July 30, 2018

Jeff Sessions Launches DOJ “Religious Liberty Task Force” To “Protect And Promote” Anti-LGBT Hate Groups

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Bigotry, Harm, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 12:27

This is why I fight against theism and religions.  They are attempting to take over a secular government and make it a theocracy, enshrining their religion only into the laws of this land.  A religious right to discriminate and to deny others civil rights is the laws the wish to create and protect.   To these people to deny them the right to discriminate and oppress others is persecution of their beliefs.   Please look over the article.  Thanks.  Hugs

1. Sessions is one of the most hypocritical disgusting and dangerous people out there. Trump goes along with this crap because of his looney base, but Sessions is the prime mover on this.

Comment by maryplumbago — July 30, 2018 @ 15:06

• I agree with most of what you said, but have to add that Pence is notoriously anti-gay and in fact tRump himself is both a racist and homophobic. Pence tried to take money from government aids projects and instead fund conversion therapy to turn gay people into straight people. Plus they have chosen people for cabinet positions that are really hateful bigots. Mike Pompano for one thinks being gay is a perversion. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 30, 2018 @ 15:13

• Oh yes Pence is obscene in his hatred and arrogance. Trump has gotten all these people on board because they speak the bigoted hatred of his cult.

Comment by maryplumbago — July 30, 2018 @ 16:34

• I know Pence is kind of dim, but surely even he should have noticed that “conversion therapy to turn gay people into straight people” doesn’t work.

Conversion of religionists into atheists, on the other hand, has been effective for millions of people. And it doesn’t even get government funding.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 30, 2018 @ 21:57

• Great point, but for Pence it did not matter the facts, nor the experts that talked to him. It was an abomination to his god, and he is sure his god can change you from gay to straight. His god couldn’t’ have made you gay because tat is yucky. Pence can not be reasoned with, he really is deeply in to the delusion that god hates gays and that God is real. Pence never changed his position that gays can be turned in to straights. He still thinks that. Because in his mind god will not create a person to be evil and being homosexual is evil choose, so the Christians must do all the can to wipe out the homosexuals. Very upsetting as we are now approaching a government like the Muslim ruled countries. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 30, 2018 @ 22:20

• And 40 years ago the majority of people would have agreed with him, because back then they saw gay people as alien demonic creatures who preyed on little kids and probably had something to do with Communism. Today more people than not actually know one or a few gay people personally. The old demonization doesn’t work when people’s image of a gay person is Uncle Ted or Alice in the accounting department at work. Pence’s brimstone-and-Leviticus crap is more comical than anything. He and fundies like them will probably believe it to their dying days, but they’re an increasingly ridiculous fringe group. Even the government can do only so much when the society is moving in the other direction.

By the way, Pence is not as admired among fundies-at-large as one might imagine. Many of them consider him a weakling because he caved “too easily” to the economic pressure applied to Indiana after the anti-gay law he signed there. This is significant since he’s likely to be President for the second half of Trump’s term. We know that pressure can make him back down.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 30, 2018 @ 22:49

• I hope you are correct, I really do . Thanks. hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 30, 2018 @ 22:52

2. Sessions? I hate the mother fucker. A lot!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — July 30, 2018 @ 15:24

• I hate what the whole group of them are doing to destroy the country including the environment and our civil rights. Heck they have about destroyed the ability of anyone not in the top class to survive with any dignity. The only thing this administration has grown has been the deficit and hatred. I am standing right there with you Jeff.
      Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 30, 2018 @ 15:52

3. Sessions, according to Joe’s post: “Such a reversal will not just be done with electoral victories, but by intellectual victories.”

Snort. People who believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and believe in a talking snake are going to win “intellectual victories”. They don’t win arguments, which is why they’ve been in steady retreat since they lost the power to burn people at the stake. Their attempts to use government power to back up their prejudices are just more bullying.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 30, 2018 @ 21:51

• Yes, you are very correct, but they scare me in their government reach right now. As a gay man in a 28 + year relationship, and a new marriage I feel my rights very threatened. I am very worried. There are too many attempts to make my marriage meaningless. Yet the same people doing this say it is due to their convictions as to a 2000 year old moral code that they insist on enshrining into our secular laws. And they are winning. Yes the followers of that cult are old and dying off, but they have manged to elect a president to pack the courts and change the direction of the country for at least a generation if not more. I recently made a video saying now it is personal, and it really is. If the Tony Perkins, the Ralph Reeds, , the Bryant Fischer, and the other vocal bigots have their way, I would be put in jail or executed for simply being gay. As it is my rights as a married gay man are under attack while the get married and then divorced a year later opposite group are given a pass as OK. It is very upsetting to see my rights disappear in a country I served in the military to protect. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 30, 2018 @ 22:11

• Your fears of their bullying, when it is backed up by government power, are certainly legitimate. And there’s no disputing the depth of the hate and malignancy that animates these people.

It’s important to remember, though, that the election of Trump was an freak anomaly caused by a “black swan” confluence of improbable events. He didn’t win a majority of the popular vote. The US public now accepts same-sex marriage by roughly a two-to-one margin, and acceptance of gay people (and rejection of religion) is higher in each age cohort the younger they are. The bigots are a shrinking minority. Any victories they win will be temporary. And so far their track record of actually translating their obsessions into concrete achievements is not impressive. There still isn’t even the beginnings of that stupid border wall Trump campaigned on, and even a Republican-majority Congress can’t or won’t vote funding for it. The things they have done, such as tormenting migrants with family separation or starting idiotic trade wars or attacking bits and pieces of the ACA (which they’ve still failed to actually repeal) have just whipped up the public against them, and the more things they actually accomplish the worse the blowback will be, because most of what they want to do is unpopular.

Yes, it is frightening. People have been hurt, and more people will be. But what they’re being hurt by is the final thrashings of a monster sinking into a tar pit. This will pass.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 30, 2018 @ 22:37

• I really hope you are correct. I think on the past and what I went through as an openly gay man, and I do not want to return to that bigotry and hatred in any way. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 30, 2018 @ 22:45

• I hear you. When I was a university student (I’m roughly the same age as you), my next-door neighbor was a gay man in his fifties, who had grown up in the period before and during World War II. He was the first gay person I got to know well. He told me a lot about stuff that had happened to him when he was a young man — beatings by gangs of thugs because he was gay and things like that. It was very disturbing to hear about (I’d had a rather sheltered life in most ways), and almost more disturbing that he kind of accepted it as normal, because in those days that was just what people did. It brought home to me how horrible bigotry is and what it can do to people.

And yes, it’s horrible that people like that still exist and still inflict misery, like in the case of the valedictorian you posted about, and that they’ve managed to get people like Trump and Pence into power. But they can’t turn the clock back. The changes in society are too vast and fundamental to be reversed.

Comment by Infidel753 — July 30, 2018 @ 23:02

• I do hope you are correct. I really do. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 30, 2018 @ 23:06

4. Hi Scottie;
    Playing “catch-up”…. been off your blog for a few days. You’ve been prolific!
    I find it interesting that the litmus test necessary to be considered a “fine upstanding member of society” is that one believes in God… and the “right” God. Many years ago I was told by a religion prof. that Satan (Lucifer, et al) absolutely knows God is real and can quote scripture by word, book and verse.
    hugs;
    randy

Comment by randy — August 1, 2018 @ 18:36

• What you say is a good example of why Pascals wager is so wrong. Also if a true deity wanted to communicate with a lower species and explain his demands why do we have between 30,000 and 4300 thousand different christian denominations? I hope all is well for you Randy, you are my only brother. I wonder have you ever wondered if Satan is really the hero of the bible? Think on it , he never killed anyone, but God sure did, and seemed to take joy out of it. I suggest a book for you, Memnoch the Devil
      Novel by Anne Rice. I loved it and it really opened worlds for me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 1, 2018 @ 19:07

• Dear Scottie, pls stopf talking about god or devil or satan, please stop talking about thirty-thousands denominations of god. they are all just showing the fear of mystifications. so we as atheists should not fear mystifictions nor should we fear “fear itself”. If we do, we are pretty close to the fear that breeds only fear again, And we get soon pretty close into depence of some kind of pseudoreligion at least – loosing our Freedom to think independently.
        (Poor Republicans just know the surrogates of freedom. Money and influence, which they can’t take with them when they die .And so Trump is really poor.)
        God does not exist, devil does not exist, hell does not exist, and so does heaven not exist. All that is SCIFI of fear. The only values that exist are humanity, empathy, civility and love. whereas money is just of necessity. as we have constructed our civilisation.

Comment by miles — August 2, 2018 @ 09:16

• Hello Miles my friend. I do not fear these myths. However I do fear what those who do believe in them will do if they are not opposed. See the reason I do posts on religion is because I see religion as a real threat to my self, my country, and democracy. I do the best I can to point out what is wrong with religions and how they are hurt both the people and the country. I agree that gods and devils do not exist and that they are not needed. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 2, 2018 @ 09:31

• Scottie, dear, this was not directly meant to you, it was meant into the direction of all your readers. If you talk about god and the devil and heavwen and hell, they might thinkyou really do think about ,,, and ,,, and… and … – and as the dont know you so well, they probably might thinbk , iscottie thinks about mystizism, who are we……. I think we schould give your readers no doubts, cause it is the doubtz that lea´ds them dire´ctely to the Fairybook bible – and all its lies.

Comment by miles — August 2, 2018 @ 12:11

• Ah, with the memes and cartoons I post making fun of religion, I think they get the point. It would be hard to read my posts on anything religious and think I support it. I think it is clear I am an atheist and an anti-theist. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 2, 2018 @ 12:14