May 22, 2018

Border Patrol agent detains women for speaking Spanish at Montana gas station

Filed under: Bigotry, Harm, News, Political, Questions, Race, Reason — Scottie @ 10:52

What the heck is wrong with the people in the US.   Being able to speak more than one language is a gift, a talent, not a crime.  How can any reasonable person think hearing speak another language means their an illegal immigrant?   How much of a sheltered life do you have to have to know other languages are spoken in the US?   I personally have trouble understanding the different english dialects spoken in this country.  Hearing something you can not understand is not grounds for arrest and detainment or people from Maine would be arrested in Georgia.   This is simply more fear mongering and scapegoating.  More of the us against the them mentality.   One thing that I notice is that spanish is the language picked out for these tiraids and investigations, not any other that is spoken.   I wonder why?   Please go to the link below and read the story.  Then let me know what you think.  Hugs

1. My family and I speak 2 languages , as well… Filipino language and English… and a bit of Spanish. I wish I could speak Japanese, too…. that Border patrol guy is an idiot.

Comment by renxkyoko — May 22, 2018 @ 11:01

• I agree. I wish I had better language skills. I think that your being able to speak different languages is wonderful. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2018 @ 11:07

2. That’s racial profiling in any language.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — May 22, 2018 @ 11:49

3. Scottie … I didn’t read the article because I didn’t want to get any more upset (I had read something on it yesterday). But I will tell you what I think … it sucks!

Comment by Nan — May 22, 2018 @ 12:26

• Thank you Nan. It was very upsetting to me. Where I live we hear french all winter, we hear spanish everywhere, we hear Creole, and other languages. I have not gotten upset by it as when I needed to communicate the people all switched to english. They spoke both. I did not. That is not something to fault them for. And to go after someone because you hear a language you don’t speak is nuts. Have a good day. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2018 @ 12:30

4. How strange i just passed an agent who spoke Spanish i wonder if that means he should turn himself in…

Comment by Cory Melancon — May 22, 2018 @ 12:42

5. Wow. I don’t know what else to say.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — May 22, 2018 @ 14:23

• Ya, pretty bad. Wonder what he would do if he heard people speaking french? Think they stole in from Canada? Somehow these spanish speaking ladies managed to cross the southern board and work themselves all the way to the northern border to what, sneak into Canada? Makes no sense. The thing that does is he got triggered by spanish and thought “Oh no a couple illegal mexicans”. Hey did you hear about the GOP running for the fed house in Florida saying that anyone from Puerto Rico that came to Florida after the hurricane damage to the Island should NOT be able to register to vote and not let to vote? He is afraid they would vote democrat and that would be wrong. He said that. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2018 @ 14:54

• These guys are un-fucking-believable! It’s sickening. Little scares them more than fair elections. Fuckers.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — May 22, 2018 @ 15:55

• Yup, just seen a poll saying the republicans have taken a small lead in the generic ballot this year. How the heck can the dems be doing that bad with tRump in the white house and congress so clearly up his ass? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2018 @ 16:52

• Yeah, I’ve heard that, too. I seriously question these polls. They’re all over the place. I mean are THAT many people flipping around on their opinions of Trump and the Repukes? “I like’ em. I don’t. I’ll vote for them. I won’t.” There’s too much of a firm divide here on these issues for me to see people flipping all over. We’ll see in November. We HAVE to get the House. If we don’t, we are screwed. Trump will see it as a mandate to destroy everything he hasn’t already. I think the media enjoys reporting on bouncing poll #’s. It gives them clicks and ratings. After all, polls said Hillary would win. We all know how that turned out, eh.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — May 22, 2018 @ 17:06

6. As I see it, the problem is tribalism with a superiority complex. The solution is a recognition that there is a problem and the willingness to be a party to reconciliation and associated learning opportunities. Many of us who are not WASP have experienced varying degrees of prejudice by the dominant culture and yet exhibit many of the same behaviors of “them vs. us”. These are all learned behaviors and processes of inculturation. They are correctable when there is the will to do so. I’m here to tell you that being part of the collective of the “chosen people” has a downside. However, most of us can hide in plain sight. The full force of the bigotry is reserved for the different hues of humanity. That said, anyone has the right to be an asshole.
    There are good people on both sides. I hope.

Comment by nationofnope — May 22, 2018 @ 15:48

• Well said. I think it will change when people can have empathy for the other. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2018 @ 16:57