August 14, 2018

GOP Candidate, a Pastor, Wants to Go Back to When Being Gay Was “Criminalized”

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Bigotry, Homosexual, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 10:50

In one generation you and I have witnessed this country sliding from a nation who once shared a moral vision based on Judeo-Christian ethic to a nation floundering in moral decay. In one generation we have watched our nation who once believed in lifelong marriages to the same spouse to a divorce rate now well over 50 percent. We have watched in one generation where homosexuality was once criminalized to now we see the criminalization of Christianity. And I could go on and on with the entertainment, with the education, with the life issue.

That “lock the gay away” sentiment may not have been out of place when Harris was pastor of First Baptist Church Charlotte, but no electable politician should long for a time when some of his own constituents would be in prison despite doing nothing wrong.

(While we’re at it, there’s no criminalization of Christianity, either. The government is not raiding churches on Sunday mornings.)

It’s not even the only time he’s said something both nasty and untrue about the gay community. In 2013, Harris, running for U.S. Senate at the time, falsely claimed gay people choose that “lifestyle.”

1. Can’t “like” that post. Is there an “appalled” button?
    (When did the world turn insane? Last night?)

Comment by equinoxio21 — August 14, 2018 @ 10:58

• I understand. I think the world has been spinning off center for a while, but we did not notice until it got so far off balance it is banging around like an out of balance washing machine on a spin cycle. I admit I am worried. To have come so far in my life time to equality and legal civil rights, to see it all destroyed in the last few years by hate groups including the tRump administration and fundamental religious leaders. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 14, 2018 @ 11:15

• You are absolutely right. Being ten years older I remember vividly the Civil rights fight, the anti Nam war movement, Pen State, and it moved on, despite the assassinations of JFK, Dr King, Bobby Kennedy, it moved on. And since that was the continuation of a movement that started in England and France in the 18th century I thought the momentum was enough protection. Clearly not. I guess it’s time to fight back.

Comment by equinoxio21 — August 14, 2018 @ 11:35

• Yes, I agree. Our voices together with others are needed now more than ever. Thank you for being part of the movement. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 14, 2018 @ 12:48

• Don’t thank me. I wish I could do more. But we will have our own new President December 1st, who gives me great concerns too… 😦

Comment by equinoxio21 — August 15, 2018 @ 14:39

2. I wish some of these assholes would just go out and meet some gay couples in their homes of 20, 30, or 40 years of union and just fuckin get over their superiority complex where in most cases, they are living a double life with a moral fiber not even close in goodness to you and Ron, or a million others in committed relationships.

Comment by jim- — August 14, 2018 @ 11:01

• Thank you Jim, well said. I agree, LGBTQ civil rights took a leap forward when people started to realize their children were gay, their doctor, lawyer, barbar, hair stylist, and best friends were gay. However I have known people who have told me “your OK, you are not like the other gay people, they….” to justify their bigotry. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 14, 2018 @ 11:18

• Just think, if you successfully complete gay deprogramming you could be an asshole just like him.

Comment by jim- — August 14, 2018 @ 11:21

• Great Thor forbid !!! There are some people who think I am an asshole anyway. 😁🤣😂👍 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 14, 2018 @ 11:23

3. If only the values and moral underpinnings of Christianity, Islam and Judaism were actually ment to advance the human condition. Alas, they’re reserved for the Black Hole of emotional insecurity, God on high, the Cosmos champ of “love me if you know what’s good for you”.

Comment by nationofnope — August 14, 2018 @ 12:37

4. Time to make being a bigoted pastor criminal, eh.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — August 14, 2018 @ 13:57

• Wouldn’t surprise me at all. It seems to be a theme with them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 14, 2018 @ 13:59

5. A list of republican Christian anti gay hypocrites …

Comment by maryplumbago — August 14, 2018 @ 18:14