June 9, 2018

I figured out the problem and it was me.

Filed under: My Life and Rants, News — Scottie @ 15:51

Special thanks to Nan and Jeff who tried to help me out.  I went through everything hard before trying the simple things.  I changed settings and read help blogs.  I queried WordPress and forums.  I even changed my theme and now can not get the old one back.  Then as I was doing the dishes it hit me.  Different browsers show pages differently sometimes.   Sure enough when I opened my blog page with a different browser there was all the buttons I had been missing.  So I went back to doing dishes and thinking.  “What was the difference between the two browsers”? I asked myself.  Well the second one I don’t use and did not add all my personal settings and apps.  I have gotten lazy and stopped keep several browsers all up to date my personal wishes as I only use one now.  Well what app could I have on the one I use that would cause it to stop showing me the buttons I need.   Then it hit me.  I have a strict ad blocker.  I recently reset to not even allow social media apps and links because of privacy concerns.  What I did not connect was when I did that it blocked the buttons I needed.  I thought it was WordPress but in truth it was the ad blocker I installed and tightened up.   I then allowed the social media buttons again and everything came back.   Now I have a problem.  My old theme displayed well for everyone.  I like a wide full writing area with a right sidebar for displaying all the miscellaneous stuff.   However both Nan and Miles tell me it doesn’t display correctly.  If that is the case it is no good to me and I will look for another.  The old one I had I can not find in the theme store, and I can use either free or Premium as I pay for the upgraded themes.  I find selecting a theme to be a pain in the butt.   So thanks again to everyone who helped me out, sorry I am an idiot sometimes.  If you have a theme suggestion , let me know.  Hugs

1. Back in 2013, I thought about changing my blog’s theme. You’re right, going through them is a pain in the butt. Rather than change themes, I upgraded to customize the one I have. There are themes that Word Press no longer supports so if I changed Themes and decided to go back to the old one, I would not be able to do so.

The newer Themes that have no borders and no menus unless you know to click on the three lines at the top, are a real pain to follow. There’s no home page, no About page. There are also Themes that do not display any post other than the most recent, with no way of accessing prior posts.

I like the Theme you’re using now, but it could possibly use “Recent Posts” on the border. There might be a widget that you can add for that.

Comment by Xena — June 9, 2018 @ 17:55

• Thank you, I will look into that. I also found I couldn’t go back to the old theme that was so good a fit for me. Some people manage to change themes all the time, but I have not done so in years. Now I have to make sure it works for my viewers. I will see if I can find a recent post widget, but I do have a widget for post per month and per subject. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 18:08

• On the Admin side of your blog, on the left border, should be “Appearance”. When hovering over it, there are sub-menus, one which says “Widgets”. Click on that. The widgets are in alphabetical order. Scroll down to “Recent Posts”. It might ask that you click or drag it and give you options of putting it on a right-side or left-side border. On the right-side of the page, you should see how your right-side border is setup and you can drag “Recent Posts” to where you want it to appear.

Comment by Xena — June 9, 2018 @ 18:22

• Thank you. When I get a few minutes I will do that. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 18:25

• OK, I had to go in the old way through the wordpress menu as the way you suggested simply wouldn’t display, but I got it done. So it is now just under the search and before the archive on the right side. Thanks again. Keep giving suggestions . Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 18:55

• Yay!!! It looks good. I only know of the old way. I don’t use any device to access the internet other than my desktop or laptop. Although Word Press offers “new and improved” ways of doing things, I stick to the old way because that is what I know and am most comfortable with.

Comment by Xena — June 9, 2018 @ 19:08

2. Ugh. I know what you mean. I thought about changing my theme too, a while back. Luckily I made a new blog and tried them out on /that/. Most are severely disfunctional unless you’re 14 and grew up using only mobile phones. 😦

Comment by acflory — June 9, 2018 @ 18:22

• Oh so true. The kind of blog I want wouldn’t look good on a phone anyway. I am just embarrassed that it took me so long to figure out the problem. I use to do that as my job, and I was really good at it. Like any skill, stop using it and you take time getting back in the grove. Be well and best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 18:24

3. Scottie, if you know the name of your old blog, type it in “search.” Sometimes WP won’t have it in their list but it’s still available through the original developer.

And remember … your visitors/followers may not like the one you choose/have … but it’s YOUR blog and YOU are the only one you have to please. 🙂

Comment by Nan — June 9, 2018 @ 18:32

• Thank you Nan. I understand that. However I want my viewers to have as few problems as possible. That way they may come back more often. I get a decent amount of traffic, and I would like to keep the people coming to my blog. My old blog was “silver is the new black” but I didn’t see a place to search it. Jeff said the new format looked ok when he viewed it, but you mentioned a problem with the comments being blocked out by the date. I want to fix all that. Then I can be done with it and forget it for years like I did the old one. Sadly despite having gone to school for computer repair and done years of minor software writing I dislike the having to change everything and would prefer to concentrate on getting my posts out to people who would like to read them. I have met such grand people, you included, on these blog posts I want to keep doing good content that is informative, thought provoking, and fun. Hope that makes sense. Please let me know where that search thing was. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 18:42

• “Silver is the new black” was the name of your old theme? That’s a pretty long name. In any case, I typed in that name plus “wordpress theme” and nothing came up. 😦 Are you SURE this was the name? I found a “Silverclean Lite.”

The date isn’t “blocking out” the comments, it’s just at the end of the first line of the comment and is distracting.

Comment by Nan — June 9, 2018 @ 18:54

• No I am not sure, but Nan , I had that theme since like 8 years ago. I am just not one to change what is working. Now I am not sure what it was. But if this one works for people viewing it, I am happy. It is wide and clear to write on, and has a clear font. I dislike background colors or stuff that makes it hard to read so I am happy as long as it displays correctly and people can easily read it. Thanks for your help, I feel foolish it took me all this time to realize the problem. Really all this time I thought it was WordPress, and now I find out it was an app I updated and made stricter. OH well I goof now and again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2018 @ 18:59

• OH well I goof now and again. HA!! Don’t we all? 😛

Comment by Nan — June 9, 2018 @ 19:04

4. It’s clean, it’s readable, and it’s a perfect example of why I stick with stodgy old Blogger. Im stodgy too, and all this tweaking and twitching to get things right would have me hysterical by now. But I like this just fine, Scotty

And dont feel foolish, I spend half my life trying to fit the left foot into the right glove…=)

Comment by judyt54 — June 10, 2018 @ 21:41