August 19, 2018

Mint

Filed under: Cartoons, Memes, News, Political, Questions — Scottie @ 10:09

Thumbnail

1. Oh how I hope and wish and yes, even pray! … that last “mint” will be put on the market soon.

Comment by Nan — August 19, 2018 @ 11:25

• Yes, but I wonder would it be better to have him stay on but be neutered by a huge Dem win in congress? First that would give the Dem’s the subpoena power to investigate every thing he has done. We could hamper him to make sure he gets no more judges. If he is impeached we are stuck with Pence who is just as rabid and radical with out the hidden crimes. That means it will be harder to control pence, and the evangelicals would rather have pence and would support him even more than tRump. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 11:37

• Excellent points! I’m just so SICK – SICK – SICK of reading and hearing about this nincompoop that I want him GONE! But you’re right. Getting a Demo majority will certainly help turn things around. Besides the fact it will be a wonderful jab at tRumpsky’s ego.

Comment by Nan — August 19, 2018 @ 11:46

• How did the computer repair go this morning? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 12:49

• STILL (!) working on it. Trying different things but so far no joy. I discovered I have a “repair disc” so that was going to be my next attempt.

I did try to reset to last known config but still nothing. And now it’s reloading the latest MS stuff. sigh I’m going to try one more time after it’s done loading and then use the disc if all else fails.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for asking!

Comment by Nan — August 19, 2018 @ 13:42

• Sounds like a good plan. I went on line and googled recover admin pass word for dell and got a 4 plan approach from dell, including a password recovery program you can get. It was an interesting read. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 13:46

• Regardless of who controls Congress, the President has unrestricted control over nuclear weapons. It is simply too dangerous to leave a man as belligerent, impulsive, and morally blind as Trump in that position for a moment beyond when it becomes possible to remove him — mortally dangerous to millions of people. In a moment of anger he could commit a genocide that would define the United States in the eyes of the world for centuries. That’s a far bigger issue than anything he threatens to do domestically.

Pence is a religious nut but he’s much more of a conventional politician. He’d carry the same risk of evil domestic policies as Trump (and could be equally effectively “neutered” by a Democratic Congress), but I wouldn’t be nearly as worried about him suddenly wiping out Tehran or Pyongyang in a fit of temper.

Comment by Infidel753 — August 19, 2018 @ 14:55

• That is a good point, and I respect it. I must ask though, do you think the Joint Chiefs and other high ranking officers would go along with tRump making any serious attack? I think that has been one of the frustrations he has is the push back he has gotten from the military on some of his wants and wishes. I think they would flat out refuse to start a world war or to attack a country just because of tRump’s fit of anger. I would love to know what others think, as I could be wrong, and it is a bad thing to be counting on and be wrong about. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 15:00

• To the best of my knowledge, the Joint Chiefs and the rest of the military would not be involved in such a decision or even necessarily know about it. Authority to fire nuclear weapons rest with the President exclusively. The entire command system is built for fast response time, not deliberation — remember it was created during the Cold War for a scenario in which a Soviet first strike would be detected and the President would have less than half an hour to launch our missiles before the Soviet missiles arrived and destroyed them. The exact response time between the President giving the launch order and the missile actually being launched is classified, but I understand it’s in the range of four to ten minutes.

Toward the end of the Nixon administration, when Nixon was constantly drunk and in an apocalyptic mood, the Secretary of Defense ordered that no order by Nixon to launch nukes should be obeyed without clearing it with him first. He had no legal authority to impose such a condition, and no one knows what would have happened if it had been put to the test. Luckily, it wasn’t.

A few months ago, Democrats in Congress proposed legislation that would require the President to get a declaration of war before using nuclear weapons, unless he was responding to an attack on the US. The proposal went nowhere. With a Republican majority, the votes weren’t there.

During the Cold War, even the Soviets had a more secure system. Their missiles took two sets of codes to launch, one of which was held by the Soviet President and the other by the Minister of Defense. Soviet missiles could only be launched if both men agreed to do it. It was a hedge against one guy blowing up the world because he suddenly went crazy or whatever. In the US, then and now, control of nuclear weapons is entirely the decision of one man.

I suppose it’s possible that Mattis might have some plan worked out to stop Trump if he tried to launch an attack. Or maybe the officers in the missile silo or submarine would decide it was an illegal order and refuse to obey. But nobody really knows whether that’s the case, or could stop Trump. I don’t want to gamble the lives of sixteen million innocent Iranians on it, not if we have the option of removing Trump instead.

To most Americans, the Middle East is some distant incomprehensible place full of scary yelling people with beards. To me it’s very different. I’ve been there, I’ve studied the languages and the history, I’ve known or at least met a lot of people who came from there. It’s the part of the world I know most vividly, outside of the US. And now all those people are at the mercy of this bigoted jackass with his rages and paranoia and ignorance. It’s haunted me every day since he took office.

Comment by Infidel753 — August 19, 2018 @ 17:36

• I agree with you. I was in charge of a detachment to the DCIC in Stuttgart Germany, My team provided communications for them. My two roommates worked on the other side of the glass from us in the nuclear missile launch room. I never asked them much but they constantly complained about how far backward the equipment was. I do know the “football” has the codes, but how they are implemented I never asked. I can not help but think the upper military command has taken the steps to simply not honor a demand from tRump to launch nuclear weapons with out agreement from another source. But I can not swear it is so. I do know that if I were I wouldn’t but then I know how badly dumb and screwed up tRump is because my husband was his butler. The stories you hear are true. He is a bigot big time, if he knew Ron was gay he would have fired him. He was terrified of getting aids from gay people and he had only few people he would let handle his food. He was a total racist. He doesn’t see colored people as real humans. He is dumb. He is all about his needs, wants and pleasures. He is a narcissist egomaniac. He is very much a spoiled child who never got told no. He never got the approval of his father. His father constantly bailed him out. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 17:50

• Scottie, may I use the part of this last comment …. starting at “The stories you hear are true …” I know you’ve included this description on various blogs, but I’d like to give it wider exposure by including it in a post on my blog. Thx.

Comment by Nan — August 19, 2018 @ 18:36

• Of course Nan, any time. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 18:43

• When Ron worked for him at Mar-a-largo no one was allowed to tell him he was wrong. No matter what he said he was always correct. I know it frustrated many of the staff, who would simply try to fix problems before he even knew about them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 19, 2018 @ 18:47