August 19, 2018

I have been in countries with universal health care, they don’t want our system

Filed under: Health, News, Political, Reason — Scottie @ 21:14

whitepeopletwitter:
““Socialized medicine” ”

1. We have insurance BCBS through my wife’s employer. We live in Houston. We aren’t poor or rich. Fortunately we are middle class and family income is in the 6 figure. Uncle Sam still takes his share and we have to budget to stay balanced. A lot of people in our income range are middle class and trying to take care of their family, pay their mortgage and maybe if lucky try to save a little something so we can survive when we’re old. God knows the gov’t wont help us when we can’t work anymore. My son had a tummy ache one night and kept throwing up. We rushed him to the nearest emergency room urgent care facility we could find. The front desk took our insurance and said no problem and it’s 150.00 copay which we gladly paid. He spent 1 hour there. They gave him some oral medication to help his stomach for the nausea until he felt better and flushed him out with some clear saline. Then sent us home an our later. The oral meds and some rest helped. We got a bill a week later for a little over 6,000 (6 thousand) dollars for 1 hour stay at an urgent care facility. 6,000 for 1 oral medication for his nausea, some saline and a 1 hour stay for his tummy ache. Turns out they were wrong when they took our insurance.. The facility wasn’t in network. Not like at that emergency time we have an option to start searching what facilities we can go to at 4:00 AM. So they sent us a bill for 6,000 for nothing. Worse comes to worse, we could pay it. We’d have to pull out of our savings account but we could handle that amount if we really had to. If you’re struggling paycheck to paycheck, you’re fucked. You go to bill collections and are wiped out over something like this. They try getting a home, a job, a credit card, etc. You have bad credit due to an unpaid bill for a needed emergency medical expense for 1 piece of oral medication and 1 hour trip to an urgent care clinic for your 7 year old. I posted this story online to an American public. You know what kind of response I got? – “You fucking retard” , ” You are an idiot. Un American. Do what everyone does and work to pay your medical bills. It you don’t make it in America it’s because you don’t want to.” I’m sure a number of people who wrote me hate mail are people who probably make less than we do. Ironic that those who need these services the most are the ones often times the most vocal about speaking out against them and their own interest.

Comment by Rudeboyrg — August 19, 2018 @ 21:53

• Wow, I am sorry you went through that, and I am glad your son is OK. I can understand. Ron and I took a young adult into our home who needed help. One day he was out in our brand new car and got into an accident, totaled the car. We insisted he get checked out as he said his chest hurt really bad. We thought we had great insurance to cover this, 100 / 300 grand insurance. Well the hospital put the young man in a cat scan and said he was just bruised nothing really wrong and we felt relived. Until he got the bill. Seems the scan cost 16,000. Yes one cat scan. Our insurance we thought covered all this, did not. They did pay 10,000 of it. That left 6000 not paid and they were calling the kid constantly for it. I was pissed for two reasons, we paid for better insurance, and also we were medical professionals working for the same hospital system. So we dug into our limited savings and paid the balance off. Now we were out one car, and lost 6 grand making sure the young man was OK. I am disabled now and my spouse is a CNA, we are not living high on the hog, but we make it. Yet we had to take out of our retirement to pay a huge medical bill that was outrageous to begin with. If we had not done that the young man’s credit would have been ruined. This country has its priorities very screwed up. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 22:10

• How typical of those who utter “If you don’t make it in America it’s because you don’t want to.”!

They invariably subscribe to the view or motto “If I can do it then anybody can.”, which I have thoroughly analyzed and debunked at https://soundeagle.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/soundeagle-in-best-moment-award-from-moment-matters/#If_I_Can

Comment by SoundEagle 🦅ೋღஜஇ — August 20, 2018 @ 01:26

2. It’s called greed…by insurance companies, hospitals, doctors etc. but mostly it’s greed of the wealthy who fight with tooth and nail to avoid paying higher taxes. And the same goes for corporations. And the Republican Party encourages this and pass tax breaks for the wealthy….hence their support.

Comment by maryplumbago — August 19, 2018 @ 22:33

3. I spent a semester in England. They love their NHS. Interestingly, it became a little less popular (but was still very popular) when the Torries made cuts to the NHS.

Comment by Brendan Birth — August 20, 2018 @ 08:27

• Yes, I have been watching Johnathan Pie on the subject. Apparently there is a push by some of their politicians to take the health system private to make it like ours. More profit for some, huge loss for the people. So they slashed the budget and hoped the people would see only the bad results of no money and not see the politicians caused the problem with the hope of taken it private. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 20, 2018 @ 10:50

4. When I was working in Canada I had a head injury while waterskiing and was taken to the hospital. Had immediate head scans and tests. All free! FREE!!!

Comment by bethanyk — August 20, 2018 @ 22:38

• It is grand isn’t. I know people here in our park who either can not afford their medications or put off going to get treatment due to costs. A woman who lived next door to me had cancer. She ended up not getting treatment because of the costs. She died much earlier than needed. We do not know if treatment would have put her in remission, but it was not even tried because she had no insurance and was lower income. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 21, 2018 @ 07:42

• Oh that’s just heart breaking and outrageous

Comment by bethanyk — August 21, 2018 @ 12:10

• I find that there are two types of people who do not want universal health care. Those wealthy enough to never have to worry about their own needs for medical care, and those poor who have been convinced by the republican party and fox news that it would destroy the nation and be a moral sin to give people health care. They vote against their own interests. The facts are we pay more now, and get less in care than many nations who have universal health care and have a smaller economy. I remember the interviews with people when the republicans were voting to get rid of Obama care. People on the ACA did not know it was Obamacare and were OK with it being destroyed. All due to fox news demonizing Obama’s name. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 21, 2018 @ 12:25

5. I’m not a young woman anymore … and lately my body has been reminding me of this quite regularly. My only insurance is straight Medicare so I have been putting aside $$ each month into a “health” fund. It had become fairly sizable and I was feeling pretty comfortable that I could take care of normal medical bills. However, over the last six months, due to this doc visit or that doc visit or this test or that test, the fund is depleted. And unfortunately, more visits and tests are on the calendar.

I agree with you Scottie — the individuals who refuse to even consider universal health care have no clue what it’s like to be sick and unable to afford needed care. But what can we do? As long as they’re the ones “in charge,” people will continue to suffer and die for lack of needed health care.

Comment by Nan — August 21, 2018 @ 12:35

• I understand. I had to wait three years for my left hip replacement because I couldn’t afford the co-pays. However during that time I needed pain medications that could be harmful and also required lots of cost and doctors visits. My Right hip was paid for my the V.A. and once I got my medicare ( 3 years after applying ) I got my left hip replaced. I wish you the best. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 21, 2018 @ 12:40