June 9, 2018

Elections matter and make a big difference. Bigotry is alive and well in the christian community in Tennessee.

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Bigotry, Harm, Homosexual, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 11:07

Some of the information at the link.

Remember Jeff Amyx, the Tennessee hardware store owner who put up a sign saying “No Gays Allowed” in his window back in 2015?

He just put the sign back up again after the SCOTUS ruling in favor of the Colorado baker who refused to make a cake for a same-sex wedding:

He told WBIR that he was celebrating a “win” after the Supreme Court narrowly ruled in favor of a Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple…

“Christianity is under attack. This is a great win, don’t get me wrong, but this is not the end, this is just the beginning,” he said. “Right now we’re seeing a ray of sunshine. This is ‘happy days’ for Christians all over America, but dark days will come.”

1. Appalling

Comment by jim- — June 9, 2018 @ 11:13

• Thank you Jim. If more people like you speak up, business wouldn’t do this. They would be afraid of offending not just gay people, but every decent person. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 11:15

• If this guy was in Washington he wouldn’t dare. He’s surrounded by other bigots and is proudly displaying the subterfuge others are suppressing

Comment by jim- — June 9, 2018 @ 11:18

2. It is appalling. We must stop the radicals who-will be satisfied with nothing less than a white Christian patriarchy. Trump has unleashed the dogs of bigotry and hatred with not a soul body to stop him.

Comment by House of Heart — June 9, 2018 @ 11:34

• Thank you. I agree. The more decent people who stand up and say bigotry and discrimination is wrong, the faster it will die off. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 11:42

3. “Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible.” – Maya Angelou. The poison of bigotry, discrimination and just plain hatred infests the small minded, those that refuse to accept anything or anyone that is outside of their narrow views.

Comment by Ellen — June 9, 2018 @ 12:01

4. Appalling. Disgusting, and shameful.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — June 9, 2018 @ 13:30

5. What do you think would happen, I wonder, if I placed a sign in the window of my car repair shop that read, “No Christians! EVER!” Hmmm, I wonder.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — June 9, 2018 @ 13:32

• Persecution ! They would cry all the way to congress, to every court of the land, and to high infidel tRump. How could anyone be so mean they would demand to know. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 13:46

• I would think, technically, you should be allowed to post such a sign after the recent ruling. But with tRumpsky in charge, you’d undoubtedly end up in jail. But also a celebrity because the news media would be all over it.

I’m very close to writing a blog on this. Still percolating.

Comment by Nan — June 9, 2018 @ 14:08

• The ruling was narrow and only on the procedural grounds of the actions of the commission, so I have read. Justice Kennedy repeatedly wrote in the decision that gay people must not be discriminated against and that gay people must be accorded equal rights. So I am not sure what would happen if Jeff posted a “no Christians Allowed” sign. But they would try to stone him. I look forward to reading your post. S,B, did one also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 14:19

• Just read SB’s post. As usual, he presents a measured response and offers some food for thought.

Comment by Nan — June 9, 2018 @ 14:22

• I changed the fonts, is is better now? Yes I like his post also. Wish I had the like button on the bottom of posts back but I don’t so I will have to deal with it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 14:23

• Better … but date still gets in the way of the first line of a comment. Also, I notice I have to click twice to “Reply” and again to “Post Comment.” Weird.

But really, Scottie … it’s your blog so if you’re happy with it, that’s what is important.

Comment by Nan — June 9, 2018 @ 14:28

• I have to go do dishes and laundry, tonight I will figure it out. Thanks. I do want it to look right and I can not see it as others do. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 14:29

• I’m tellin’ ya’, DEEP STATE!! CONSPIRACY!!! OBAMA!!! HER EMAILS!!!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — June 9, 2018 @ 14:36

• The dishes here are a conspiracy. In fact the whole house work thing is a plot to keep me from my computers and blogging. Help me mother of god, I need a maid. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 15:35

• Oh, I agree. It’s your store so do whatever you want. It’s a stupid business decision to not make money from certain customers, but it is your choice, I guess, to be an idjit. Thus, like you said, you SHOULD be able to put up a “No Christians” sign, but, if you did, it wouldn’t get to the Supreme Court because your shop would be burned to the ground and you’d be drawn and quartered in the street. Christians are friggin’ hypocritical mo’fo’s. They INFURIATE me with their double standard. A-holes!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — June 9, 2018 @ 14:34

6. I went to the Friendly Atheist article and found out that he’s in the middle of nowhere. He most likely hasn’t had to personally deal with the consequences of his actions. At least he’s telling people what kind of a person he is without hiding it. If I ever saw a business with a sign like that on the front, I’d know not to spend my money there.

Comment by Sirius Bizinus — June 9, 2018 @ 16:26

• Thank you S.B. I did not realise he was remote. Narrow thinking on my part I just assumed he was in a town like mine. I don’t know about anyone else, but I feel like I have been fighting uphill in a sleet storm all my life fighting discrimination for being gay, and just when I thought we had turned a corner and had found equality many are still trying to yank it away from me. I am getting too old and tired to keep up the fight. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 16:30

• To be fair, the guy probably couldn’t get away with a sign like that in a more populated area. He’ll be more likely to meet people who disagree with what he’s doing, and aren’t afraid to tell him. Anybody can be bold if they don’t have to deal with the confrontation directly.

In a way, he’s helpful to show people why hating others isn’t a good thing. This guy has to live in a small town, away from others, without knowing all the nice people in the world.

Comment by Sirius Bizinus — June 9, 2018 @ 16:36

7. Saw this…..knew this crap would happen as soon as I saw the Supreme Court vote. People that do this are the worst kinds of people

Comment by maryplumbago — June 9, 2018 @ 17:34

• Yup, I agree. Hopefully we can overcome this also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 18:11

8. In Canada this would be prosecuted as a hate crime. Honestly don’t know how reasonable Americans allow this shit to fly.

Comment by Notes To Ponder — June 11, 2018 @ 03:23