July 29, 2018

An update on my health

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants, News — Scottie @ 09:40

I have waited a while to write this post to see if I could get some improvement, but it seems I have to accept what is.  As most who come here know I have a problem with my bones, and have all my life.   I had to have my right hip replaced in 2004, and my left hip just last year.   I have damage to the spine, both the bone vertebra and the disc material in different spots.  The muscles of the back are thickened and not responding correctly due to years of trying to protect the spine.   The bone problem has also been part of and caused other health issues.

After my left hip operation it was hoped I would be able to walk normally unsupported and I hoped I could do things like bike ride or go back to work in the medical field.   This seemed possible even though I was struggling with pain and lack of strength.    So even though I did not notice the getting worse, others did.

About a month ago something happened.   I suddenly was having trouble walking again.  My left leg was not responding and there was horrible pain in the muscle in the front of the leg and the knee felt as if it was destroyed.   Same with the right leg , but the left was much worse.  It came on suddenly it seemed, and was intermittent.  I could bend the knee with no problem when there was no weight on it.   I was better sometimes than others.   Some times I simply couldn’t walk even with a cane.

As it happened I was already scheduled to see the pain doctor.  When I told her what was going on she knew what was wrong right away.   I had a MRI last year this time and it showed damage to my  L4-L5 and L5-S1 along with other spots.   Seems the nerves through the L4 and L5 come right around to the muscles in the front of the leg and the knee.    Seems that I have more damage in that area of my back and it is effecting my left leg much more than my right.

The doctor looked again at the old MRI, figured that the damage got worse.  I have to wait a year for another MRI to be covered under the insurance.  We talked about what to do going forward.  Seems things will not go as I had hoped.   Surgery is not recommended and in fact discouraged as it offers little gain and the results are normally to worsen the problem.   The goal now is to keep me walking with support, and to manage the pain as best we can.   That day they gave me a spinal block, a shot into the spine at those locations.   I will have to have these at least every two months.  I also will be starting the trigger point injections again.   I am using a cane most of the time, except a bit in the house.

The situation looks like I will be needing a scooter  again soon.  I had to have one when I was in a wheelchair.  My first surgeon told me I would be needing a wheelchair as I aged and it seems he was correct.  I also may have to go back on the stronger medications.

The good news is this is not life threatening and can be managed.   Yesterday Ron and I went out for breakfast and had planned to go shopping at several stores.  I was able to walk into the restaurant but at the first store I started to have trouble with walking and increased pain.  After the second store which was just a few minutes to get one item , I asked Ron to bring me home.  He did the rest himself.

I did get really upset over this but that has passed now.  It is part of my life I knew about and have faced before.   I will enjoy everything the best I can.   I have a great support system, great doctors, a home, and a wonderful grand husband.  I just had to wrap my mind around this set back and what it would mean for the future.

I just wanted to let you all know my plans for the future have changed and why.   Again I want to stress I knew this was possible and even likely.  I do feel I have it a lot better than many in my situation.  I do not feel like a victim in all this.  It is simply living life with health issues, each of us does this every day.   Thanks everyone.  Many hugs

1. Suffering with MS myslf I understand your thoughts. I will never know what the future will hold for me. The simplest chores in life can become a major effort. I walk with a stick, without I can do it, but quite an amusing style of walking to watch. Just hope I do not fall, and am thankful for my electric wheelchair which is a great help for my independence. Keep persevering,and always look forward. There is no other advice, miracle cures do not grow on trees unfortunately.

Comment by angloswiss — July 29, 2018 @ 10:19

• Thank you. I read your post where you fell. That is always a worry and it can be scary. I am sorry you got hurt. For me it was accepting the idea that I will have to deal with this the rest of my life. I wanted the limitations to be gone. I am grateful for what I have, as I know there are people worse off than I am. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 29, 2018 @ 10:22

2. I hope you are able to find a balance you can manage without debilitating pain Scottie so you can make these changes gradually and maintain walking to the last possible moment. Then grab the scooter with both hands and carry on shopping.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — July 29, 2018 @ 11:31

• Thank you David. I am doing my best. I just got upset because I thought the hip surgery would solve a lot of the problems. But I agree, make the best of what we have and enjoy life. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 29, 2018 @ 22:57

3. Sorry to hear this, my friend. I know how difficult chronic, disabling health problems are. I’ll keep you in my thoughts. $Amen$

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — July 29, 2018 @ 11:53

• Thank you my friend. I am well set up. Remember it was only a year ago I also couldn’t walk. I have a wheelchair, I have a walker with wheels. I have canes. I have access to stronger pain relief. Ron got a portable ramp last year and we can set it up as soon as needed, or build a permanent one if I need. The thing I will need to get , hopefully through medicare, is a scooter. and the carrier for the new car. If I am not going to be able to walk better than I can right now I have no way to get around doing things. It will work out. Be well, I know you have your own health fight to deal with. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 29, 2018 @ 12:32

• I find medicare to be quite good. It’s been very useful and helpful for me and my health issues. Hopefully Trump and the GOP won’t eliminate it like they want to. Bastards. Good to hear you’ve got such strong support. 🙂

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — July 29, 2018 @ 13:15

• I do not know how hard it is to get a scooter through medicare. I got my last one from the VA. Limited paperwork and everything seemed simple. I have heard from some people getting a scooter now is a real hassle. But may have to fight for it. I also think what is happening to health care is criminal. All congress people should have to answer for why they do not want people to have health care as they do. If the people have no health care, congress should have no health care. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 29, 2018 @ 13:18

4. I really feel for you having to deal with all of that. I hope they can get you pain-free or as close to it as possible. The pain can be the worst, not letting you focus or enjoy anything.

Watch out for creeping weight gain as well — that can be a real problem when mobility decreases.

It’s great that you have somebody so good to help you.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 29, 2018 @ 11:58

• Yes, I do have to watch the weight. Over the years of limited mobility I have gotten up to the mid 190’s. I have very little muscle tone now. I am reading the things you posted and I love them. Your weekly round up is grand. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 29, 2018 @ 12:35

5. Well, Scottie … you may not have physical health, but your blog abundantly shows you have plenty of mental health!

Hang in there, friend. I think I can speak for many when I say we send good thoughts for better days … or at least bearable ones. ❤

Comment by Nan — July 29, 2018 @ 12:05

• Thank you Nan. My blog and my computers are my outreach, my outlet, my way of being in the world. Gives me something to do. I have met some of the greatest people online, such as your self.
      Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 29, 2018 @ 12:37

6. Scottie, I clicked like to your post, but not because I like hearing about your health issues. It looks like you are staying positive, and that’s a good thing. The best to you!

Comment by Xena — July 29, 2018 @ 16:14

7. As you are in good hands, what is the most important, just want to assure you that never-giving-up is the right path also in difficult times, even my mother followed this mindful route many years ago although being struck by severe dementia the last 3 years before her decease. Wishing you all the best!

Comment by banactee — July 29, 2018 @ 16:31

8. Hi My Brother;

Playing catch up here…. Damn. Damn. Damn. You told me this may come to pass and I didn’t want to believe you. I want to rage at the universe and declare this unfair. Somebody in admin. needs a strongly worded letter.
    You are absolutely the best, my brother.

Hugs
    randy

Comment by randy — August 1, 2018 @ 18:56

• Thank you Randy. Gee I think HR is about to get an earful from you. 🙂 OK lets talk what is happening. I got to the point in the last two weeks where I couldn’t walk, even using a cane. I can walk better with my walker. They had me go back on full medication and they are talking I need to go back on narcotics. We are looking into a scooter for me , but Medicare has made it really hard to get, and my insurance through Ron’s work doesn’t pay anything for a scooter. I have my old one we can get fixed up, but it is not as good as I wanted. Plus the lift for the car is going to cost a fortune. Lifting one cost upper 3 grand. So we have a lot to think on. Ron said we will do it some how but I said no, I can not take 5 or 6 grand from the savings for this. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 1, 2018 @ 19:19

9. Well, Scottie … you may not have physical health, but your blog abundantly shows you have plenty of mental health!

Comment by Eric Johnson — August 6, 2018 @ 13:38

• Thank you Eric. I try to make my Toy Box a place people want to come visit, while I share my opinions of things. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 6, 2018 @ 16:11