August 23, 2018

A sign of the racism that persists in America

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 15:57

An informative read and a reminder that racism is still strong in our country. There are people actively trying to take us back to a time before civil rights laws. Even with the civil rights laws we did not have equality, and we need to remind everyone what bigotry can and will do. Hugs

Why Evolution Is True

The story of Emmett Till, a 14-year old black boy from Chicago who was lynched in 1955, is a shameful chapter in American history. Many of you know about it, but I’ll briefly give the salient facts. Till was visiting relatives in Mississippi when the white wife of a local grocery-store owner told locals that Till had entered the store and whistled at her, flirted with her, and grabbed her. (Details vary, and she admitted later that she made at least part of the story up. It may be entirely fabricated.)

Flirting with a white woman was effectively a capital crime in the South at that time, and two white men, Roy Bryant and J. W. Milam, abducted Till, beat him severely, shot him, and then tossed his body, weighted down with a fan, into the Tallahatchie River. His disfigured corpse was recovered three days later and returned to…

View original post 352 more words

1. That was a well-written article even knowing about what happened. I’m glad they mentioned the desecrated sign and how that woman admitted to lying about Emmett Till. She’s still alive to this day and her location is unknown to the public. She’s an accessory to child murder and everyone should know that. It seems as though evil people live long while good people get murdered and their killers get away with it.

Comment by ospreyshire — August 23, 2018 @ 17:41

• I was thinking how 1955 was not that long ago. Sadly there are people who are sick and angry enough to think killing black people is acceptable. I don’t know how they live with themselves. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 23, 2018 @ 17:55

• Of course and it makes you wonder how far we really (haven’t) progressed as a nation. It reminds me of Jesse Williams’s acceptance speech from the BET Awards where he talked about police brutality.

It is sad, but I’ve stopped being surprised in this day and age. I’ve wondered the same things with those degenerates and how they can live and think with that much hatred in their hearts.

Comment by ospreyshire — August 23, 2018 @ 20:02

2. This is just awful! No words.
    hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — August 24, 2018 @ 09:10

• Thanks Michelle. I know your ancestors also faced horrible bigotry and persecution. I know that even today Native Americans are subject to abuse and racism. It has to stop. All of it. How I do not know, but I know it is wrong and must stop. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 24, 2018 @ 11:44

• So sad we all dream, we all bleed, we all hurt and we are capable of such good and such evil. It’s sd to see people practice being so evil. My native tongue has no word for hate.

Comment by Michelle Styles — August 24, 2018 @ 12:08

• Most people don’t know how much we gained from the Natives for our bill of rights and the constitution. I was stunned when I followed a link on a Lakota page and listen to a documentary on the fact that during the writing of the constitution there were Native People who were there being consulted. I wish things had been different and our ancestors would have shared the land respectfully with each other. I like the system of long houses used by the Natives and other ideas they could have taught the white new comers. While we can’t change the past we ( all of us ) can work to stop the discrimination of First Peoples happening right now. We are all part of this planet and we should act like we are all brothers and sisters. IMO. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 24, 2018 @ 13:02