June 1, 2018

As they are trying to do in the US on gay rights, women’s rights, science, sexual rights, gender rights, labor rights, unions, and anything not accepted by illiterate desert dwellers 2000 years ago. Hugs

Filed under: Atheism, Cartoons, Health, History, Memes, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 08:19

(story here) .. (cartoon by Joel Pett)

1. Regardless of who you are and what you believe, we are all humans and all deserve equal human rights. We don’t have to agree with everyone all the time to allow them to live life the way they see fit.

Comment by Ben — June 1, 2018 @ 08:28

• I agree. I just wish more people would let others live unfettered by religious beliefs they do not share. As you know I am a married openly gay man and all my life I have faced bigotry and even dislike nearing hatred by those who used their faith to demonize me and to deny me any rights that they themselves enjoy. Since marriage equality became the law of the land these religious groups have taken every opportunity to chip away at that right, they are trying to make it meaningless in the eyes of the law. You can get married but you don’t have the benefits of being married like opposite sex couples do. They wouldn’t like it much of others did the same to their marriage rights. They really want me and all LGBT to disappear and not clutter up their god world with our evil beings. Matt Powell, the new fire brand 22 year old preacher all over YouTube is saying that gays should be executed by the government. He says the bible calls for their death so he supports killing gay people. Nice way to see your fellow humans. He did admit they also should kill the adulterers and allowed for the killing of really disobedient kids, but mainly he felt gays were gross, horrible, evil, and god hated them. I guess god was not strong enough to kill the gays he created, so Powell wanted the government to do it for god. It was hard growing up with this hate in your face, it is hard to lose jobs because someone finds out you are gay, it is hard to be denied promotions because you are in a same sex marriage, it is hard to ignore the bigots who won’t even educate themselves but expect you to honor their own views.

On a better note Ben. Ron and I bought a new car yesterday. We were well treated and the experience was good. the finance guy at the dealership told our sales lady that we “were such a cute couple” and that we “were one of the nicest couples he had met in a long while”. So there are people who do not judge or hate, but they are not as vocal as the ones that do. Thanks again for the comment Ben, hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 1, 2018 @ 09:32

• There can be no forgiving such ugliness. It’s one of the things that long ago convinced me the Abrahamic religions are nothing but a mental disease which humanity needs to be cured of.

It is happening, though. Not many people today would agree with Powell, and even fewer would openly say so (though Trump has emboldened some of them). Most people are disgusted at such rhetoric. Every year there are fewer bigots and more people like your car dealers.

Comment by Infidel753 — June 1, 2018 @ 10:40

• Yes and I am grateful we are getting more accepting and understanding. Just before we left the dealership our sales lady shared a bit of her personal family with us. She told us her brother had been born her sister and she had seen the discrimination he had faced. She was also glad it was changing. I made the comment that knowing people who are different makes you more understanding and accepting of other people. LGBTQ people get accepted and understood as more people realize they have friends and family who are LGBTQ. If you know and are around people of different ethnic backgrounds or skin colors you tend to be more accepting and less bothered by those things. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 1, 2018 @ 11:42

• Scottie, all I can say is that religion is a poison. When you’re in it and you believe it, its the cure to all poisons. But when you see the lies for what they are and wake up to the reality that it was all made up, you can see clearly that religion is the problem, not the solution.

Straight people are people. Gay people are people. Adulterers are people. Disobedient kids are people. We are all equal and are all entitled to basic human decency…if there is such a thing anymore. Calling for killing of kids, gay people or anyone else is abhorrent. When I was still a Christian, we were told in the church that homosexuality was wrong. It was sinful and evil. During that time, I worked with several gay people (and still do) and they were no different than anyone else. I had no issues whatsoever with them. The church told me to condemn them but (being the poor Christian that I was) I treated them the same as anyone else. That was the right thing to do then and it is the right thing to do now. Who you are attracted to has nothing to do with you as a person and what you have to offer to society. Being straight hasn’t made me better in any way whatsoever.

I am sorry you had so much hate being thrown at you during your life. I’d like to think it was ignorance. You know, people who thought they were right, but didn’t know any better. Sadly, some people know exactly what they are doing and are just full of hate and prejudice. I am glad to hear you had a good experience when buying your car. Nice to see there are some good people left in this world. Congrats on the new car. 🙂

Comment by Ben — June 1, 2018 @ 12:27

2. and anything not accepted by illiterate desert dwellers 2000 years ago.

This is the problem with taking some particular book as the immutable and infallible word of God. One’s moral (and scientific, though that’s a separate issue) development gets locked in at whatever level people had reached at the time it was written. As the world progresses, the book-based taboo system falls further and further behind.

In this case, it’s even worse since the Bible was indeed the product of backward pastoralists living on the fringes of civilization. The advanced Classical Greek, Roman, and Persian cultures accepted homosexuality as normal and unremarkable. The authors of the Bible were the backwoods hicks of their time. But that’s what Christianity has fobbed off on the Western world as the supposed source of morality.

Comment by Infidel753 — June 1, 2018 @ 10:33

• Yes, I agree. I don’t understand how people can put their minds in such different places at the same time. They want the medical and lifestyle scientific advancements of today, yet they struggle to maintain the emotional and moral levels of 2000 years ago. I think it would make their heads hurt. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 1, 2018 @ 11:37

3. I’m beginning to feel it’s going to take something horrible to happen worldwide to get rid of religion and maybe nothing will ever accomplish that. Unless it’s AI and they won’t be programmed with religion or in the far future, if man is still around, his own brain can be programmed to eliminate hate, bigotry, prejudice…in other words, eliminate religion totally. It is so destructive.

Seriously, I think one problem is that the moderate and liberal denominations don’t speak up against the extreme ones. And I have read their numbers (moderates) are decreasing and the fundamentalists and evangelicals are on the rise and in other countries as well.

There’s some quote about “evil happens when good men do nothing.” I think that is where we are at.

Also I love Ben’s response to you. Wonderful!

Comment by maryplumbago — June 1, 2018 @ 15:30

• Thanks Mary. That they are on the rise is scary news indeed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 1, 2018 @ 16:17

4. Dear Scottie. I think you are accusing the false ones. If you really accuse the right ones it would be those Oldtestamentarians – Their Religion was founded by the fairytail book called bible 6000 years ago. Their god even nowadays is the god of hate and war and power for men and obedience for all others.
    “by illiterate desert dwellers 2000 years ago”: This would mean the time of Jesus Christ, apostrophed as the god of love – those who call themselves Christians, obeyeing the laws of Jesus Christ , the whole world would be better.
    The terrible thing about religion nowadays is, that nearly noone – even of the Roman Catholics has internalized the law of Jesus Christ: “Love each other!”
    The reason for that is, that even the catholics preach hate and war and sin.
    So all the hate in the world comes from fairytalebook bible, written 6000 years ago, which was definitely written for 70 Million people in Palestine, and not for – as it nowadays says: 7,55 Billion earth inhabitants.
    Its really a pity that some thousands of religios shit, succeed in telling the world about the rules of a shitbook called bible, written 6000 years ago for only 70 Million people in palestine.

Comment by miles — June 2, 2018 @ 13:52