August 7, 2018

Discrimination Against U.S. Christians—Like the “War” on Christmas—Is Fake News

Filed under: Atheism, Bigotry, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 13:25

1. Oh, no, no, no! Just wait until my next post; I’ll prove you wrong!

Comment by Nowhere Tribune — August 7, 2018 @ 13:57

2. I mostly agree with you even though I am Christian myself. I will say though that Christians who identify as LGBTQ+ experience crazy amounts of discrimination within their own churches. But my guess is that those are not the Christians that are referred to when talking about this.

Comment by Brendan Birth — August 7, 2018 @ 19:49

• No I wouldn’t think that they are. The fact is you hear constantly about why we need a religious freedom laws because the christian majority is being kept from fully enforcing their religion on the rest of us. They have had a place of privilege that give them rights in a secular society that no religion should have had. They hate that privilege is going away and they may have to share the country with both other religions and people who do not follow their gods rules of life. Think of it, no one is keeping them from worshiping their god, no one keeps them from their house of worship, no one insists they can not run for office , and in fact all the presidents of the US have been christians, so where again are they persecuted? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 7, 2018 @ 19:55

• We (and I’m speaking in the first person because I am a white straight Christian) really have been privileged for a long long time indeed. I forget who has said this, but it is sometimes said that equality feels like oppression to the group that used to dominate, even though it’s not oppression. I think that’s maybe applicable here.

Of course, what I’m saying here and I think what you are saying applies the most to white straight Christians (especially males). In other words, people like me.

Comment by Brendan Birth — August 7, 2018 @ 20:39

• Well said Brendan. I posted a meme a while ago that said preventing a christian from discriminating against others is not christian persecution. I mean white christians of either sex, but in fundamental christianity men do rule. No I don’t think people like you. Not at all. People like you couldn’t have answered the way you did and still be a person who felt taking rights form others was needed for you to be secure in your faith. You have commented before on my Toy Box and I can say I never felt you were a bigot nor closed minded. So no I do not think it is people like you that make religion a threat. Like I said I think your comment here was well said.

Please understand, I am not against personal faith. Your faith doesn’t affect me or anyone else until you try to force it on me, try to make me live by it. I have an issue with organized religion as I think they are a business out for money and control over people. Personal faith, no matter if in a deity or just a code of living is individual and personal to each of us. They can be good things that help us navigate life. I am talking oppressive ( mostly fundamentalist ) religions that want to stamp out civil rights to enforce an understanding of the world that is at least 2000 years out of date. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 7, 2018 @ 20:52

• Yes, I know you’re not against personal faith. 🙂 To the contrary I’ve found it actually kinda cool that you’ve noticed something I’ve noticed for a LONG time…that there is this sort of persecution complex that exists in some parts of Christianity (including some Christian friends of mine).

I do hope that many of my siblings of faith break out of that funk soon. I think too many of us are looking too inward, and in the process ignore the needs of those outside of our circles. I really hope that changes soon.

Comment by Brendan Birth — August 7, 2018 @ 21:56