July 6, 2018

Can you tell the difference ??

Filed under: Cartoons, Harm, Memes, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 18:18

Thumbnail

1. Indeed. As I believe you said in one of your videos, Christianity today appears more benign than Islam only because it’s been “de-fanged” — most self-identified Christians don’t truly fervently believe any more. Back when they did, during the Dark Ages, there were religious wars, persecution of minorities, torture and mass execution of heretics, witches, and gay people — even more brutal and murderous than Dâ’ish (ISIL). And if the Christian Right today actually started enforcing the rules that are in the Bible, it would be Hell on Earth all over again.

Even Christians should worry about this. Once religion is allowed an open guiding role in government, the question becomes which sect or group of sects gets to have its views enforced. Extreme Evangelical fundamentalists regard the Catholic Church as Satanic (yes, really), and hard-line Catholics consider Protestants to be heretics. That stuff got awfully ugly for the couple of centuries following the Reformation — which is one of the reasons our country’s founders decided to keep religion out of government.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 6, 2018 @ 19:36

• Maybe it is because of the news feeds I read, but domininist are more vocal today than ever before according to what I read. I just got done reading several articles of attempts to push religious laws into the federal legal system, and to push religious people into elected office, with the single goal of promoting their religious views on the rest of the country. In fact the whole supreme court argument now is being pushed by concerns that the religious right is convinced they will get a justice that will rule on their religious views rather than the rule of law. As a gay man, religion has never been my friend, and neither would a legal system built on a religious denomination. Have you heard of Matt Powell? A 22 yr old firebrand preacher want to be who has made a name for himself going on atheist YouTube sites claiming we need religious laws and that gays, and unruly children, along with adulterers and a few others, must be executed by the government. He is adamant and convinced and very vocal. Granted he was raised in a strict religious home, homeschooled, and now deep in his church, but he doesn’t care to see any other view. He doesn’t want to get out of that mindset. He is in college and could, but he just gets louder and more strident about the need for his god to take over the government. Those people scare the crap out of me. The ones in congress scare the crap out of me, the evangelical church leaders trying to get their flocks to vote lock step scare the crap out of me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 6, 2018 @ 19:49

• Oh and I agree with you on the religious wars that would result if anyone christian group got power over the others. Bloody it would be. All of us would be screwed. Have a good night. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 6, 2018 @ 19:51

2. If I was younger, I’d get the hell out of this country. It’s gonna get worse I’m afraid and your other post about Sharia Christian law is spot on!

Comment by maryplumbago — July 7, 2018 @ 08:35

• I’m not sure leaving the country is a viable plan long-term. Quite a few people fled Germany in the 1930s for Denmark or Holland, only to have the problem catch up to them a few years later. I’m not saying I would expect a Dominionist-dominated US to actually invade Canada or Europe, but the nature of this problem is such that the effects can’t be fully contained within one country. Look at 9/11 and the London and Madrid subway bombings, which were really just overflow from the Islamic civil war raging within the Middle East. Authoritarian regimes are always hostile to democracies abroad, which provide hope and inspiration to their own subjects.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 7, 2018 @ 09:55

• Well said. What do you think the chances are the midterm elections will turn things around? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 7, 2018 @ 10:10

• What do you think the chances are the midterm elections will turn things around?

That depends how big the “blue wave” is going to be, concerning which we have conflicting data. Polling shows Democrats with an advantage of just a few percentage points, rising barely above 10 points in a few polls. The scattering of special elections over the last year has shown massive swings from R to D, on the order of 20 or 30 points in some cases (my favorite example is Allison Ikley-Freeman, an avowed socialist and lesbian who won a state senate seat in an Oklahoma district which Trump had carried 62% to 33%). The question is which of these sets of data more accurately predicts what’s going to happen nationally this November.

There is one way that the polling could be consistently way off. Pollsters have to make assumptions about how many people in each demographic category will actually vote, and generally they model their predictions on previous elections. If Trump’s awfulness is motivating high turnout in groups that previously have not voted in such numbers — such as Hispanics and young people — and/or is depressing the Republican vote, then the polls could be failing to capture the real magnitude of the coming blue wave. I’ve seen some anecdotal evidence that this could be the case. We’d be foolish to count on it, though.

The real question is control of Congress and state governments. I expect we’ll get control of the House — by a little if the wave is small, by a lot if it’s large. The Senate is a lot harder just because of the electoral map. We’re defending a lot of seats in red states and have a realistic chance at gaining just two (Arizona and Nevada). If we win those two and hold every seat we already have, we’d manage a 51-49 majority. Some say there’s a chance in Texas and Tennessee, but we’d need a truly gargantuan blue wave to win those. The Senate map in 2020 is a lot more favorable, though.

I think we have a better shot at the state legislatures and governorships that are up, and those are important — they’ll control redistricting after the 2020 census. But I don’t know about those races in detail. I just know there are a lot of blue and purple states currently run by Republicans, and they should be vulnerable.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 7, 2018 @ 10:49

• I worry, but I think we have time to fight back. It is limited. This midterm election is critical. But I want to create the fair progressive country I see in some of the European countries, Sweden and Switzerland to name two. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 7, 2018 @ 10:07

• I’d love to see the US as becoming a fair progressive country, but let’s face it, there’s way too much religion here and the liberal and moderate religions don’t stand up to the far right ones. They are getting squeezed out by the extremes.

Comment by maryplumbago — July 7, 2018 @ 13:17

• Time and work may tell. The country polls progressive on every issue, but as more regressives are motivated to vote than progressives the regressives win. Now it is key to getting out the progressive / Democrat vote. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 7, 2018 @ 14:16

3. The only presidents that I can even compare Tr*mp to is Johnson and Andrew Jackson. And let me tell ya’, as a fairly liberal resident of Tennessee, that’s NO compliment.

Comment by Charity — July 7, 2018 @ 13:04

• Thank you Charity. I hope things have been good for you and your family. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 7, 2018 @ 14:15

• They’re not, but Im working on a plan to leave in the next year or two. You can only hope, cry and seek mental health help for so long. At some point, you have to leave a person who values himself as greater than you and the kids.

Comment by Charity — July 7, 2018 @ 14:20

• I am so sorry. I had wished the move would make things better. You have my best wishes and if you need anything I can do, let me know. Please take care of yourself and the children. Warm caring Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 7, 2018 @ 14:28

• Thank you, Scottie. I will still see my therapist every other week and then a little less in a few months. I believe that our sessions will be more focused on getting back on my feet and eventually return to work part time after being a SAHM for 14 years . I have to be cautious as to how I do it. My parents are both narcissists, this isn’t my first rodeo in escaping such a person by any means. I’ve learned by experience that there’s a lot of planning involved, while protecting my kids. Unfortunately, that means I may have to leave them in the dark about the details. I haven’t told them about my plan yet. I don’t think I will any time soon. You know that’s not how I parent. However, for this specifically, it may be necessary.

Comment by Charity — July 7, 2018 @ 14:38

• Please be careful, I worry about you. Leaving a spouse can be dangerous. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 7, 2018 @ 14:41

• Thanks. I know. We’ve been kind of keeping to ourselves more and more this year. He’s about to have another busy streak here soon. He’ll be around even less until about Thanksgiving. We’ve not had much of a loving marriage for at least a decade. I’m not just waiting on building up funds to leave, I’m also looking at child custody laws. In my state, children can choose their guardian in a divorce at 12. Mine just turned 13 and 10. That’s why I’m hoping to leave no sooner than a year from now, no later than two years from now. I will let you go. Thank you for your concern, Scottie. I just want to focus on my kids, house and myself for a few years. With all of my oppressive years with my parents, Jesus and marriage, I just want to focus on being a free agent for a while. Plus my boys will continue to need me to themselves when we leave. Between that and getting back to work, I won’t have the time and energy to consider anyone else. Thank you again for your love and understanding, Scottie. You are loved and appreciated.

Comment by Charity — July 7, 2018 @ 14:54

4. Wow! Thought-provoking. Hugs Scottie!

Comment by jilldennison — July 8, 2018 @ 03:59