August 8, 2018

Mysterious ways / preached at

Filed under: Atheism, Cartoons, Creator, Funny Stuff, Harm, Memes, News, Religion — Scottie @ 12:36

This morning Ron and I went to the grocery store for a few items.   I needed to use the men’s room at the store.  The store set up is a narrow doorway to area with the bathrooms for each gender off  each of the sides sides and a family bathroom direct ahead.  So one narrow door and then three doors.   Remember the set up , it gets important.   As I was exiting the men’s room two older ladies were about to come through the first narrow doorway.   Being a nice fellow, I stepped to the wall and motioned them to proceed.  They thanked me and I thought nothing more of it.   I feel being courteous and kind should be practiced when I can do so.    So as we left the store I noticed the two ladies in the parking lot looking around.   Again I thought nothing of it.  Then as I got into the car while Ron put the groceries in the hatch trunk, I noticed the ladies were now walking towards us.  They stopped at the car and I lowered the window, my thought was they needed help with something.  Nope!  They wanted to share their god with me.  Yup, right there in the hot sun in the parking lot.  They started to hand me literature while winding up into the sales pitch.  I broke in nicely and told them I was glad they had faith but I was an atheist.  Apparently to these ladies atheist was code for please tell me all about the bible.   Which one did while the other tried to put a leaflet in the window on my dash.   I could feel my temper rising.  I tried to stay calm and told the lady that in my opinion her bible was a man made book put together from texts chosen by men with the idea of controlling the masses.   That seemed to startle them like the idea was something no one had ever expressed to them, and I was really begging them to tell me why the bible was the word of god and how very true the book was.   The one lady kept asking me did I really not believe the bible and did I really think the bible was written by men.   Ron could tell my patience was running out and to forestall any outburst he told the ladies we had to go and ushered them away from the car.  As we were driving home I asked Ron why the ladies thought they had a right to approach people and just start in about their deity.  Can you imagine a atheist doing that , walking up to strangers and preaching to them about gods not existing?  They would go nuts on the atheist and claim harassment.  Yet these ladies had taken my original courtesy as a signal to preach to me about their holy book and their version of god.  I also think keeping going after being told you have no interest in the subject is really just harassment.

The above was the second grocery store we went to.  At the first one the cashier kept telling us about the blessed day, have a blessed day, she was so blessed this blessed day.   I want to tell her lord Satan thanked her for the blessing , but I figured she would have a melt down and try to do an Exorcism on the spot.   As I was in a hurry I refrained.  Again saying that once, OK, but to keep repeating it like a mantra to someone is simply harassment I feel.  I sure was not happy, and it should have showed if the woman had even cared what I thought of her “blessed day”.     Hugs

1. People like that annoy the hell outta me! Ugh!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — August 8, 2018 @ 13:25

2. Hi Scottie;
    I think those two were very rude, and I’m sorry you were subjected to that. I had a couple of ladies stop by a couple weeks ago when I was outside in the yard. They wanted to give me scripture and such, and I just told them that I was familiar with what they were saying in a different phrasing and thanked them for their care. We chatted for a few minutes and I excused myself. I did not accept their literature, but kept things friendly and so did they. They made the offer, I declined, and we simply talked as people.
    I can respect these ladies for wanting to share, but such people HAVE to be willing to respect others for having different beliefs. Those two completely disregarded your right to believe something different as well as your intelligence and moral base. They should be ashamed of their behavior, but likely are so self-important that they don’t realize how disrespectful they were.

hugs;
    randy

Comment by randy — August 8, 2018 @ 13:48

• I got the feeling they were just not prepared for someone to say the bible was made up. They were not prepared for someone to simply tell them they were an atheist. We live in the south so you know we are surrounded by churches. Heck between the store and out home which is only 1.5 miles are five churches. So they seemed not to know how to process the word atheist, so they they disregarded it and kept going with the sales pitch. I could see real confusion on the one ladies face. So I think they simply had not gotten the reaction I gave them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 8, 2018 @ 14:27

3. Wow, you gave them more time then I would have! I would have been closing my window while reversing, lol. You are too sweet:)

Comment by Minimalismtotiny — August 8, 2018 @ 14:44

• Well I try to be a gentleman in my dealings with others, I like being kind and showing courtesy. And I could see that the ladies were not really processing what I was replying to them. They seemed confused by my replies and so the fell back on their normal scripted sales pitch. I also know that in their minds they are saving a soul, so they think what they do is important. I started to get angry when they simply did not take no for an answer and kept going. As I said to Ron, if I as an atheist had acted as they did to a religious person I would be accused of all sorts of horrible social sins, but because they were wanting to talk god, they get a pass from our society. That angers me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 8, 2018 @ 14:48

• Yes, I do agree you would not have been handed the same courtesy. You would make a good buddhist! Lol. I’m still working on the compassion part:)

Comment by Minimalismtotiny — August 8, 2018 @ 15:07

• Thank you, that is a grand nice complement. I think I am too attached to my body and its needs to be a good Buddhist though. I can suffer for others if need be , but I hate to deny my self anything I really want. I am not selfish really, I just understand I have little discipline in not having that slice of apple pie I should avoid. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 8, 2018 @ 15:11

• I am curious and please if the question is out of line, disregard, but are you Buddhist? If so are you a member of the religious side of Buddhism or the philosophical side of Buddhism? If my limited understand is correct, there are two main Buddhist groups and Buddha’s status as a god is not agreed on. I have only read a little on it, but I read that Buddha himself did not want to be thought of as a god, but one of his followers did start a group that said he was one. Thanks for correcting me if I have it wrong. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 8, 2018 @ 15:15

4. I like the concept of Buddhism. The real “Buddhist”. No, I don’t see him as a god as he didn’t. I just wish to learn the compassion for myself and others that he had. I love to meditate, although my ADHD sometimes doesn’t let me:) I know that if I can get more mindful, I can also control some depression/anxiety. So, I guess I don’t really label myself as anything anymore. I know that I will never be Zen Master, Thich Nhat Hanh either, but hey, one can try!

Comment by Minimalismtotiny — August 8, 2018 @ 15:24

• I think you do grand. We all should try to understand ourselves better. That way I think we can understand the world around us better. The old saying ” To thine on self be true” is a good thing to try to do. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 8, 2018 @ 15:30