their faith the way the early Christians did, but I don’t feel at all sorry for those that mouth platitudes and convenient dogma without a charitable bone in their collective bodies.

Comment by acflory — May 17, 2018 @ 22:44

• 😀

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — May 17, 2018 @ 22:48

• I know there will be a backlash against their actions. I have hope we can bring as many of them as possible into the current age. I keep reminding myself that fundamentalist religions world wide have done a lot of harm, and they have to be stopped. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 18, 2018 @ 06:58