July 19, 2018

Damn Traitors : an angry Scottie Rant

Filed under: My Life and Rants, News, Political, Questions, Reason — Scottie @ 17:47

1. I agree with you Scottie. I urge everyone to get out and vote Democrat in November. The cowardly Republicans headed by that chinless, spineless, gutless, Mitch McConnell cannot be allowed to stand. Run them out on a rail. Impeach, and imprison the current dictator, and maybe we can have a decent holiday season.

Good to rant! Good for you!

Comment by Paul — July 19, 2018 @ 19:43

2. I hear you. Trump has been blatantly favoring the interests of a foreign dictatorship over those of the US, in a situation where that foreign dictatorship had attacked the US — not with military weapons but with cyberweapons in an effort to subvert our democracy. It’s hard to see how that could fail to meet the Constitutional definition of treason. We’ve never had a situation like this before.

I can understand how the minds of the right-wing Christians — the core of Trump’s base — are working. They’ve been losing the culture wars for over fifty years (actually for about four hundred years, but I’m talking about what’s most prominent in the minds of people alive today). They know they’re a shrinking minority in the US. As you say, in a pluralistic society, their right to swing their fists ends where our noses begin, but they don’t believe in a pluralistic society. They believe their religion’s taboo system should rule over the lives of everybody, Christian or not. Putin is probably not much of a believer personally any more than Trump is, but he’s transforming Russia into a Christian authoritarian state and is enforcing the taboo system. To our Christian Right, Putin’s Russia is the last hope of imposing Christian dominance and taboos on the world. At this point that’s more important to them than whatever patriotism they claim. So their support of Trump and his alliance/subservience to Putin makes a kind of sense.

I spent two months in Germany in 1984 (maybe I was even there at the same time you were). It’s probably the least likely place on Earth to go fascist now, since it has those memories of where fascism leads. I remember meeting an old guy who had actually fought on the Russian front during World War II, who told me about all the things like student exchange programs the government has with other countries, to encourage people to develop a more cosmopolitan view of the world. He told me, “The young people today are much more aware. They’ll never let themselves be tricked into hating, like we were.”

I feel the anger and frustration too, because no matter what Trump does, nothing seems to change and there’s not much we can do until the election. The Republicans in Congress won’t move against Trump because they’re afraid of his base. Only if Trump starts losing support from that base on a large scale will they dare to do anything. I do hope we’ll see that, though, from the effects of the tariff wars. For the first time, Trump voters themselves are actually getting hurt by his policies, instead of just watching other people get hurt.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 20, 2018 @ 07:57

• Well said, very well said. Yes I was in West Berlin in 1984. I read this morning that wages dropped in the first quarter of 2018. The tax cut did not raise wages as promised but instead wages are contracting. As you say the tariffs are hurting huge sectors of the economy, especially the farming states. I also read that while the steel tariff may increase steel jobs by 26,000 it will cost almost 500,000 jobs in other areas. Just as the tRump administration favoring coal over renewable energy did not increase coal jobs any real amount, it did cost thousands of jobs in the renewable energy sectors. I admit I am discouraged, because otherwise reasonable people keep supporting tRump and some even tell me I have to play fair and be civil when the other side doesn’t try to do that at all. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2018 @ 10:28

3. You are a teddy bear even when angry. Your eyes are too kind my friend.
    /hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — July 20, 2018 @ 09:13

• Thank you dear Lady. I am just so frustrated by all of this. I feel I should be doing more , something, anything , to break through the wall some people have surrounded themselves with. I do worry for the country. I worry for the future. Kids in cages, no human should support that. Heck I have read news reports of parents who have been charged with child abuse for putting their children in cages rather than watch them. You would tear someone apart with your bare hands if they tried to take your child. Yet part of our country thinks it is ok, because they are brown kids, or from a different place. They are still humans and human children. I really think what Infidel753 wrote is true. Some people simply want a christian theocracy at any cost, even at the cost of our human rights. Thanks for letting me vent. Best wishes for you and your family. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2018 @ 10:35

• Oh I fully understand where the anger comes from. I was angry about the cages when I found out Obama did it. I’m equally angry with the current president. I do understand the law was meant to stop human trafficking and take children from dangerous people. But not every one who crosses our boarder (even “illegally”) is a horrible human trafficker and drug dealing gang member.

I was just saying your heart shows through your eyes and I could still see your kindness more than your anger. It’s an endearing quality you have. Don’t ever lose that kindness in your eyes my friend. You have an incredible heart and passion.

/much love and big hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — July 20, 2018 @ 10:48

4. I hear you and totally agree. Fuck Trump! Fuck the GOP, and fuck Trumpanzees!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — July 20, 2018 @ 11:35